Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Loaded up some 9mm 150 gr coated lead SWCs last night with different quantities of Titegroup. Took them to the range today with my chronograph and fired ten rounds of each of three loadings and averaged the velocities of each load. I settled on a "go to" load of 3.5 gr Titegroup using Winchester primers and a 150 gr (actually 149 gr) coated cast lead bullet from BayouBullets.com. Velocity averaged 995 FPS and accuracy very good. Pistol used was a Beretta M-92F. I would say that is pretty good firepower from a "wonder nine".

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Careful with small charges of TiteGroup in the 9mm. That 3.5gr load is hard to visually check, even when double charged, and that powder is not at all tolerant of high charge weights.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/14/20.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Yondering
Careful with small charges of TiteGroup in the 9mm. That 3.5gr load is hard to visually check, even when double charged, and that powder is not at all tolerant of high charge weights.

Good advice. A little bit of Titegroup goes a long ways. I load everything on a single stage Lee press using Lee dies. Powder is hand filled through the die and I check each load with an electronic scale before it goes in. I take a quick glance before I put the bullet in the cartridge case. Only then does it go into the loading block to await seating. I marvel at the idea of using a progressive loader, but as much as I have seen powder measures vary in what they dispense, some powders more so than others, the more I like the slower equipment for accuracy. Titegroup seems to measure really consistently and Universal is pretty good. I have had problems getting Unique to meter well.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I switched from Tightgroup to Alliant sport pistol as it has a better case fill, loading on a XL650 both meter very well and make great range ammo!

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Titegroup seems to measure really consistently and Universal is pretty good. I have had problems getting Unique to meter well.

Universal can be treated as a better metering replacement for Unique. For a bulkier replacement of Titegroup, Clays is worth considering. I use 3.3gr of Clays under some of my 9mm loads, and that leaves the case about half full, unlike TiteGroup where I can't see the powder with the same weight charge while running it through my Dillon 550.

I have not tried Sport Pistol but have heard it's good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

+1

I was a big fan of Titegroup for all sorts of pistol loads for over a decade until I got my progressive. The Powder-Cop could not tell the difference between single and a double. I went to Universal instead.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E https://imgur.com/a/4FKS6wF

This is a lot faster than you think. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Henry, you inspired me. I rummaged around in my storage and found bullet's I'd cast years ago from an RCBS 150 "Keith" mold. Lubed and sized 3 of them .356 and loaded with 3.2 gr TiteGroup, we'll see how they do.

P.S. Trickled the charges into scale and charged the cases immediately to avoid any chance of a double charge.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I also tried 3.3 gr Titegroup and 3.4 gr Titegroup, ten loads of each. The 3.3 gr loads averaged 934 FPS and the 3.4 loads averaged 968 FPS. And, as I posted earlier, my favorite that I settled on was 3.5 gr Titegroup which averaged 995 FPS.

I could not find any published data for these 150 gr (actually 149) 9mm coated cast SWCs, but Hodgdon data for a 147 gr Hornady XTP called for a max of 3.6 gr Titegroup, COL 1.1", 929 FPS, 27,500 CUP. I loaded mine to 1.13" COL and the bullet's actual weight is only 2 grains heavier than the XTP. I happened to have a 9mm XTP and weighed it to compare and it is actually right on 147 gr as advertised. So, since I was loading a coated lead bullet instead of a jacketed XTP and using 1 grain less powder, I felt safe with it. I got 66 FPS more than the max loaded XTP with my coated lead SWC load of .1 grain less powder. Works for me.

Last edited by Henryseale; 02/16/20. Reason: forgot to add a decimal point

IC B3

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
135 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.