Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is real, not a joke:

The United States Air Force updated its official dress code policy this month, in observance of religious practices, to allow military personnel to wear turbans or hijabs as a part of the uniform.

The Air Force released an update to the “Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel” code on Feb. 7, now permitting airmen to request a waiver to wear religious apparel while in uniform as long as they are “neat and conservative.”

The material used for headwear must resemble the color of the assigned uniform. This includes camouflage, and must be worn in a fashion that presents a “professional and well-groomed appearance.”
Airman 1st Class Harpreetinder Singh Bajwa was granted an historic religious accommodation by the Air Force allowing him to wear a turban, beard, and unshorn hair in keeping with his Sikh faith.

In addition to religious apparel, members also can request permission to have unshorn beards and unshorn hair. If the length of the beard exceeds 2 inches, it must be “rolled an or tied” to meet the new standards.

The code has been updated to include hijabs, beards, turban or under-turban/patka, unshorn beards, unshorn hair, and indoor/outdoor head coverings.

The Air Force will be able to deny any request if it “furthers a compelling governmental interest.”

Special requests to observe religious practices previously have been approved.

In 2018 Staff Sgt. Abdul Rahman Gaitan became the first Muslim airmen to receive a beard waiver for religious reasons, according to the Air Force Times.

Airman 1st Class Harpreetinder Singh Bajwa became the first active-duty Sikh to be permitted to wear a turban, beard and long hair the following year

Paulina Dedaj is a writer/ reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter @PaulinaDedaj.

[Linked Image]
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It is a joke.

But, unfortunately, it's real.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Inclusion is the new norm...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not sure what the big deal is with letting a soldier have a beard or turban for religious reasons. Read an article a few years ago about an Army Captain who was granted permission to do it.

Think I read that is wasn't even technically banned until sometime in the early 1980's if I remember right.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Beards on soldiers and sailors were very common in the Civil War and WWI. Up through WWII, they weren't totally uncommon.

[Linked Image from nww2m.com]

This guy's a Brit but his 'stache is worth seeing.

[Linked Image from todayifoundout.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
There IS a reason to disallow beards, at least. Trying to fit a gas mask over a beard, and get a good seal, just ain't gonna work. Granted, gas masks aren't in common use on today's battlegrounds, but all that means is that it would be a good time to use a chemical (CS or CN, for example), since no one IS carrying a mask most of the time.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"That hair grows wild around your azzole, airman- - - - -you're supposed to keep it under control on your face!" Seems like I've heard that a few (hundred) times!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why are we continuing to slid down the path of destruction? We are suppose to be winning.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Why are we continuing to slid down the path of destruction? We are suppose to be winning.

YUP!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well dang,

If I wasn't retired and of a certain age I could serve now. Seeing as how I haven't seen my chin since 1979 and my hair has only been trimmed a few times since.

Them Sikhs have some serious fighting blood in their background. Be a shame to disallow service because of their religion.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
There IS a reason to disallow beards, at least. Trying to fit a gas mask over a beard, and get a good seal, just ain't gonna work. Granted, gas masks aren't in common use on today's battlegrounds, but all that means is that it would be a good time to use a chemical (CS or CN, for example), since no one IS carrying a mask most of the time.

The M-50 masks work with facial hair.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The Navy corpsman we had with us always had a problem with that when we went to the CS chamber for training. Seemed to end up crying, spitting or puking while the rest of us jarheads were fine.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Beards, sideburns and long Mustaches were not allowed in the Navy until Adm. Zumwalt took over.
He effed it all up!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

How's that going to work out for aircrew members and oxygen masks...

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Progress, man, progress.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Definitely a new thing. No one ever heard of soldiers wearing turbans before.

[Linked Image from sikhnet.com]
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yea, but, the fair force has always been a little "fluffy".

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no doubt my Uncle Jim is rolling over in his grave. He was a USAF Lifer and 100% Military.

Jim

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

How's that going to work out for aircrew members and oxygen masks...

Seems to work just fine as many militaries already allow beards. I talked to the Canadian -18 pilots when we were TDY with them in Alaska...they had no concerns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Goosey
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

Definitely a new thing. No one ever heard of soldiers wearing turbans before.

[Linked Image from sikhnet.com]
[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

The OP's thread is about a present day USAF reg so what's your point ?

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 25 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,321
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.