Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All,

Yesterday I paid $42.00 for a pound of 5744. I stopped right there as I remembered at the Quemado Gathering of 2018 some of you telling me there was a place near Gallup that had much better prices. I shall be driving to Texas and back in March and hope to find some powder for far more reasonable prices.

Does anyone remember the place in Gallup with the better powder prices? Or anywhere on the I-40? Or in El Paso?

Thanks for looking

Tracy (Ranger) Green

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe ABQ? can't think of a powder place in Gallup.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
What powders are you looking for,RG?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Tracy,

Are you heading to the hog hunt? If so, I have an unopened "can" of it that I have no use for. I don't recall why I even bought it? I think I gave $5 for it...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
What powders are you looking for,RG?

5744, Reloder 7, and Unique to start with. I remember a good natured teasing when I was excited that I had spent "only $22 for Trail Boss" at the Wall Drug in Springerville. I believe that is when it was mentioned I could get it cheaper in Gallup.
I guess I will be stopping in Gallup on the way back and going store to store.

California is, well, California. The more I try to get out of here the higher they raise the bar. Gas prices, food prices, ammo and now powder prices. The creeping Inflation of Liberalism.

I am loading a lot for pistol and the 45-70. 357 is next so I will be looking for H110 or W296 soon.

Originally Posted by EdM
Tracy,

Are you heading to the hog hunt? If so, I have an unopened "can" of it that I have no use for. I don't recall why I even bought it? I think I gave $5 for it...

roger that Sir and if you are not going to use it I will buy it from you.

Do you need me to go to Parkside on the way out? I have a truck now and a few ice chests as well.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
RG,Sportsmans Warehouse in Las Cruces and Cabelas in El Paso should have the powders you want.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Tracy, if you go through ABQ, you might also try Butches Gun Shop (IIRC the name) - just north of I40, east of I25, on the north side of Candelaria a few blocks (no more than a mile)
If you cross the storm canal, you've gone about twice to far. Close to I40. smile smile smile
Last I was there, he had good prices, and a fair selection - I've heard he's increased the selection. Growing his business.

PS Candelaria is not a mile north of I40, I think. Get to the right lane quickly. smile

Last edited by mark shubert; 02/15/20. Reason: clarification

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Gentlemen,

Sportsman's in Cali is where I paid the $42.00. I hope out of California locations are more reasonable.

Mark - Thanks, I found Butch's Reloading on Candelaria. It is a now stop on my way back.

Last edited by Ranger_Green; 02/15/20.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Western Drug and general store in Springerville, wife likes going in there... Rusty's butcher shop is across the street, his brother and I had killed a big bear on Green peaks, he was on a wagon trail ride as cook and we couldn't get ahold of him so we went to the shop, I climbed through a window at 11pm, then climbed through a huge exhaust fan hoping it wouldn't turn on right when I was in the middle of it. Hung the bear, skinned it and trolleyed it into a locker. Rusty had to think WTF when he saw that bear hanging in there. I also guided his 14yo son on an archery elk hunt... good people there.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have mercy! Just order from Powder Valley!
Sheesh!

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 71 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,677
Posts18,456,258
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.