Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Looking to go on my first turkey hunt this spring. Need the whole kit but not looking to pay outrageous prices. So what used but in good shape items do you have? I’ve got a shotgun and bow, and other general deer/waterfowl items so covered on those.

Need calls, vest w/ seat, decoys, possibly camo I’m XL, other things I’m missing...

Good is not good when better is expected. ~ Thomas Fuller
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
First get whatever calls you are going to use and practice until you feel confident. Any ordinary Camo will work. A vest and decoys are not necessary, but if you want them so be it.

CK
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'll save you some moeny...skip the vest. Carry a few calls and a cushion to sit on. You don't need 3.5" or even 3" shells to kill a turkey. You also don't "need" Hevi-shot, but it sure as hell helps.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Get a box call, Lynch or Paul Meek, and a scratch box and you're in good shape for calls. If you get a vest get one with a comfortable seat as turkey hunting is a patient waiting game and a virtue.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Skip the Decoys. Get the vest with a good seat. Aluminum pot call with a high mega hertz frequency works great for firing up mid day gobblers. Slate over glass pot call for seductive smooth talk. Learn to work a mouth call if you can stand it. They are great for closing the deal when you dont want to move and have both hands on the gun. Heavy Shot kicks birds ass... I dont use box calls, but a lot of people do. use what works for you. Listen to real turkeys and learn to put the emotion into the calls. that's more important than sounding exactly right. Cadence and emotion are what calls in educated birds. Woodsmanship and knowing how to set up is THE most important factor. Set up at the edge of a hill or cover so that the bird has to be in range when he can see where the calls are coming from. Kill him as soon as he stops and stretches his head up. If he starts clucking or putting, it;'s all over.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I probably have a call or two laying around..ill take a look this weekend.

G
GTN Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Kota
Skip the Decoys. Get the vest with a good seat. Aluminum pot call with a high mega hertz frequency works great for firing up mid day gobblers. Slate over glass pot call for seductive smooth talk. Learn to work a mouth call if you can stand it. They are great for closing the deal when you dont want to move and have both hands on the gun. Heavy Shot kicks birds ass... I dont use box calls, but a lot of people do. use what works for you. Listen to real turkeys and learn to put the emotion into the calls. that's more important than sounding exactly right. Cadence and emotion are what calls in educated birds. Woodsmanship and knowing how to set up is THE most important factor. Set up at the edge of a hill or cover so that the bird has to be in range when he can see where the calls are coming from. Kill him as soon as he stops and stretches his head up. If he starts clucking or putting, it;'s all over.

Good advice here. Walmart camo will be fine, if you have some buddies that turkey hunt play around with there calls and see what you like. I wouldn't spend a ton on decoys until you get into it. I use them about 50% of the time I guess.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Appreciate all the great advice!

I’ve had a few guys reach out to me on a few items and I’ll be getting back to them this weekend. Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Academy is running sale on some camo
Dude don't break the bank till you know
When you call that big tom in 20 yes drumming and strutting and gobbling then you will know you hooked
And if something happens and you don't kill him then game
On. Lol have fun and enjoy . Gray slate easiest to use or a good box and as they said a good cushion

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a backpack/seat...Eastman Outfitters brand...let me dig it out and snap some pics...$25 TYD ???

Dedicated Master of the Western Influenced Martial Art known simply as "KLIK PAO" !!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
the number one turkey hunting thing I own was a collapsible/fold up seat I bought last year. Like one of those cheap camp chairs every store sells, but has basically no legs on it. Gets you off the ground by an inch or so, but it has a back to it do you can relax while hunting instead of straining to sit up or lean on a tree. Very comfortable.

Same principal as this one. Every manufacturer makes their version of it.

Collapsible turkey chair

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't skip the decoys, get 1 or 2 cheap inflatable decoys, weigh nothing and fit in your vest back pocket. Sometimes you don't even have to call. Ive had turkeys see them from 400 yds away and walk right in. Good seat or cushion and a tape to practice calls to.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I wouldn't skip the decoys, get 1 or 2 cheap inflatable decoys, weigh nothing and fit in your vest back pocket. Sometimes you don't even have to call. Ive had turkeys see them from 400 yds away and walk right in. Good seat or cushion and a tape to practice calls to.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Prohunter3509
Academy is running sale on some camo
Dude don't break the bank till you know
When you call that big tom in 20 yes drumming and strutting and gobbling then you will know you hooked
And if something happens and you don't kill him then game
On. Lol have fun and enjoy . Gray slate easiest to use or a good box and as they said a good cushion

Saw the Academy sale and was going to run up there today. They also have the inflatable decoys Badwolf was talking about so I thought I’d check those out too. Thanks guys

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Waiting to hear back from a few guys who were going to send pics of packs and calls...

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn’t go turkey hunting without a decoy.

My favorite and most productive box call in 25 years of turkey hunting below. Get one.

https://www.amazon.com/Lynch-Fool-Proof-Turkey-Call/dp/B0000AVZ2R

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Advice=== don't over call. once he answers you he is coming in stop calling.. he knows exactly where you are.. sit so you can see up hill as he will circle you and come in from the highest location near you... a young jake sometimes will come to you from any direction and in pairs have fun..

PS shoot him in the head with #6 shot..

Last edited by Hubert; 02/15/20.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Because we lost all posts from today...

WL205 hooked me up with a slate call. Still looking for a vest and maybe some cheap camo if you all have it. Or other calls too. Text pics and prices to 214-232-2597 or send it via pm.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,693
Posts18,456,598
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.