Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 79S
Ol joe want legendary bear guide used a double rifle down on kodiak when guiding clients. Here we are worried about 5 in the mag, here is a novel idea learn to shoot better, and make the first shot count. Pass me a model 70 classic in a 30/06 with either 180 partition or 200gr partition for kodiak i will use a model 70 stainless classic in a 375 H&H.

When I hunted in the Yukon, my host required that I hunt with an empty chamber for safety sake. I had no problem with that but was down by one round count in my 375 compared to his 9.3x62.

With an empty magazine, it was a real advantage to have the smaller case and thus more in the magazine.

So between the both of you, you had 9rds for whatever went sideways?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Ol joe want legendary bear guide used a double rifle down on kodiak when guiding clients. Here we are worried about 5 in the mag, here is a novel idea learn to shoot better, and make the first shot count. Pass me a model 70 classic in a 30/06 with either 180 partition or 200gr partition for kodiak i will use a model 70 stainless classic in a 375 H&H.

When I hunted in the Yukon, my host required that I hunt with an empty chamber for safety sake. I had no problem with that but was down by one round count in my 375 compared to his 9.3x62.

With an empty magazine, it was a real advantage to have the smaller case and thus more in the magazine.

I guess you're right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ted

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

I guess you're right.

But 10rds would of made it better?

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yukoner
I guess. grin

Ted

Can you all hunt brown bears in the Yukon Territory? So far from what I read only thing killed were moose's and caribou's? Let's be honest we all know, they aren't hard to kill..

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
But 10rds would of made it better?

Why don't you take your vitriolic trolling elsewhere?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by 79S

Your thinking is generally sound but there are some festivals where six rounds of .375 level power are handy, such as an aggressive sow brown bear with older cubs that decide to follow momma’s aggression. Six rounds are also nice when four deer come in to the call at once, or you meet a family of river otters.

So you are saying you can get 5-6 rounds off accurately at a charging brown bear? With cubs?

Each situation is different, but yeah, as needed I can and have put multiple rounds on charging brown bears. I've not yet fought one with the 9.3x62, but have used the H&H with 300gr Noslers alot. In my experience you shoot the middle of the brown blur coming at you with something big enough to make a difference. They don't like that. I always expect one to keep coming after they take a hit, and though it's happened to a couple guys I know, mine have always gone ass over elbows and then tried to run off. That's when I find it a good idea to keep shooting, alot, to prevent tracking. The exception is a sow with big cubs, in which case you should get the first bear incapacitated or dissuaded and then be ready to deal with the others. In these scenarios I find one can empty a bolt action rifle quite quickly. One time when a medium boar came at me I centered him at 12 yards. He fell down and tried to run off, whereupon I raked him with the remaining two rounds. He was still kind of ambulatory at that point so the quickest thing to do was throw another round in without pushing it into the magazine (thank you Model 70 classic stainless for your beveled extractor design!), slam the bolt closed, and shoot him again before he got out of sight, then reload.

So anyway, when I say I like more rounds available it's based on some experiences........

You'll like that 640 as a 9.3x62, I'm sure.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yah that 640 rifle will be nice. Id like to see it when its done up 79s.

I too have rattled through five rounds in quick order and have been happy it was a five-down rifle.

Up Northwest Arctic on the Baldwin Peninsula: Stopped the dog team in from of a small herd. 20-30 mph winds. Ambient temps around 20 below. First caribou down at 100 yds. Another at a good distance further and needed a finishing shot. Another caribou some 400 yds off with a clear miss. That open treeless country is deceiving. Last and final shot I held the thick part of the crosshair square on the nose. Final round rang true.

3 caribou, empty rifle.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 02/15/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Can you all hunt brown bears in the Yukon Territory? So far from what I read only thing killed were moose's and caribou's? Let's be honest we all know, they aren't hard to kill..

We do hunt them, and the '62 is more than enough. smile

One round with a 270 gr Matrix and it was all over.

Ted

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Great pictures, Yukoner!

Loving this thread.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Here's another nice one that was taken with the 9.3x62.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by olblue
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Ted sorry had to post this pic of young Ted again. Ted,s a bad influence hang around him and you will be buying a 9.3 X 62 and maybe a freighter canoe. Ted tell us about your old 9.3 X 62 that had no safety as I recall. Kurt

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Kurt and Ted, that's one of the neatest pictures, should be on a calendar or at least hanging on my wall.BTW I now have 2 9.3x62s one a rebored 1917 done by Classic gun works holds 6 down so a seven shooter. The other is a newer Mark X not Interarms CZ maybe not sure of the barrel maybe a A&B. UNFORTUNATELY I haven't hunted with either as old age and be knees have pretty much limited me to a little rabbit hunting. But the shoot good and after a little work on the feed rails (thanks Art) they're both pretty smooth. --- Mel

How about it being a Hamms beer poster.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Really enjoying this.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

With light loads using a cast 286 from an NOE mold, the 9.3x62 makes a dandy grouse rifle. I tumble lube quenched ww metal with alox and apply gas check. Both Trailboss and 5744 have given great accuracy. That bullet at 1350 knocks them dead and you can eat right up to the hole.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That Ted !

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Kurt, our friend Ted really is something else. --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
CZ 550 9.3x62

Nice piece for sale on GB.

-JW
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This thread made me buy a gun.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by TX35W
This thread made me buy a gun.

I’m just about in the same boat.

If I rolled my own, would certainly have happened!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pabucktail
[Linked Image]

Good looking knife. Who makes it and what model? Thanks.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.