Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have personally watched chickens eat a wolf carcass that was thawing in the spring sun.. and all kidding aside when I was a kid growing up in Northwest Arkansas my old neighbor who was probably 80 at lthe time raised a large garden to sell veggies to make money. his outhouse was up on about 12 inch blocks and every time he took a dump they would run under there and eat it. He used to just laugh and say yep I feed them a while then they're going to feed me for a while. I was only six or seven but was smart enough even then to realize I needed to puke.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hell, they’d eat grandmaw, if she’d lay still long enough!

Pro Tip:

Double dose of Nyquil.

Hahaha. T Freaking F.

I wonder how a steady diet would make them taste.

Depends

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am not sure what it is about poultry and pepper. Apparently chickens and turkeys are immune to the effects of hot peppers. As much as two tablespoons of cayenne per gallon of water is sometimes used to prevent and cure blackhead disease in turkeys and to keep chicks healthy.

I used 1 teaspoon of cayenne on fifteen pounds of beef the last time I made jerky. That is about all the heat I need.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine liked bananas also.

Chickens only have about 20 taste buds and I don't think any of them can taste sweets.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I am not sure what it is about poultry and pepper. Apparently chickens and turkeys are immune to the effects of hot peppers. As much as two tablespoons of cayenne per gallon of water is sometimes used to prevent and cure blackhead disease in turkeys and to keep chicks healthy.

I used 1 teaspoon of cayenne on fifteen pounds of beef the last time I made jerky. That is about all the heat I need.

birds are not affected by the capsaicin in peppers.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
from wiki

The seeds of Capsicum plants are dispersed predominantly by birds: in birds, the TRPV1 channel does not respond to capsaicin or related chemicals (avian vs. mammalian TRPV1 show functional diversity and selective sensitivity). This is advantageous to the plant, as chili pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract and can germinate later, whereas mammals have molar teeth which destroy such seeds and prevent them from germinating. Thus, natural selection may have led to increasing capsaicin production because it makes the plant less likely to be eaten by animals that do not help it disperse.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
from wiki

The seeds of Capsicum plants are dispersed predominantly by birds: in birds, the TRPV1 channel does not respond to capsaicin or related chemicals (avian vs. mammalian TRPV1 show functional diversity and selective sensitivity). This is advantageous to the plant, as chili pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract and can germinate later, whereas mammals have molar teeth which destroy such seeds and prevent them from germinating. Thus, natural selection may have led to increasing capsaicin production because it makes the plant less likely to be eaten by animals that do not help it disperse.

And that's why TX has wild chiltepin or pequin peppers growing everywhere. Of which the plant I am overwintering in the house, which grew from seeds our Texian friend kaywoodie sent me, which didn't produce last summer, I'm hoping will give me some of them dang bird peppers so I can put them in my posole!

Geno

PS, funny thing, my chickens apparently don't like the little red, yellow, orange mini-peppers as I tossed some parts out the other day and they are still in the litter in their pen.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Hens will eat white styrofoam insulation.

Yeah, my ducks do too, not sure what they find so tasty about it.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

They sure like to pick over the salmon skeletons after a big haul too. Turns the yolks orange, but not fishy.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Mine would eat anything other than carrot or citrus.

Funniest thing to watch was when I would throw a dead mouse in the pen and the whole flock chasing after then chicken that was running around trying to slow down long enough to gobble it down.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
when i was a kid, i had rooster that i have about a 3 1/2 ft snake to, he had snake hang out his beak for a couple days as he was swallowing it ,.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They'll eat each other if the opportunity arrises.

Once you get one that starts eating eggs she will make for a good soup starter.

They'll gobble up little pink mice like cheetos. Can't eat just one.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Apparently they like ice shards too. At least mine do. I empty the frozen disc from their bowl every morning and three or four of them go after the thinner sheet at the bottom of the disc:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

And yes on the mice. Had a friend help me with cleaning up and replacing the straw after surgery last year. Brought in some straw that must have had a small mouse in it. Didn't make it 3 feet!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever seen one haul ass across the yard chasing a june bug? Jumping up 3ft every few yards

I gave ours turkey carcass once.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Feathered pigs.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by stxhunter
from wiki

And that's why TX has wild chiltepin or pequin peppers growing everywhere. Of which the plant I am overwintering in the house, which grew from seeds our Texian friend kaywoodie sent me, which didn't produce last summer, I'm hoping will give me some of them dang bird peppers so I can put them in my posole!

Geno

PS, funny thing, my chickens apparently don't like the little red, yellow, orange mini-peppers as I tossed some parts out the other day and they are still in the litter in their pen.

Yup. Lots of folks here call em turkey peppers. For obvious reasons. Here it’s the mockingbirds that do the most good spreading them. They love em. Have a couple of big plants out under the front porch. Same ol’ mockingbird hangs around out in the cherokee rose bush just other side of porch.
Saw him earlier today.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No June bugs out here (I think that crappy juniper firewood supply keeps them away! grin )

This will be the first full summer they've been allowed out, so I'm really hoping they eat a bunch of weed seeds and grasshoppers. Right now grass is greening up and they are enjoyin' the heck out of that.

days have been up in the 50's so the bugs are wakin' up. Saw a moth fly out of the lawn this morning, so maybe the yardbirds get some callapillas too.

Geno

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Just had a piece of fried chicken for lunch. Thought about an experiment with the bone and cartilage for a second...nope that's just fugged up.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Ya know, you can not eat eggs and chicken in the same meal. "That ain't a meal, that's a vendetta."

One of the funniest things I ever saw,: I had my little tykes helping me clean some old oat hay bales from the neighbors barn. There is always lots of grain in oat hay and mice breed like heck in it.

We had about a dozen full grown ducks underfoot as we worked. And every time we rolled over a bale and one or two or three mice tried to escape, that entire bunch of ducks was on em like white on rice. Those ducks must have caught ten or twelve mice each, and were anxious for more. They just tipped their head up and swallowed them whole.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 74 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.