Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How fast would this push a 110gr TTSX? 4000 fps?

Arcus Venator
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by pointer
Be prepared for a lot of talk regarding the definition of caliber and cartridge...

Dang it. I was hoping they'd fill the void between 6.5 and 7.

Bwwwwaaaaaaaaa THIS smile

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think we all knew that Nosler at some point would intro a 27 Nosler. And why not do so....

Alot of 270 fans out there that may want more oooooomph than the 'ol tried and true 270 Win, who may not necessarily wish to go up to the expense of a MK5 Weatherby rifle chambered in the 270 Bee Magnum. Assuming of course that future rifles chambered in the 27 Nosler are cheaper than the MK5s.

The 27 Nosler will fill a marketing niche between the 26 and 28. For 270 fans who prefer beltless cases, the 27 Nosler just might be their huckleberry.

I hope that it is very successful.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Built a 1/9 or 1/8 twist 270 and it will be a long range contender with the 150 LRAB or the Berger 170[/quote]

That's no biggy. A custom barrel maker will make you any twist within reason you want. I've had one barrel custom made for a 25 cal. and it was no big deal. When you order the barrel you request the twist rate, length and contour you wish. It costs about $100 more than their standard if they normally don't make them in that particular configuration. It may not happen as quick as their more standard configurations but it won't usually take more than a month or two longer.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/31/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I once had a Krieger barrel made for my proposed rebarrel of a Howa 1500 .22-250 to .250 Savage. I wanted a good bolt rifle chambered for that cartridge. I also wanted to shoot heavier bullets in it and to insure it would stabilize these longer bullets. So I did the research and found that the .250 would need at least a 1:9 twist rate to stabilize 115-120 grain bullets, which I wanted to shoot in it(I did more research and found this not to be so, that people shoot 120 grain Spitzers in .250 Savages a lot and they stabilize, but what the hell, if I want to shoot a 125 grain if I can find one, it should work). When I ordered the barrel I requested a 1:9 twist. It took two more months to get what I wanted and cost me $325. Remember this was almost 10 years ago in the spring of 2010. So now it would probably be scaring a $500 bill to death. You want a 1:8.5 twist .277 barrel you can get it. Just a little more money and a little more time.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Something else to consider, Matrix already makes tighter twist .277 barrels for long range hunting. Now we just need someone to make some 170-175 grain match bullets.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by ihookem
Just neck a 308 Win down to .277 and you call it a 27-08 and you have a good round. Also, a 25-08 would be cool and easy to reload if we ever get in a reloading pinch like we did 10 yrs ago. I was very low on brass back then but I could still go to the shooting range and find once fired .308 cases. The last thing we need is another caliber unless it can be reloaded from polar cases like the 30-06 , 308 ETC.

Somebody's already done it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I want to build me a long range .270 on a .270 Winchester Short Mag. with a tighter twist barrel which is around 28" Long. I guess I could just get one of these 27 Noslers but I don't want that big of a case. I like the Winchester Short Mag. case. But I'm happy Nosler is coming out with this and believe this will cause bullet makers to make some long range Heavy Hi BC hunting AND Target bullets. It's high time this happened because even with the haters and jokers, the .270 Winchester is still more popular among hunters than the true 7mms. This will bring it out of the closet with competition shooters.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Filaman
I want to build me a long range .270 on a .270 Winchester Short Mag. with a tighter twist barrel which is around 28" Long. I guess I could just get one of these 27 Noslers but I don't want that big of a case. I like the Winchester Short Mag. case. But I'm happy Nosler is coming out with this and believe this will cause bullet makers to make some long range Heavy Hi BC hunting AND Target bullets. It's high time this happened because even with the haters and jokers, the .270 Winchester is still more popular among hunters than the true 7mms. This will bring it out of the closet with competition shooters.

I would like to have a new barrel made for one of the rifles I have in 270. 24'' with 1:8.5 twist or even 1:9, not sure if the twist would work but I believe the ammo and bullets will change for the 270 line-ups. Just a matter of time. 27 Nosler is going to create a reboot of the 270, no doubt.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Why not a 7mm wsm?

The only issue is that the million .270 rifles out there already aren't twisted correctly for the long heavies. That's the only reason I can think off as to why it hasn't happened yet.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Why not a 7mm wsm?

The only issue is that the million .270 rifles out there already aren't twisted correctly for the long heavies. That's the only reason is I can think off as to why it hasn't happened yet.

Why not a 7mm WSM? Because the .270 is the whole point I'm wanting to make which is, the only thing holding the old .270 Win. back is a lack of tight twist barrels and good long range heavy high BC bullets. There's already a truck load of 6.5 and 7MM long range rifles. But like I always say, there's nothing magical about 6.5s or 7s and there's nothing basically flawed with the .270. The 6.5s have been blessed with both the right barrels and the right bullets and the .270 Winchester has been held back in this respect. It never was viewed as a target round and bullets have been limited to what works well on medium and larger game at traditional ranges out to 400 maybe 500 yards, such as 130s, 140s, and 150s, lauched out of 22-24 inch barrels at velocities of 2800-3000 FPS, which have really taken care of most of what it was intended for.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Be prepared for a lot of talk regarding the definition of caliber and cartridge...

And make sure you place it in the front shoulder.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Caliber is not important as long as you hit them in the front shoulder.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm looking forward to reading more about it!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The 27 LGBTQ

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes a "winter release" is good for more theories and dust-ups. Should invest in popcorn seed too.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/15/20.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by 16bore
This is so awesome! The entire industry is going to be turned on its ear due to advances in rifle cartridgery....

Said no one ever....

So true! It's a free country (unless Bernie slithers his way into the oval office, of course), and anyone can produce and/or buy whatever they want, but sometimes I wonder how many fewer animals would've hit the dirt if no new cartridges/chamberings had been invented since 1960. I'm guessing somewhere between four and five. smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The NEW 27 Nosler....Yawn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally advocate for the "seat-for-every-@ss" rationale but.......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
maybe these gun manufactures can quit bringing out new cartridges that won`t make it,instead take the wasted money and build a nice looking hunting rifle at a cheaper price ? 27 caliber ? its a loser too late.>> if i finally win a nice rifle in a gun raffle i sure hope its a normal cartridge not one of these new cartridges that won`t make it ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.