Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
I hate Pinterest. They ruined the google image search.

Yep. That and trying to find a Meme during a web search. šŸ˜”

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by CEoW717
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Powers Custom, out of either KC or Independence MO, built some of those for prairie dog shooters, back in the late '90s or thereabouts. There was at least one feature article about them in one gun magazine and I think the Varmint Hunter's Association magazine, too. It wasn't a new idea, it had been ripped off from the old water-cooled machineguns of WWI and WWII, they had to have a pressure manifold and pump system to pump the water from coolers thru the water jackets to keep the pressure the same for every shot, and they were complicated systems.
I thought it was kinda neat, but the price for a system, and the smithing for the water-jacketed barrel and assorted equipment was pretty pricey. I thought it was more practical to just buy a couple more rifles and swap them out when one got hot. I was doing a lot of PDoggin' back then, and read about it with a lot of interest, but no money in the bank for such things.

Whatā€™s ā€œthat kind of moneyā€? I think I bought it right.

Danged if I know, it was over 20 years ago!

IIIRC, the work alone was around $2500, but I could very, very easily be mistaken about that, on the low end. Still, it was 20 odd years ago, and again, recall might be sketchy, it was made for the guys who use trailers with shooting tables mounted on them, and parked either in prairie dog fields or for the Northern California/Oregon/Nevada ground squirrels. They would pull into a field, square up the trailer, fill the coolers with cold water (and more ice, if needed, to keep the water cool) and have at it. I was real jealous of their shooting opportunities, it sure sounded fun.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PM Butch Lambert on here. He hangs out at BR Central and is probably the best source on this site.

Swifty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
With the one lead in NC Iā€™d try Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle in Mebane NC. If he didnā€™t build it he may know who did. There are many good smiths in that state but many are connected so Iā€™m thinking he might be able to help.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sometime, I think20 or 30 years ago, someone (95% sure Layne Simpson) did an article in Handloader or Rifle about water cooled varmint rifles. IIRC, it seemed like a God-awful amount of money at the time.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cra1948
Sometime, I think20 or 30 years ago, someone (95% sure Layne Simpson) did an article in Handloader or Rifle about water cooled varmint rifles. IIRC, it seemed like a God-awful amount of money at the time.

I thought it might have been "Guns" Magazine, but I sure wouldn't want to fight over it. I also wouldn't want to bet on my memory from back then. You could very well be right.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I'll ask Ron Power the next time I see him.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CEoW717
Powers Custom, out of either KC or Independence MO, built some of those for prairie dog shooters, back in the late '90s or thereabouts. There was at least one feature article about them in one gun magazine and I think the Varmint Hunter's Association magazine, too. It wasn't a new idea, it had been ripped off from the old water-cooled machineguns of WWI and WWII, they had to have a pressure manifold and pump system to pump the water from coolers thru the water jackets to keep the pressure the same for every shot, and they were complicated systems.
I thought it was kinda neat, but the price for a system, and the smithing for the water-jacketed barrel and assorted equipment was pretty pricey. I thought it was more practical to just buy a couple more rifles and swap them out when one got hot. I was doing a lot of PDoggin' back then, and read about it with a lot of interest, but no money in the bank for such things.

Whatā€™s ā€œthat kind of moneyā€? I think I bought it right.

Danged if I know, it was over 20 years ago!

IIIRC, the work alone was around $2500, but I could very, very easily be mistaken about that, on the low end. Still, it was 20 odd years ago, and again, recall might be sketchy, it was made for the guys who use trailers with shooting tables mounted on them, and parked either in prairie dog fields or for the Northern California/Oregon/Nevada ground squirrels. They would pull into a field, square up the trailer, fill the coolers with cold water (and more ice, if needed, to keep the water cool) and have at it. I was real jealous of their shooting opportunities, it sure sounded fun.

Does sound fun... apparently I bought it right.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
PM Butch Lambert on here. He hangs out at BR Central and is probably the best source on this site.

Iā€™ll do that thank you.

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gremcat
With the one lead in NC Iā€™d try Ray Bowman at Precision Rifle in Mebane NC. If he didnā€™t build it he may know who did. There are many good smiths in that state but many are connected so Iā€™m thinking he might be able to help.

Iā€™ll do that Monday. Thank you.

IC B3

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
I'll ask Ron Power the next time I see him.

That would be great. Apparently he sold his company in MO

CEoW717 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Whatā€™s his handle?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
kinda how my still works.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I remember seeing some of those rifles about 30 years ago. If I remember correctly, they were not intended to be shot while connected to the water source. It was simply a method of more quickly cooling the barrel in between strings of shots in the dog town.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom TC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Winchester M70 receiver..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It still amazes me the creativity of some people.

Thanks, Dinny

Last edited by Dinny; 02/17/20.

Medics bury their mistakes..
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pretty unique idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes, pretty cool barrel
pun if needed

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 719 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.