Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Reloder28
How many times have you ever truly needed that third shot? Thinking about going to an O/U for all my hunting. Could you?

Want vs. Need, in my opinion. I hunt mainly with O/U or SxS 16s these days. Do have a pump and an autoloader. There have been times when I've had opportunity to shoot a third round, and have been caught with an empty gun as a result of my choices. Where I hunt, most of my quarry has a 3 bird limit anyhow. As much as I appreciate being able to take a double or triple (and I have), I want my days afield to last a bit longer.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, love a repeater on chukar, though have killed quite a few with a double. Also like them on Huns, especially early in the season. (Daily limit is 8 here in Montana.)

Have also appreciated repeaters on early-season sharptails--and also "mountain" grouse, as they're called in Montana, whether ruffed, blues or the subspecies of spruce called Franklin's. All can get up in rather ragged or scattered flushes, and I like having additional shots as they do.

Once killed a 4-bird limit of sharptails from one covey early in September. when Eileen was working on her upland bird cookbook (commissioned by Ducks Unlimited, oddly enough, after she did their duck and goose cookbook). We both love to eat all sorts of wild birds. Under some conditions is practical, and sometimes it isn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I go back and forth between a Citori and A-5's, all sixteen gauges so I don't mix shells and its all fun. If you HAVE to kill that second or third bird, where's the fun?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
If you seldom get to hunt birds, it becomes a bit more important...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TraderVic
[quote=erich]It really comes down to on how you judge the hunt, is the number of birds killed or the esthetics of the hunt that determine the quality of the hunt.

I was going to say something similar.

+1

The other question that comes to my mind is this: Let's say you're hunting with 5 rounds instead of 2 or 3. You hit a covey of quail and manage to hit one with each of your 5 rounds. Now what? Where I bird hunted, each bird was going to run you $15 apiece. You've just blown $60 in less than 10 seconds and probably shot every bird in that end of the field and possibly wounded a few more that you didn't find. Even the dog is looking at you like you're an Arschloch.

I normally hunted with a Rem 1100 with 3 rounds. If I got past 3 shots, I had to admit it was time to regroup my poop.

I used to have a buddy back then that would pull out his plug and shoot high-brass #6 at everything BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! by the 4th shot, he was no longer aiming, just making noise. He never got invited bird hunting.

To me, killing birds was rather senseless. However, hunting birds and watching a dog work a covey in cover was positively sublime.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I go back and forth between a Citori and A-5's, all sixteen gauges so I don't mix shells and its all fun. If you HAVE to kill that second or third bird, where's the fun?

Some can’t help themselves; they absolutely have to.
If there are many Birds, what’s the rush? If there are not, why?

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only time I bring out pumps is when the conditions are going to be really bad. As an aside, there is no magazine limit on upland birds here...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by battue

Some guys like to eat quail more than follow dogs around. Others maybe only get the chance to go hunt pheasants once every year or two and want to maximize their chance of killing a limit. Different strokes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by battue

Some guys like to eat quail more than follow dogs around. Others maybe only get the chance to go hunt pheasants once every year or two and want to maximize their chance of killing a limit. Different strokes.

Following a Dog around is the essence of Quail hunting. They can buy dead Quail for less money if the eating is what is important.

Hunt once or twice a year and killing a limit is a priority? The reality of it says different...

Addition: Question? Does killing your limit make for a more perfect day afield?

Hopefully your thoughts are what they are because you are The Kid. In which case, there is potential....

Last edited by battue; 12/30/19.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Haha a smart condescending reply from a double toting dog guy, imagine that.

Yes to some people shooting a limit does make it a more perfect day afield. I’m sure you’ll claim I’m showing my inexperience by claiming so, but I usually recall the days I walked my butt off in subzero temps and killed a limit of roosters more fondly than the days I walked my butt off and only flushed hens or never put up a bird. I don’t HAVE to kill a limit, but that doesn’t make it something I avoid either. Many days I have a great hunt and shoot a handful or no birds. But some people enjoy the thrill of shooting a limit. It’s also been a pretty neat experience a few times to shoot a 3 rooster limit on a rise or even once in Kansas to shoot a 4 bird limit on a rise.

Along the same vein. Quail hunting is defined as following a pointing dog to some people but not others. I kicked up and killed a good many bobs as a kid with no dog or a Lab that only retrieved. My Grandfather and other guys I know shot truckloads of them when they were kids, with no dog and a 22 rifle as they ran down the edge of a cotton field. Some guys just like to shoot birds and couldn’t give a hoot about watching a dog “work”. When you live in an area where there’s birds and you see them while working on the farm it’s not impossible to know where they’re going to be and kick up a covey without a dog. And some people just like to eat quail. I’d also challenge anyone to find me a place locally to buy quail at the grocery store, probably get laughed out of anyplace around here.

Only hunting a couple days a year and shooting a limit is a priority? Why wouldn’t it be after I’ve driven 13 hours over slush covered roads and paid for an out of state license I’m only going to get to use for 3 or 4 days? I won’t resort to breaking the law to shoot a limit but what’s wrong with limiting out even if you only get the one hunt.

I generally hunt at least half the time with a 2 shot gun these days, even killed a triple of sorts on a staggered flush of roosters a couple years back. But I don’t see it as any difference if I feel like carrying an unplugged pump gun one day, the limit is the same regardless of gun type. Maybe look at it as, if you’re interested in killing birds a gun holding more than 2 shots might up your odds in some cases, if you don’t care then tote whatever you want.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can't even begin to imagine....

However, I wish you the best on all your hunts. You must be a killing machine, what with triples and all....

As you said, but don't seem to be willing to adhere to different strokes....

Rest assured, I will.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
How many times have you ever truly needed that third shot? Thinking about going to an O/U for all my hunting. Could you?

I have carried an O/U for most of my pheasant hunting over the years. Started with a pump and tried a semi-auto a couple times. If I was sitting in a duck blind I might think differently, but for pheasants, two shots is plenty. My old Superposed feels good in my hands.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For most upland birds, a third shot is of no interest to me. With a limit of three pheasants or two sharptials, I don't want to be done hunting that quickly anyway. For forest grouse it is seldom an opportunity. When the snow geese are bunched up in huge flocks, the limit is 20, and you may only have one or two big flocks come into the decoys properly, I have sometimes wanted more than three shots. I have shot many many triples on geese, quite a few on ducks, not so many on partridge or pheasant or grouse. Just as I like it.

Last edited by castnblast; 12/30/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I typically use an autoloader for pheasants when hunting in Minnesote for a couple of reasons. First, typical pheasant habitat is swamp/marsh lands which often adds ducks to the options when the water is not frozen. This necessitates non-toxic shot and my autos are the only 12 ga guns I have that will handle steel shot. I guess my clays O/U is steel safe but I don't wish to subject it to the rigors of marsh hunting.

The second reason is the third shot can be helpful in finishing off a winged rooster. That third shot will spook fewer birds than a dog chasing after a cripple. When a hard day of hunting produces two to three opportunities for roosters one does all they can to keep the odds on their side.

These opportunities may come all at once as pheasants tend to flock up late in the season. One might tramp all day without seeing a bird and then have dozens of birds get up with one step. It is a very real possibility those will be the only birds you see, particularly as one is often hunting public land, so having extra rounds can be helpful. It falls much in the same vein as hunting mountain chukars as mentioned earlier.
U
And we all know the quintessential upland bird hunting experience occurs following a pointing dog...;)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
woodmaster81
you know what they say about the guy hunting behind the pointer right? He needs the handicap! smile

I love Pointers and hunting over them!

Hunting over a Flusher is exciting that is for sure.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
.......Hunting over a Flusher is exciting that is for sure.

Heart attack exciting even when you’re ready for it.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I didn't mind 2 shots until I went after Chukars. Then I wanted more.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
I am with kid0.. I had a collection of at least a dozen o/u's and s/s.. 28 ga/ though 3 1/2 " 12 ga. I sold them all.. Now I use older pumps or 870's.. Not so much for the third shot as these guns hit where I aim.. Although doubles are suppose to shoot to the same point with both barrels, they seldom do.. Or only with one load.. I had a nice Browning s/s in 3" 12g.. It shot ok with trap or light field loads, but a turkey load shot a foot low and left.. A nice 12 or 20 or 28ga. pump can be as light as the same gun in u/o.. I am convinced that doubles are like fly fishing status.. Because they have a double, they look down on everything else..I do mind loosing a crippled bird.. so if the third shot helps me with that, I am pleased.. Crippled game is awful..
I will be happy to hunt the rest of my days with a nice straight shooting pump...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
2 shots or 3 shots doesn't matter much to me I just like them all!! Current inventory includes 3 pumps, 2 gas guns, 1 inertia SA, and 1 O/U. Want to add a 686 soon and have recently found an interest in older American SxS doubles. When I win the lottery next week I am going to add a Parker, LC Smith, Fox, Blaser, to my collection and will be going to London to get fitted for an H&H.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For upland game it's been O/U's for me since the early '70's. 6 years ago I went exclusively to a lighter 20 ga. and love it paired with Kent Fast Lead ammo. I hunt with a flushing bird dog. Situations where I could get off a third shot usually arise when I screw up one or both of the first 2 shots and when the bird's at a marginal range anyway. In that case, the bird wins and we continue the fun of the hunt. We have a two pheasant/day limit in Pa. so 2 shots should be enough 😉 .

For waterfowl it's either a 12 ga. O/U for ducks or an auto loader for decoying geese. (Note: glad I caught the fact that spell-checker kept changing "decoying" to "decaying")

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
146 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 812 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.