Hop To
#14189318 10/09/19
R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone working with one? Share your findings if you don’t mind.

Wasn’t planning on buying one, but I stopped at the gun counter to check out the Christensen ridgeline and ended up buying one. Factory 1-8” and plenty of mag room.. pards tell me Christensen is making a decent rifle these days.. good to hear because the few I tried a decade ago were terrible.

Factory 225eldm printed an 1-1/2 horizontal group. Got devcon drying in the stock and scope base now. I think it’ll come around.

Also picked up some 250 Atips for the fun of it . Sexy bastards .also Have a 225eldm load right on the lands ready as well when she’s dry.

Looks like RE26,IMR8133 and retumbo are top performers. I used 26 with the 225’s and 8133 for the 250’s .

I’ve heard of guys having best results with 200’s and 210M primers, I went with 215 and 250’s to start.

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finished putting one together a few weeks ago - Rem 700 LA Ultra, Bartlein 8T Varmint contour, fluted and finished @ 26". Initial testing has been promising. Factory 212ELD-X @ 2880 easily group 1/2MOA.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anymore updates on your PRC? Is the 8 twist shooting well? I thought of putting one together and I've always preferred to error on the side of faster twist but 8 just seems like a lot of twist on a 30.

I did do a 30-06 Serengeti on a rock 9 twist a few years ago but I never was able to get that rifle to shoot well. It wasn't a twist problem the rifle just never shot great even in different stocks with several different loads. I had 2 of those 9 twist barrels from the same batch.

The guy that bought the other had a different smith do a 300 rum on his it it never shot well either. We wondered if it was a bad batch of steel.

I was thinking for a PRC I'd do a 8.5 or 9 but if the 8s work I'll just go that route. Better more twist than not enough.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't had it out much lately. Cold weather has set in and makes it somewhat uncomfortable to go out and shoot and/or shoot well. I have about 40 rnds (factory) down the tube. I am very happy with the performance (accuracy). I'm seeing any down points to the 8T barrel, and if the need/desire was there I'd build another with the 8T. To this point, weather and all, it's shoots 1/2 MOA, or better (when I do my part!). Shot it at a 55gal barrel lid early last week when the weather was above 30deg and the wind was at rest. Furthest I could shoot was 550yds. 5rnds in a 2 1/2" circle at 550.

I have decided to move away from the hinged floor plate and go with a DBM. Just boxed it up and sent the McM Game Hunter to McMillan on Friday to have it re-inletted ($56) for M5 DBM, so it's sitting as a scoped, barreled action right now.

Had the 6.5PRC out this morning in the deer stand. Had a chance at a nice size doe at about 400, but didn't pull the trigger. Area behind the target (doe) wasn't clear, and I felt it was better to be safe than sorry. Pretty sure I'll get more opportunities with it. Loaded some 140gr Partitions. Want to see haw they do out of the PRC vs the 143ELD-X. The Partitions aren't as accurate (1MOA) as the ELDs (.38MOA), but I've always like the way they perform on game.

My plan is to do some testing (accuracy, anyways) with the 200gr Partition in the 300 PRC when I get the stock back and reasonable day to shoot presents itself.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Yes its shooting really well now after some bedding tweaks.

Right now I’m using 220 scenars/8133. I settled on it because it was easy, it’ll stack them at 100 and has very low vertical at distance.It’s not a full pressure load, clocking 2870. I was in a hurry to send it hunting so called it good. The 220 isn’t exactly best in class BC wise but damn they tune themselves.

I couldn’t get the 230 OTM’s that I wanted to use in time. I have them now but won’t be messing with it for a few months, also have some 215 hybrids and 230 Atips to sort out. I tried 250 Atips they shot good but I can’t get enough speed out of them to make any sense in the PRC. 230’s are at home in the cartridge though just haven’t settled on which one yet. ADG will have brass out by next spring, I’ll re visit it all then.

As for the 8 twist I don’t see the downside, but then again I have nothing else to compare it to, but the barrel/twist isn’t an issue on my rifle, after a little bedding TLC it seems to shoot just about everything with acceptable accuracy.just need to get a 230 shooting like the scenars. Might be a tall order.

Factory loaded 225eldm shot right under an inch for 8 shots, so I’m pretty pleased with that.

only good tag I had this year I couldn’t go because of my work schedule. so besides helping friends fill some good tags I haven’t hunted big game at all this year, so instead of waiting for field testing My hunting pard took the rifle and got it bloody.

He has a late AZ elk tag next week that I’m going down to help out on, he’s a picky bastard, but hopefully we’ll turn up a bull he wants to punch with it.

The buck he got on the hunt I couldn’t make.. shot was 430 yards, he heart shot him, buck ran 40 yards and piled up. No exit, he said the vitals looked like they’d been through the blender. Only the jacket was found..RPM’s matter!
[Linked Image from i540.photobucket.com]

Last edited by rosco1; 11/23/19. Reason: Dyslexic
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Did he take the buck with your scenar load? I've killed a few bucks, an antelope, and a 5 point bull elk over the last 4 or 5 years with the 215 hybrid at 2800 fps mv from my custom 300 wsm. The 215 works really well. When I get a prc I'll probably try the 225 elds and 230 beer cans.

Thanks,
Bb

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ll build one this summer.. gonna be lightish, very well thought out bullet/cartridge combo, again...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too am planning a 300 prc as my next do all build

R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Did he take the buck with your scenar load? I've killed a few bucks, an antelope, and a 5 point bull elk over the last 4 or 5 years with the 215 hybrid at 2800 fps mv from my custom 300 wsm. The 215 works really well. When I get a prc I'll probably try the 225 elds and 230 beer cans.

Thanks,
Bb

Yes the scenar load.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Anymore updates on your PRC? Is the 8 twist shooting well? I thought of putting one together and I've always preferred to error on the side of faster twist but 8 just seems like a lot of twist on a 30.

I did do a 30-06 Serengeti on a rock 9 twist a few years ago but I never was able to get that rifle to shoot well. It wasn't a twist problem the rifle just never shot great even in different stocks with several different loads. I had 2 of those 9 twist barrels from the same batch.

The guy that bought the other had a different smith do a 300 rum on his it it never shot well either. We wondered if it was a bad batch of steel.

I was thinking for a PRC I'd do a 8.5 or 9 but if the 8s work I'll just go that route. Better more twist than not enough.

Bb

My dad and I had two 300 WBYs built for a plains game hunt in Africa this past May. Both are on Defiance Rebels with 23" fluted #3 Mullerworks cut-rifled barrels; mine is a 4R 8"twist and his is a 6 groove 10" twist.

Interestingly, they both shot the exact same load (180gr CEB Lazer over 80gr R23) the best with consistent groups under 1/2 MOA. Velocities in the two were within 15fps of each other with the 6 groove 10" the faster barrel at 3190 fps average.

Our take-away, albeit with a limited sample size, is that there is no real downside to the faster twist in a hunting rifle and that it gives you the option of using heavier/longer bullets if desired.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
IC B3

R
rosco1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Did you notice any terminal difference between the two on animals killed? Would be interesting where you were using the same bullets at roughly the same speed.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by rosco1
Did you notice any terminal difference between the two on animals killed? Would be interesting where you were using the same bullets at roughly the same speed.

No discernible difference in terminal performance.

All six animals were 1 shot bang flops:

Zebra - 160yds
Blue Wildebeest - 262yds
Sable - 90yds
Warthog - 270yds
Warthog - 180yds
Impala - 490yds

As an aside, a 180gr CEB Lazer from a 300 Wby far outpenetrates a 270gr Barnes LRX from a 378 Wby on a cape buffalo at 60yds...

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Bb

I'm waiting on parts, but my Bartlein 3B will be 1:9.5. I'm probably using 210 Bergers or 212/220 ELD-x and 9.5 twist is more than enough (per stability calculations and Bartlein's advice) for any of those. Why overtwist it? I'm not shooting match 250's out of it; strictly hunting.

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rosco1
Anyone working with one? Share your findings if you don’t mind.

Wasn’t planning on buying one, but I stopped at the gun counter to check out the Christensen ridgeline and ended up buying one. Factory 1-8” and plenty of mag room.. pards tell me Christensen is making a decent rifle these days.. good to hear because the few I tried a decade ago were terrible.

Factory 225eldm printed an 1-1/2 horizontal group. Got devcon drying in the stock and scope base now. I think it’ll come around.

Also picked up some 250 Atips for the fun of it . Sexy bastards .also Have a 225eldm load right on the lands ready as well when she’s dry.

Looks like RE26,IMR8133 and retumbo are top performers. I used 26 with the 225’s and 8133 for the 250’s .

I’ve heard of guys having best results with 200’s and 210M primers, I went with 215 and 250’s to start.

[Linked Image]
......................Not working with one yet. But plan to own one. A great looking and well designed round for a non reloader, of which I am planning to become one soon. Hopefully your 225 gr ELDm groupings will tighten up...

Probably gonna go with a Bergara Premier. Extremely accurate. The Approach or the HMR Pro....Dunno yet. Still a contemplat 'n........Love that 375 Ruger case.....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Spent a season on mine 9 twist 28" PROOF with factory 212 ELDX.

No surprises here, but the 212 holds up surprising well on 1/4 shots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If it's a hunting rifle and you're not above, say, 220 ELD-X, then 8 is a lot of twist IMHO. My Bartlein 3B is 9.5 twist for 210, 212, 215, 220 bullets. I'll post a report when the gunplumber is done snapping it together.

PS If 9.5 sounds too slow, check out a few stabilizer calculators. I did and discussed it with my 'smith and Bartlein; they agreed.

Murphy was a grunt.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by fremont

Bb

I'm waiting on parts, but my Bartlein 3B will be 1:9.5. I'm probably using 210 Bergers or 212/220 ELD-x and 9.5 twist is more than enough (per stability calculations and Bartlein's advice) for any of those. Why overtwist it? I'm not shooting match 250's out of it; strictly hunting.

I used to be in this camp too. I have since seen too many things and learned more that causes me to think differently. IF you are shooting short range bench rest- don't over twist it. You can shoot 100 yards with light bullets with little twist. MORE twist IMPROVES the BC at longer ranges, it also improves terminal performance dramatically.

In conversation with Bryan Litz at SHOT show, he said that they use 1-8 for pretty much EVERYTHING as a starting point and twist it even MORE if needed. No pressure issues with up to 1-6" twist. Shooting groups at 100 or even 500 will never tell you the real story, you need a doppler RADAR to see what is really going on. I have been thinking of building 300 PRC, I will certainly use a 1-8 twist barrel on it.

I have shot hundreds of coyotes with .222 and .223. When using 53 and 55 grain Vmax or even 50 grain I almost always got pass-throughs with my 12 and 14 twist barrels. Simply switching to an AR-15 with an 8 twist using the same load produced almost NO pass-throughs and dramatic internal damage. Those RPMs really do matter.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have the dummies run the numbers yet? Edge vs 300 prc? Laughing here.. 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 72 invisible), 2,928 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.