Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Lookin at Hawke or Athlon for a 22 LR. Which would you lean towards and why?

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Hawke Endurance 2-10x50 that has been reliable on a .270win.Little bit of tunnel-vision in the sight picture is my only complaint...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What power and reticle? Totally set on trying those brands?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 because of the following reasons:

• I was specifically looking for something with an objective around (no larger) than 32 mm
  • I began appreciate the low powers on variables when going in to the field
  • Did not feel a need for more than 7x on a 22lr
  • Had some friends on the fire speak highly of Hawke value and QC
  • Fully multicoated, click adjustments, on sale for around $100- very low risk

Observations and how it turned out:
  • Power range is PERFECT for all situations where I might use the Ruger
  • Bright as heck. Nice glass, no tunnel vision, no flare problems.
  • Repeatable clicks- tracks as hoped. Has kept poa. Admittedly I did spend a couple of dollars and add a recoil buffer because it is a semiauto after all.
  • Did seem a bit large for a 32mm - although not heavy or off balancing. Feels natural now.
  • Good eye relief
  • It has greatly increased the fondness for the rifle- and validated best ammo (which were as recommended the CCI standard velocity stuff)

I am sure Athlon and other scopes out there would be fine, maybe even better although I can't imagine in what way or situation that would be for my use of the 22LR. Some want more X's, some larger objectives, or 'more' something but for keeping a 1022 fast handling or 75 yard plinking...squirrels....turtles- my def of 22 stuff - could not be happier with it even at twice the cost.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/17/20.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I traded a Hawke Vantage 3-12x42 with 1/2 mil-dots for a Athlon Neos 4-12x 40 with rimfire BDC reticle. The Hawke is a much better scope for fine target shooting but I like the BDC reticle on the Athlon for for hunting. If I had to do it all over again I would have gotten another Hawke with BDC rimfire reticle. Much clearer scope.

Last edited by cal1960; 10/21/20.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Hawke makes a straight 4X and I believe it's made for center fires. Am I correct?
If so, does anyone here have experience with them? I may want to buy a few of them in the future for some of my hunting rifles. I very much prefer straight 4X and 3X scopes for nearly ALL my hunting rifles, but today the only ones I know of that are still made and of good quality are the Leupold M8, and they are hard to find at times.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by szihn
Hawke makes a straight 4X and I believe it's made for center fires. Am I correct?
If so, does anyone here have experience with them? I may want to buy a few of them in the future for some of my hunting rifles. I very much prefer straight 4X and 3X scopes for nearly ALL my hunting rifles, but today the only ones I know of that are still made and of good quality are the Leupold M8, and they are hard to find at times.

I have a couple Hawke Vantage 4x scopes that seem great bang for the buck, but, I have not been hard on them at all. Got them for like $70.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Can’t speak to Athlon, my eyes don’t get along with Hawke glass.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Only issue I’ve had with four Hawkes is with an Endurance LER 2-7 that couldn’t hold zero under the pounding of an unbuffered Mini 14, a pretty tough task. Haven’t tested it since swapping it out for a prism, but my guess is that it’s okay for normal use. An identical one held fine on a .50 ML. Minis have a rep as scope killers.

Adjustments feel a bit mushy, but seem to respond well. The 30mm 8x56 is a very nice scope, with daylight-visible illumination. Hawke is a British outfit that designs their scopes and has them built to their specs, regrettably in China, but must keep a pretty tight grip on quality as they’ve been in business for a long time and are very popular in Europe. I’m not buying any more because of the current situation, but am completely satisfied with how mine perform.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I have a couple Hawke Vantage 4x scopes that seem great bang for the buck, but, I have not been hard on them at all. Got them for like $70.

I have one I use for a spare, nice little optic. Would be right at home on a 22lr.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have both and Athlon is much better hands down.
Wish I had never got the Hawk

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I were looking at rimfire scopes, I’d include the Tract ones as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one Athlon and one Hawke. Both seem OK. I sent back the original scope in both cases. Hawke should be a good scope, as they are made to withstand the reverse recoil of a springer air rifle-Leupolds won't.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I have one I use for a spare, nice little optic. Would be right at home on a 22lr.

I have that scope on a .22, but am thinking on moving it to a Mossberg 12 gauge turkey gun. All Hawke scopes are airgun rated, so I think it will hold up. May try to find a used Leupold M8 for the Mossberg though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
840 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 77 invisible), 3,273 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,283
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.