Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My daughter has taken a few classes in Anchorage over the past winter and is all pumped up tp yank some lips this spring , any of you guy got some extra stuff to hook her up ? ..she was at cabelas the other nite looking things over @ 200$ ....dont think she needs to start out there, and not without me puting my paws on it . My self i caught a whole lotta stuff with my #7DT setup. Pm me if u like .

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I plan on taking it all with me.

Road kill, though, can build up ones material collection quite quickly. Sewing/material shops also sell lots of materials and do not have the 200% mark up seen in fly establishments. Sorry about not helping at the moment, but best of luck to her.

1Minute
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
They have a few kits on the site for $150-ish with everything. The Prestige line isn't too bad for the price.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you talking fly tying or fishing? I assume you are talking the latter.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i can't part with much, but suggest joining a club if one is in the neighborhood, always a lot of stuff floating around

if she needs a vice let me know, can work a deal

or, what the heck, here's a road trip: Expo

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
My daughter has taken a few classes in Anchorage over the past winter and is all pumped up tp yank some lips this spring , any of you guy got some extra stuff to hook her up ? ..she was at cabelas the other nite looking things over @ 200$ ....dont think she needs to start out there, and not without me puting my paws on it . My self i caught a whole lotta stuff with my #7DT setup. Pm me if u like .

Is she tying her own?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
i can't part with much, but suggest joining a club if one is in the neighborhood, always a lot of stuff floating around

if she needs a vice let me know, can work a deal

or, what the heck, here's a road trip: Expo

The Alaska Fly Fishers are in an oxygen tent... used to be a reasonable group, but no more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
well, that's a shame...a fly fishing trip to AK is a prized experience

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I might have way too much stuff around here that I'm not using anymore.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Is she looking for trout weight gear or salmon weight?

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tying or fishing gear? TFO and Redding have some great entry level rigs. I have rods costing close to $1,000 but still enjoy using my sons Redding rod.

Both have excellent guarantees. I have half of a walk in closet full of fly tying materials, some are in bulk form and I could send you some of the odds and ends. It is best when starting out to concentrate on just a couple of patterns and get the materials just for those instead of winding up with an odd ball assortment that may not get used.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the pm's fellows ! She' s going fishing .....she would be starting small and working up i caught alot of fish big and small with my #7DT !

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just wanted to add that a few years back i took all my kid size archery stuff( that i raised the kids on ), manuel range finder, old binos etc.. to a gun show/ buddy's booth, and had him ..give ... it to a deserving young man that came along ...happy day to some kid im sure!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, but your post reads like a "Im going hunting in Ak, what rifle should I bring?" post.

Specifics man, what're you trying to get? rods? Reels? fly tying supplies?
What would she be fishing for? Trout? Reds? Kings?

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, but your post reads like a "Im going hunting in Ak, what rifle should I bring?" post.

LOL

leave him alone, he's doing the best he can...!!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Thank you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2

Thank you.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by cwh2

Thank you.

+1

+2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna carries a bunch of serviceable gear for reasonable prices. I've used their Okuma Kenai Red 9'-8 rod for flipping for reds and was pleased with the results ($43). My cabin neighbor has been very happy with the Okuma SLV 8-9 reel ($50ish). Haven't looked for lighter gear but they likely have additional options.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Getting my azz beat here ..lol.. she wants to take up fly fishing , she aint got nothing ...imo she needs to start on regular fish before she hits them line striping salmon up . Heck she aint even looking for FREE, i figured some of you guys out there were alot like.... me a good purge of stuff thats sitting aroud mite be a good thing ! Rite down the road a few miles a young family is clearing some land a starting a home build... im about wraped up with my place and unbeknownst to them they are about to get and entire pickup full of brand new left over building materials and tooks that i have 2 of .....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.