Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is in regards to project I call "Ralph." Ralph for Ralph Northam, Governor of Virginia. In his honor and in an attempt to rid the world of an evil black rifle, I've taken it upon myself to bury a specimen along with ammunition where no one will find it. I think if everyone did what I'm doing this whole silly gun control issue would go away. After all, why fight about confiscation if they're all buried underground? No muss, no fuss, problem solved. Right?

I've decided that y'all were right. 500 Rounds is too little for this project. I need to bury more. My question is the best/cheapest choice?

I think I understand the difference between 5.56 and .223 Rem. However, when it comes to picking something that I might buy 1000 rounds of, what should I be considering besides price and how it shoots in my particular firearm?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd wait until confiscation is imminent to bury it.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
What good is a firearm if you can't shoot it ?? I'm not sure confiscation is eminent .

On the other hand I think we should all remember the Volstead Act . A lot more people drank than owned firearms and they outlawed the manufacture , transportation and possession of alcohol . Then hired a lot of law enforcement to enforce it .

It was successful , look at the lack of alcoholics we have , not to mention the strong foundation it gave to organized crime .

Happy Presidents day .

Soup

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just asking, but what gunfight does anybody think they will live through a thousand expended rounds?

For sale or barter perhaps, but I don't think anybody makes it out of that kind of gun slinging.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I saw a quote awhile ago that went something like "If you have to bury your guns, isn't that when you should be using them?".

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Just asking, but what gunfight does anybody think they will live through a thousand expended rounds?

For sale or barter perhaps, but I don't think anybody makes it out of that kind of gun slinging.

Exactly. One or two mags and it's decided, one way or the other.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Exactly. One or two mags and it's decided, one way or the other.

I guess my thoughts to having multiple mags and a good stash of ammo isn't so individualistic. When the neighbor up the street is surrounded by the alphabet boys and pops off his two mags, are you and your other neighbors just gonna sit back and watch? Then what? Sit back and pretend Tyranny is okay as long as it happens to someone else?

Slipstream

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm guessing that would be your thought process if you had never been in combat. But it really doesn't work that way. In fact, all great plans go to hell as soon as the first bullet cracks over your head.

Having lots of ammo is good, don't get me wrong, but whom are you going to shoot and what is the plan that leads up to that shooting.

You seem to think that a mass of troops is going to come marching down the street, and you are going hide behind a few pieces of sheetrock and defend your neighbors.

Communications and planning are much more important.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the general plan for insurgencies is to set up ambushes against key weak targets, pop off a couple rounds each time and run like hell.
Rinse & repeat.

So 1,000 rounds may or may not be enough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Methinks the more salient question is how are you going to bury the gun and ammo? How do you plan on prepping the gun and protecting all from moisture?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In the wake of the whole Virginia hoo-haw, it occurred to me that all the saber-rattling wasn't getting anyone anywhere. The more vitriolic and incendiary the rhetoric, the more likely it is to be red-flagged. On the other hand, if we give in to the notion that all black rifles are bad, then what better way to express our feelings than to go out and bury one of these naughty guns will it will do no one any harm?

Nobody has to pass any laws.
Nobody has to confiscate.
Nobody has to send jack-booted thugs to our houses.

We've taken care of the problem ourselves. Ralph and his ilk can go howl at the moon. If everyone buries a black rifle somewhere, then what's the big deal. Ralph and his buddies can go back to what they're really good at (graft, fomenting racism and infanticide) and leave us be.

As to where and how I plan to bury mine, I think I should keep it a secret. There are plenty of people offering up unsolicited advice. I should be able to figure out what works best.

In regards to my neighbors. I've given this description of my neighbors before. They're like that big fish that lives in the back of your fish tank. You never see him, but if you put a bag of little fish in the tank and turn off the lights, they disappear by morning. My BOL is far enough out that I struggled to get mail service-- still don't have it. If the power goes out, it may not come back on for 6 weeks. I live on a dead end road that gets maybe a car a month down it-- and whoever it is, they are most likely lost. From my place onward, the road is abandoned. It used to connect two towns together, but one town was abandoned in the 1880's, and fell off the map by 1910. I'm fairly certain my neighbors will take care of whatever comes into this end of the county long before it gets to me.

I go back to my original question:

I've decided that y'all were right. 500 Rounds is too little for this project. I need to bury more. My question is the best/cheapest choice?

I think I understand the difference between 5.56 and .223 Rem. However, when it comes to picking something that I might buy 1000 rounds of, what should I be considering besides price and how it shoots in my particular firearm?

My son says 5.56 in 62 grain M855 is preferable, because it is capable of penetrating light armor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why do you need to penetrate light armor?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As to where and how I plan to bury mine, I think I should keep it a secret. There are plenty of people offering up unsolicited advice. I should be able to figure out what works best.

Don't care where, but the 'how' part of the question is relevant to your inquiry.

I don't need or want Ralph today. If things change my mind I'll take one from the nearest azzhole.

I am..........disturbed.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Why do you need to penetrate light armor?

I dunno. I guess some days you feel like a nut. . . some days you don't.

That was just the advice I got from my youngest son. He's got a buddy who was special forces in Afghanistan and listens to him for advice on such matters. Me? I'm just a schlub with an itch to bury a nasty black rifle.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Don't care where, but the 'how' part of the question is relevant to your inquiry.

I don't need or want Ralph today. If things change my mind I'll take one from the nearest azzhole.

I have a Marine friend who went to 'Nam, and he's in the process of a similar project. His method was to do homebrew cosmoline and bury his nasty black rifle in a sealed PVC pipe with Nitrogen pumped in. I'm still evaluating my options.

Me? If I told you the 'how' part, it would give away the 'where.'

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your Jarhead friend tells you true. If you can purchase ammo in sealed cans, likewise treated with cosmoline and in sealed PVC you'll do fine. Won't hurt to wrap the gun in a towel before putting it in the tube.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You wake up some day and feel the need to dig Ralph up you might find other applications besides plinking [bleep]. What kills people kills game. People wearing "light armor" are poorly protected from a reasonably placed shot regardless of the cartridge or bullet style. Forget Hollywood, shoot them in the head, neck, legs, arms or crotch any they are not going to give much if any grief. This is particularly true of high velocity bullets.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've begun to question the burying thing. Literally into the ground, under dirt.

If you are outside, photos from a satellite can tell it's operator what color socks you're wearing.

If you are inside, there is equipment, that mostly the government has, that can image each individual behind the walls, plus the size & number of pets.

Keeping those two items in mid, how good is the metal detector gonna be that any gov't agency with intent to confiscate, will have with them.

Advancements in detection devices have me rethinking a lot of old school hidey hole type stuff. Thoughts?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slip it in pvc pipe and you can bury it anywhere, even on your property. A posthole digger doesn't disturb enough earth to show up. They'd have to use ground penetrating radar/metal detector across every square foot of your property to find it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.