Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Elvis
One thing that really annoys me is that some of the ammo companies are still loading factory loads with a 117gn round noise at about 2650 fps. I think Remington and Winchester still do this last time I checked. Why not load a nice 100gn spitzer at 3000 fps? I guess the old sedate loads still sell as people buy them for the brass so no need for the companies to energise themselves a little bit and bring out a new load.

Winchester used to have a 100g factory load. I used it some and found it very accurate in the Win. FWT I had at the time. Like most things .257 R. it probably didn't sell well enough to keep it going.

I can't ever recall seeing that. I can't imagine the 100gn load not selling but the slow 117gn round nose did. Oh well, most of us handload anyway.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Factory ammo is almost non existent and expensive. And new brass for hand loading is even more scarce and expensive. 50 Nosler brass at Midway is $77

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by overmax
Factory ammo is almost non existent and expensive. And new brass for hand loading is even more scarce and expensive. 50 Nosler brass at Midway is $77

That's cheap. Fifty Nosler .257 Roberts cases over here is AU$184. That's approaching $4 a case. It sure makes you get down on your hands and knees and search in the long grass for an ejected case.

I bought 50 Nosler cases to try them in one of my Ruger Roberts and the 100gn Nosler Solid Bases shoot into 5/10 - 6/10 of an inch. My other Ruger Roberts also shoots exactly the same with several 100gn bullets but with Winchester brass that only costs $49 per 50. Maybe the Nosler brass will last four times as long.

Last edited by Elvis; 02/15/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington periodically makes 257 Rob brass... I picked up 250 pieces 3.5 years ago when it was last made. Keep an eye out.

I’ve contacted Hornady about making it (they do make 250 Savage brass), and they have responded they’re considering it.

I’d encourage anyone that shoots a Rbt’s to contact them with a request to make brass...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 250 Winchester cases on the shelf and there are two more 50 count bags in my local gun shop. Every time I go in there I think I should buy it but then I think I shouldn't be greedy and leave it for someone else. Good to see Hornady making .250 Savage brass. You'd think it would be a no brainer to add .257 Roberts as well, especially since they are producing 275 Rigby brass. It shouldn't be all that difficult to adjust tooling from 275 Rigby to .257 Roberts.

I hope it's better than the Hornady 6.5 CM brass I bought last year.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had three at one time, my sons used them when they "graduated" from the 250-3000. I loaded Hornady Spire Points at around 2,800 FPS if memory serves me and it was quite effective on our GA deer.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My model 70 257 Roberts likes RL26 with 115gr Nosler Partitions I got 3133 FPS, Win case CCI 250 primers 2.800 OAL.

RL23 with 110gr Accubonds 3123 FPS Win case. CCI250 primer 2 .820 OAL.

RL17 110 gr Accubonds WLR primer Win case 2.800 OAL 3151 FPS.

RL23 115 gr Nosler Partition CCI 250 primer 3129 FPS.

Norma MRP 117gr BT Hornady CCI 250 primer 2.850 OAL 3068 FPS.

With the heavier bullets MRP has been most accurate followed by RL23.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
[url=https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14590414/275-roberts][/url]

The 90 grain TSX and 45 grains of IMR-4350 have killed a lot of stuff.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mentioned this earlier, but the post disappeared in the crash.

Hornady has been making EXCELLENT brass for at least 3 years now. Have purchased it in .17 Hornet, .243 Winchester, 6mm Creedmoor, .250 Savage, .25-06, .275 Rigby (aka 7x57), 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby Magnum at local stores, where it's generally inexpensive. A good example would be the 50 pieces of 7mm Remington Magnum I bought for a magazine assignment, which proved to be as consistent in both weight and neck-thickness as several other premium brands, including Lapua. So I went back and bought another 50...

They do not offer component .257 Roberts brass, but they do offertheir Superformance load with 117-grain SSTs at a listed 2945 fps--which is as inexpensive, per round, as some component brass these days (depending on where you buy it, of course). Picked up my first box today at a local store (the only one they had) and will report on it soon, both the ammo performance and brass quality.

Also saw some in an more distant local store a few weeks ago, and will see if it's still there next time we make it to the "big city."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
John,

I guess I will be looking for some of the Hornady Superformance ammo as I just picked up my first 257 Bob:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mentioned this earlier, but the post disappeared in the crash.

Hornady has been making EXCELLENT brass for at least 3 years now. Have purchased it in .17 Hornet, .243 Winchester, 6mm Creedmoor, .250 Savage, .25-06, .275 Rigby (aka 7x57), 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby Magnum at local stores, where it's generally inexpensive. A good example would be the 50 pieces of 7mm Remington Magnum I bought for a magazine assignment, which proved to be as consistent in both weight and neck-thickness as several other premium brands, including Lapua. So I went back and bought another 50...

They do not offer component .257 Roberts brass, but they do offer their Superformance load with 117-grain SSTs at a listed 2945 fps--which is as inexpensive, per round, as some component brass these days (depending on where you buy it, of course). Picked up my first box today at a local store (the only one they had) and will report on it soon, both the ammo performance and brass quality.

Also saw some in an more distant local store a few weeks ago, and will see if it's still there next time we make it to the "big city."

I shot that Superformance ammo with the 117 SST in my custom, 5 shots over the Magnetspeed avg velocity 2820 fps and SD = 20.0; accuracy was minute of hog/deer as well grin I bought 5 boxes in case they shot well and would all be from the same lot...since all my shots are under 250 yds really no need to reload but I will of course! I really want to try the 90 gr GMX but will work up an accurate 100 TTSX load first sine that has been my go to bullet for years

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

My model 70 257 Roberts likes RL26 with 115gr Nosler Partitions I got 3133 FPS, Win case CCI 250 primers 2.800 OAL.

RL23 with 110gr Accubonds 3123 FPS Win case. CCI250 primer 2 .820 OAL.

RL17 110 gr Accubonds WLR primer Win case 2.800 OAL 3151 FPS.

RL23 115 gr Nosler Partition CCI 250 primer 3129 FPS.

Norma MRP 117gr BT Hornady CCI 250 primer 2.850 OAL 3068 FPS.

With the heavier bullets MRP has been most accurate followed by RL23.

What length barrel do you have?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

It,s a stock Model 70 made in 1957 I think, with a 24" barrel.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I picked this rifle up in the ‘fire ‘fieds back in the summer of 2008 from TJ3006 for a song. It was a 7x57 with a Timney safety & nicely turned military tube in a pale walnut Weatherby-style Fajen.

I sent it to my gunsmith to have a Dakota 3-position safety installed, and it was suggested that perhaps I ought to consider recutting the chamber & re-heat treating the receiver too. I agreed, and the thing morphed into an 8”-twisted Shilen #3 CM cut to 23” in 7x57 in a custom stock with Talley flip-up peep.

Over the past 12 years it morphed even more (after getting to the point of being ready to rust blue!) and the time lapsed is due to my fickle tastes and sporadic funds not my gunsmith’s speed.

Today it has the 3-position Dakota safety, re-heat-treated receiver, G33/40 left side rail cuts, altered tang eliminating the need for a Mauser notch and allowing for a more open grip, Glimm’s engraved knob, Timney FW trigger, Rock Creek #1 contoured SS cut-rifled 1-in-9” twisted barrel in .257 Roberts, McM Hunter’s Edge stock, and Birdsong’s Black T coating.

What is missing is S&K contoured bases/rings & jeweled bolt the former of which is in process the latter going to happen after coyote season. It’s currently wearing a Burris Fullfield E1 German 3P#4 3-9x 40mm w/ illuminated dot which I like a lot for deer & coyote but after first range trip I see it won’t allow the precision I want when testing out potential of a new rifle so after coyote season I’ll change it for a Ballistic Plex model.

I had to send the barreled action to McM for custom inletting and even tho I mentioned the fact that I’d had the tang recontoured to avoid the unsightly notch there is one there anyway. Also notice the unfortunate job on the front of the bottom metal? For the amount of money I spent on custom inletting I expected better.

At any rate I’m just back from it’s first range trip and loving the overall feel of the rifle. The temporary mounting system (Burris Sig Zee Medium height & weaver standard aluminum bases) is a lot heavier than I’d like but that’ll be corrected with the S&K.

Really looking forward to getting after the dogs over the next couple of weeks and I’ll be posting more as I hope to see what 90 GR Sierra HP GKs do you the dogs at 3300-ish FPS!

Damned notch:

Mike’s metal craft on the knob root is exceptional:

Mike cut me a super tight chamber and I can’t even size my existing stock down to fit so I’ll be putting it all up for sale in the classifieds.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Black T is slick as snot and you can’t see difference between SS tube & CM receiver

Crown fit for a king 😉

Unsightly gap

I am calling her my “Mexibob”.

Gonna send her back to McM to redo eventually.

My son has a custom Bob on a Turk Mauser.

We love the Roberts a lot.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Brad
I've owned a number of Rob's going back 30 years.

My latest:

Very nice stock Brad!

Cope
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ok, I have two 257 Roberts, although they are not as pretty as some here.

The first is a Dakota Model 10. I love the way this gun handles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The second is a Dave Gentry "Montana Mountain Rifle" on a pre-64 Winchester. I really like this gun too, but I am tempted to re-stock it because the stock finish is slippery.

Edit: Apparently my transformation to full-on geezer is complete. That took a good hour to figure out how to correctly post images!

Last edited by Copenhagen; 02/25/20.

Cope
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ten years ago, this July, I came into possession of what has turned out to be my life's dream rifle. I was looking to build something half as nice. Having received a recent inheritance, I, otherwise, would never have had the money to buy this beauty. The owner accidentally communicated the incorrect LOP to the gun builder and now, was looking to quickly sell the rifle and wanted to commission an identical rifle (with the correct LOP) but in 375 H&H. He is, as am I, that impressed with the builders workmanship. It has taken more than a few attempts to find loads which meet my accuracy standards but I found several.

87 gr Hornady SP (no longer available) with IMR 4350
115 gr Nosler BT with either IMR 4350 or IMR 4831
120 gr Nosler PT with IMR 4831
110 gr TTSX with Hybrid 100

It was 4 yrs before finally harvesting my first game animal with it. I almost sold it several times but fortunately talked myself out of doing so, knowing i'd never find such a gorgeous rifle nor being able to afford something similar. My son and step son have both taken their first deer with it as well as mule deer and elk by myself.

The seller, emailed a bunch of pics to me hours after we first talked. I think I had to keep pulling my jaw off the ground as I looked over each picture. Here are a few for your enjoyment.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! Very, very nice rifle.

Last edited by Elvis; 03/15/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have somewhat mixed feelings when it comes to the Bob. My 1st was m70 USRAC FWT in the summer of 1984 ,it had a 2.82 " magazine on a long action. Factory 100 gr +P WW Silvertips shot good in it but WW & RP 117 gr rn loads didn't shoot for [bleep]. With 100 gr Hornady's & 4350 shot really well if seated out to the lands at 3.00" which made a single shot out of it. So my new rifle needed the mag block removed, a full length follower and the bolt stop fixed or repaired to be right. That was the last new model 70 I ever bought fugging dipchits at USRAC. It went down the road. Next was a M700 mtn rifle that didn't shoot worth beans and it didn't hang around long either. One day at the local LGS I spotted a very slightly used Ruger M77 RL in 257 after checking the mag length at 3" I cut a deal on it. the trigger was real nice. It was a Timney. It's a nice handling rifle that shoots 100 gr Hornady's and H4350 real well finally a good shooting 257. ONLY TOOK 25 years to get there. I put it to the test on the second weekend of antelope season that year 1 buck and 4 does out to 300 yds 1 doe needed a finisher but all the rest were 1 shot a piece. I've come to understand that the Bob does nothing you can't do with a 243 or 25-06. Although pursuing a good one can be a bitch. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.