Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Every Sunday??

Yes, even if it rains.

Geno

Thats wilder'n hell!

At least I bet you can buy a cold pack on Sundays most everywhere over there.

I am MAGA.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Of course we were a tight family and Sundays were that day, for butchering, cutting and wrapping meat, along with eating and drinking, of course families don't matter any more, but when I was growing up they did, I don't feel I was short changed by the Sundays I missed hunting, the family time more than made up for it !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Every Sunday??

Yes, even if it rains.

Geno

Thats wilder'n hell!

At least I bet you can buy a cold pack on Sundays most everywhere over there.

Uh.................................Nope.

Not when I was there....................better stock up for the weekend football game.................Dang near unAmerican if you ask me.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimy
Of course we were a tight family and Sundays were that day, for butchering, cutting and wrapping meat, along with eating and drinking, of course families don't matter any more, but when I was growing up they did, I don't feel I was short changed by the Sundays I missed hunting, the family time more than made up for it !

I'm happy for you.

But realize, just because hunting is legal on Sunday, doesn't mean a family can't do all you've just described anyway. No one would prevent it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I am MAGA.
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by garddogg56
No sunday hunting in maine mad

Yep.....
Dumb azz blue law from old religous fuddy duddy,s who wanted their church plates filled up, instead of all the men and boys out hunting.
But yet you can go fish.......

They could charge a 20 or 25 dollar fee for a sunday hunting permit in the unincorporated townships where no churches exist.....
That way they couldnt use the excuse of hearing gunshots and knowing gods creatures where being killed either.

T32md and T34md were my hunting grounds back in the day.

I grew up in the era of no doe permits also.

Bet they aint got a bounty on yotes from dec to april either.

But yet bitch about the deer kill in crusty snow outside of major mature cedar growth deer yards in the winter.

Did they pass no logging of old cedar growth yards????
And put em under a limited cutting status.

The state was talking about it around 98 to 01 when i was up their recruiting for the army in bangor.

Grew up in old town and milford
Graduated OTHS in 81
Joined the army in 83

Live in Tn

Blue Laws suck.......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lived in Houston before it got changed,that you could buy nails but could not buy the hammer.

They even had ropes to close down isles that had all of the sunday no stuff on the shelf.

It was a hoot.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
No Sunday hunting, no Sunday alcohol sales, no Sunday yada yada.

A poor execution of separating church from state.

Freedom of religion. OK, got it. But what about the rest?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What else do you need permission for back east?

on the east coast Roy, a lot of those Blue Laws date back to the 1600 and 1700s......

Growing up in Virginia, Sunday hunting wasn't legal, but over in West VA it was....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Lived in Houston before it got changed,that you could buy nails but could not buy the hammer.

They even had ropes to close down isles that had all of the sunday no stuff on the shelf.

It was a hoot.

Visited friends in Abilene TX in the mid 70's. Found out about the weird laws then. Could by milk and other "staples" to make a picnic lunch but not the folding web chair to sit in and eat it down by the river..............or the ice chest to keep it cold even. Then again, there were three Christian colleges there and one had to go to Impact TX outside the city limits just to buy beer. Look up the story of Impact TX for a fun read!

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was the going concern back in the mid 60's.

We lived there and you could tell what time it was by all of the traffic heading out of town.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Blue laws were kind of silly in a way..........BUT, they represented a time in this country when it was a much better place to live in. I know many of you are either atheist or do not attend church, but there is nothing wrong with showing a little respect for the Lord on the day He gave us rest and for worshiping him. As a whole, we'd all be better off if we were more concerned about the things that matter, as opposed to the things that don't.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Some of my fondest memories are from Sunday’s long ago. We would go to church and then go to grandma and grandpa’s farm and eat a good dinner then while the older folks would sit around and socialize us kids would go rabbit or squirrel hunting. We did this every Sunday weather permitting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The Blue laws were kind of silly in a way..........BUT, they represented a time in this country when it was a much better place to live in. I know many of you are either atheist or do not attend church, but there is nothing wrong with showing a little respect for the Lord on the day He gave us rest and for worshiping him. As a whole, we'd all be better off if we were more concerned about the things that matter, as opposed to the things that don't.

Is it really respect for the Lord, or fear of the government?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wonder what Spock would have said about that...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Things that matter?

Like hunting?

Geno

In it is contentment

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

The Blue Laws here in PA in the 1950’s, just church and the store that sold Sunday newspapers which was open until noon. No drug stores or grocery stores were open, prescriptions and groceries had to wait until Monday. Parking lots were empty. Home cooked spaghetti dinner every Sunday at noon, maybe a ride to the country for an ice cream cone and Bonanza, Lawerence Welk and Candid Camera on TV in the evening. It was a much simpler time.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What else do you need permission for back east?

Shîtting on the side walk, living under a tarpaulin structure in the median, loitering, public intoxication, public drug use, littering, haranguing passersby—basically all the freedoms Portland is lauded for.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.