Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gnoahhh....knows, all ya gotta do is listen.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I shot numerous Lyman and T/C guns over the years. Usually in .54 cal.
Then over a year ago I got the bug to find a gun that shot better than the 1-48" twist would allow with a patched round ball. I found a used T/C Renegade at Dixon's. The previous owner had ditched the factory barrel and replaced it with a 32" Green Mountain barrel, 1-60" twist. My usual load is 90 grains of FFFg, .530 ball, .020" patch. I tried that in this gun and my first three shots all touched at 100 yards. Now it was just under an inch to the right, but I didn't touch anything.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Sounds like a keeper. Besides the barrel, the lock on the ones I'm considering are reported to be smoother and more reliable and of higher quality. I guess it's the same story you can get it done with a plain Jane remington or a deluxe sako.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One of these days I'll make it to Dixon's Gun Fair. Been threatening to for many years....

Yeah, if you throw bears into the mix a .50-.62 makes sense, unless you're a really picky shooter who can thread a smaller ball precisely where it needs to go. Not beyond the capabilities of a lot of guys, but bears, even in PA are not a really common commodity and it would be a shame to pass one up because you couldn't slip that little ball perfectly into its brain pan or spinal column.

Don Hamilton, of Pumpkin Mountain Gun Shop in the Adirondacks, had a bullseye tacked on the wall with a single bullet hole perfectly smack dead center. When I asked about the significance of it he chuckled and fetched out a pretty .50 flint long rifle and said it was the first shot out the tube of the gun, administered at midnight after finally getting the gun together (still in an unfinished state), over the hood of the Chevy pickup, by the lights of his wife's car illuminating the target 50 yards away. He said "good enough", cleaned the gun and went in to grab a couple hours sleep before the bear season opener in the morning. He then turned and pointed to a dandy black bear head mount on the opposite wall, which succumbed to the second shot ever out of that barrel, one hour into the season. Hit it high in the neck right behind the skull. He was a helluva guy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you’re worried about ‘cleaning’ probably best to take up golf or mumbly peg!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
MMmmm, not "worried" about cleaning, just wasn't sure how it was done compared to production guns that I take the barrel off and use a bucket of soap and hot water. Couldn't see from the pics I saw IF or HOW the barrel comes off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you’re worried about ‘cleaning’ probably best to take up golf or mumbly peg!

there is no smell like boiling water and BP mixing! makes cleaning something I actually look forward to! one of the smells that makes me feel 60 years younger!
ps. I enjoy a good game of mumbly peg too!
never bagged a golf in my life.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
MMmmm, not "worried" about cleaning, just wasn't sure how it was done compared to production guns that I take the barrel off and use a bucket of soap and hot water. Couldn't see from the pics I saw IF or HOW the barrel comes off.

Most long rifles, the barrel is pinned to the stock, and it is semi-permanent. So the barrel stays in the stock.
Generally you take off the lock and clean that is a soapy water bucket.
The rest of the gun resides in a cradle where I squirt in a cleaning solution. I usually do this at the range because it is messy to do in the house. I usually use Simple Green, because it is said to not have salts in it. Most soaps are loaded with salt, so read the labels. I pump this solution out of the flash hole with a cleaning rod with a pretty tight patch. I repeat that until I feel it is pretty clean, then I use a new patch and check the cleanliness. When it appears clean, I switch to dry patches. If the dry patch is dirty I repeat the Simple Green scrub.
Then I apply a damp patch with water and Ballistrol mixture. That serves to cut the residual acid residue, and again as a cleaner. This step is intended to chemically clean contamination in the metal pours. I then dry the barrel, then apply pure ballistrol. I usually swab with Ballistrol the next day just to assure the carbon/sulphur residue is cut.
Pretty easy to do.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's pretty much how I do it too. I bind a fluffy rag around the lock mortise to catch the black goop that spritzes out the touch hole in order to keep that effluvia off the wood.

For de-mountable barrels, such as found on half-stock guns with hooked breeches and forend keys, and muskets with barrels banded to their stocks, I take a different approach. I step into a hot shower with barrel and cleaning rod in hand and clean it at the same time I clean myself. Away go troubles, down the drain!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Got it !

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pinned barrels come off just fine. It's not hard to do, but you do need to exercise some common sense. I have kids and dogs. No one, NO ONE, is allowed in the kitchen when I am cleaning a flintlock and dismounting the barrel. The fore stocks are very slender and would be easily broken in an "oops". Everyone is banished from the room until I'm done.

Lately, I've taken to using Bill Slusser's breech face brushes and his cleaning method. You can find it on YouTube. Simple and effective.

I still think they should come out of the stocks once a year. I do mine around the end of flintlock season.

The other thing that should be done that is often missed is pulling the frizzen off the lock to clean the gunk out that accumulates that doesn't easily come out. I don't like to dunk my lock. I clean it with a little dawn and water, and then set it on my pellet stove to dry while I do the rest. Then lightly oil and replace the lock when the gun is otherwise done.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
LOL! Noticing the thread purge when I got home last evening. No biggie!

But! I had to excuse myself yesterday morning because the opportunity to do a quick scout up on the ranch presented itself. Feb 16 and it was almost 80 degrees! So much for my enjoyable "cool" sojourn in the Texas Hill country! Well I made the best of it. Went to places I hadn’t been in 45 years! Lots and i mean lots of pig sign.
Ended up down on the cypress lined creek. No pigs were harmed, but I’ll be back!

Smoothrifle is still loaded with buckshot. May try again before the weekend. When I do clean, I’ll try to post pics of my tow and tow worm for those who have never seen them in action.

Shameless selfie from back in the hills of Blanco county.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Down on the creek bluff. Ol’ smoothrifle.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/17/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, that's a pretty flintlock. Any information would be appreciated.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by SS336
Wow, that's a pretty flintlock. Any information would be appreciated.

20 gauge Virginia style smoothrifle built by the late GL Jones formerly of Tremonton (sic) Utah. It’s a sweet gun to pack all day! Weights around 7 pounds.

I have two of Glen L’s guns this one, And a .50 cal Virginia style rifled gun I got from him is about 1996.

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice, thanks

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by SS336
Very nice, thanks

Thanks you!!!!

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My new-to-me 16ga fowler with a tree rat it dropped from a branch where said rat thought itself safe....

Turkeys are on the menu for this one later in the spring.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very niiice!!!! An elegant fusil if I may say! Yeah I may have to do a turkey hunt this year. I like calling em up in the spring with the old wingbone.

Again, very nice smoothie!!!!

Founder

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Could someone explain the loading sequence to me on these smoothbores? powder, what? shot, what? What do you use and why? Thanks.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Depends on what smoothie I’m totin’ that day.

The one above is loaded in this sequence;

Powder
Thin greased card wad
Two greased felt wads
Buckshot or round ball
Thin greased card.

My northwest gun

Powder
Hunk of wasp nest
Shot or round ball
Another hunk of wasp nest
I get real laid back when hunting with a NW gun! 😁

Fusil de chasse
About the same as Northwest gun
Depends a lot on what wadding I may have in pouch 😁
I have LOTS of wasp/yellow jacket nests.
It works real well and it dissipates rapidly and does not burn.

I generally use equal volumes powder to shot. Sometimes mebbe a tad more shot.

I have a 5/8" punch that I cut felt wads out of old hats with. Also cut card wads outta some stiff pasteboard. I put em in an old shoe polish can (remember shoe polish?) and put in a hunk of home made lube. Usually either beeswax and olive oil. Or beeswax and bear oil. Melt it with m heat gun and let it soak into felt wads.

With wasp nest I just break off a piece of nest and use it for over powder and overshot. I get lazy. But it works ok!

All folks have their own ways of doing things.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/18/20.

Founder

WS

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
493 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.