Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's the overall consensus on these? I have a few ruger 77 rimfires that I like but I was thinking about adding an american model in either 22 mag or 17 hm2. I'm a fan of the rotary mags but not sure about the trigger on these, are they essentially the same thing as the savage accu-trigger? Would like to hear some real world opinions on them.

Thanks.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
What's the overall consensus on these? I have a few ruger 77 rimfires that I like but I was thinking about adding an american model in either 22 mag or 17 hm2. I'm a fan of the rotary mags but not sure about the trigger on these, are they essentially the same thing as the savage accu-trigger? Would like to hear some real world opinions on them.

Thanks.

I bought my first m77//22 in 1985. I have also owned an American.

Here is my opinion-

1)Overall ,the American action is more user friendly out if the box than the m77 rimfire.

2) The acccuracy of the Ruger Americans out of the box is just as good as any m77 rimfires from any era.

3) The American has a better safety design(tang).

4)The Anerican has a MUCH more versatile scope mounting setup.

5)The American action is more rigid and is also tighter toleranced.

6)The American takes 10/22 mags- not 77/22 mags .

7) The American It has a lower bolt lift with more clearance for the scope bell.

8)The trigger design IS BETTER than the Savage accutrigger in that you can remove the tab safety from the Ruger trigger snd it still functions. It is fullly adjustable and MUCH easier to get a good pull weight than in the stock m77/22 triggers.

9) The stock bedding arrangement on the Ameican is much better than the m77. The barrel channel pressure point setup is horrible on the m77s. It induces a lot of action stress and the easiest way to get a m77 to shoot better is to properly bed the action and float the barrel

The only area I can say the old M77 rimfire is superior to the American is stock styling. The m77 shows Rugers origional Leonard Brownell inspired American classic styling.

The American stock is a mere handle ,designed by a commitee of tasteess marketing twits that obviously don't mind making a decent rifle look cheap and ugly.

BTW. I don't dislike the m77 rimfires. They are great guns once the trigger and bedding assorted out.

Last edited by jk16; 02/14/20.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one a year ago in 17HMR and that thing is a tack driver. My grandson was popping pdogs out 150 yards with no problem at all.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
JK16,

You gave a good summation of them.

Sample of three here -

#1 chambered in 22 LR at 50 yds one shot 3/4" to 1" five shot groups..
#2 chambered in 22 LR at 50 yards shot 1" to 1 1/2" five shot groups.
this was with various ammo including some mid-grade match ammo, inadequate performance from both of those IMO.

#3 chambered in 17 HMR at 50 yds shoots 5 shot groups with all touching - sub-1/2" consistently, at 100 yards 5 shot groups sub 1" as long as it is calm.

The 22's went down the road - the 17 HMR still lives here.

drover

Last edited by drover; 02/14/20.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good stuff here.

JK16, I didn't realize the 77/22 and 10/22 mags were different. I could have sworn I've used them interchangeably in the past, guess I was mistaken.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Good stuff here.

JK16, I didn't realize the 77/22 and 10/22 mags were different. I could have sworn I've used them interchangeably in the past, guess I was mistaken.

they are just different enough to screw everything up ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my son has one, its pretty fun to shoot. My only gripe is it feels a little bit cheap. I guess there is CZ if you want the old school feel, but I hate the mags on the CZ's. Ruger defiantly has a huge advantage there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Good stuff here.

they are just different enough to screw everything up ...

I came to find this to be very true.
I bought a nice used 77/22.
Durn thing wouldn’t chamber a round unless I pushed up on the magazine.
I sent it to Ruger with a note.
They sent me a correct magazine and an explanation that I was trying to use a 10/22 mag in a 77/22.

I always knew I was ignorant, but this was a surprise to me.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think the RAR action is really better made than many of the classic rimfires that make us get all misty-eyed like Rem 580-series, old Marlins, the cheap old Winchesters, etc. Mine seems pretty solid. Apparently some have issues with extraction, but what the problem is a mystery to me. Mine works perfectly. JB just mentioned this a day or so ago.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shoot 77/22’s and RAR regularly. Like them both very much. Some of the 77/22’s have been tweaked by Randy at CPC. He does great work. RAR’s haven’t needed any help I can’t provide so far.

My experience with both is good. Rolling the dice between the two out of the box I’d go RAR. Not going be the best looking to my eye but certainly plenty functional and accurate.

Rob

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just ordered a SS .22 LR thru Sportsmans Whorehouse.

Hope it's a shooter.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I think the RAR action is really better made than many of the classic rimfires that make us get all misty-eyed like Rem 580-series, old Marlins, the cheap old Winchesters, etc. Mine seems pretty solid. Apparently some have issues with extraction, but what the problem is a mystery to me. Mine works perfectly. JB just mentioned this a day or so ago.

Mine also worked flawlessly. It was on par with my Mossberg chuckster 640KD in terms of real world accuracy. These are great little rifles. 2 of my buddies loved mine so much, that they went right out and bought one for themselves. They also bought the 22WMR. One uses his religiously on yotes. Works like a champ. I also hate to admit it, but my other buddies RAR 22WMR outshoots mine, and mine isn't a slouch:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Mine also worked flawlessly. It was on par with my Mossberg chuckster 640KD in terms of real world accuracy. These are great little rifles. 2 of my buddies loved mine so much, that they went right out and bought one for themselves. They also bought the 22WMR. One uses his religiously on yotes. Works like a champ. I also hate to admit it, but my other buddies RAR 22WMR outshoots mine, and mine isn't a slouch:

I cannot find one up here to save my life. I want a 22 mag, great for ptarmigan.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

I cannot find one up here to save my life. I want a 22 mag, great for ptarmigan.

You'll probably enjoy this video then. The guy is pretty serious about rifle shooting. Has LOTs of videos. As someone once said, "It's pretty easy to see who shoots"!

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
All three of my American rimfire predators (22,HMR,22mag) shoot, extract, and function perfect.
Just for fun I dropped the 17 in a Boyd’s and it does jazz it up some, but it wasn’t necessary

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have two both feed and eject fine. One will miss fire more then in should primer hits are to far off the edge of the rim more to the middle.My CZs will out shot them by A good amount and the bolt does not lock down on safe. It could be me but the bolt always ends up open hunting. The mag release is in the way and easy to hit when handing rifle in the field.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Between my buddy, me, and a nephew, we have five RARs, and all of them, five of five, have given us extraction problems. We keep them clean, bolts and bores, and still they work for awhile, then, when you want them to work, they quit. I gave mine away to family members I don't see very often, and who won't use them very much.

I REALLY liked the package (mine were the Predator variation), it's perfect for hunting and bumming around, but if the danged things need scrubbed every little bit, to me, it's not worth having. They shot pretty good, about like my worst-shooting CZ, which is still tolerable. I LIKE the rifles, I just wish they worked better.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Between my buddy, me, and a nephew, we have five RARs, and all of them, five of five, have given us extraction problems. We keep them clean, bolts and bores, and still they work for awhile, then, when you want them to work, they quit. I gave mine away to family members I don't see very often, and who won't use them very much.

I REALLY liked the package (mine were the Predator variation), it's perfect for hunting and bumming around, but if the danged things need scrubbed every little bit, to me, it's not worth having. They shot pretty good, about like my worst-shooting CZ, which is still tolerable. I LIKE the rifles, I just wish they worked better.

Im hearing a lot of good things about the cz's. I will say they arent perfect, having back asswards safeties and bolt throws that make mounting a scope a pain in the azz. A good buddy of mine bought one about 8 years ago, and i had to listen to him griping of such problems. Accuracy was awesome, yet hes having issues of split necks and poor extraction. I know where a beautiful cz 22 magnum is and they want $400.00 for it. Its tempting at that price, but from what ive seen not worth the headache.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

J, maybe look for a savage 93?

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Now THAT'S funny!

So what's you best guess; tight chamber that gets crudded up, or build-up on the extractor?

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,421 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.