Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is how we lose folks.
Just received word tonight that my local rifle, pistol and shotgun range has closed off the rifle and pistol area due to safety concerns and complaints.
Seems folks got tired of tannerite being set off, basic bad behavior and turned the club into the dept of roads. State highway 1/2 mile away. State has jurisdiction to 1 mile.
Decided that insufficient access control and proximity to said highway constituted unsafe conditions. If this stands it will be subject to state approval to reopen.
So for now, no shooting, no reloading, nada unless I want to drive 40 miles and pay for daily access. May just be a sell off in my future.

Swifty
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m not familiar with your neck of the woods, but is there no public land or anywhere else you can go?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No. 95% of the land in Nebraska is private. 90% of the WMA’s are off limits to target shooting due to same bad behavior. Go figure.

Swifty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
May be helpful to point out how many fatalities the state has on their highway and compare it to an "unsafe" shooting range...

If that doesn't work, complain. Seems to work for others.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe you can appease them with updated berms and baffles.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It's always a shame when a few jerks ruin it for everyone else.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
You need to m as ke freinds wi th h local farmer ,who likes to shoot .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
State has jurisdiction a mile away? WTH is that? I keep thinking I want to move where there’s less snow but everywhere I look, I see dumber laws. And who are these complaining, gender confused, candy azz’s. Don’t they know they live in Nebraska and not Connecticut?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a range less than two miles from my house. A couple of years ago someone lost control on full auto (so I was told) and one went over the berm and hit a house downrange. The owner of the house complained to the range, not the popo, and they made some changes to prevent any more of that, including having a R.O. at all times.

Separately, as a result of another complaint, they had to shut down the 400 yard range and redo it to address the county's concerns with the design. Ended up with a 200/250/300 yard range, and now shooters have to qualify to use it by shooting a 1" 5-shot group at 100yards(!). They also built a covered bench that features a window to keep the rifle muzzle pointed low enough to stay on the berms.

Not currently a member, but I definitely saw stuff there that was a little scary before they tightened up.

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Swifty52
This is how we lose folks.
Just received word tonight that my local rifle, pistol and shotgun range has closed off the rifle and pistol area due to safety concerns and complaints.
Seems folks got tired of tannerite being set off, basic bad behavior and turned the club into the dept of roads. State highway 1/2 mile away. State has jurisdiction to 1 mile.
Decided that insufficient access control and proximity to said highway constituted unsafe conditions. If this stands it will be subject to state approval to reopen.
So for now, no shooting, no reloading, nada unless I want to drive 40 miles and pay for daily access. May just be a sell off in my future.

Sorry to hear this.....where's this range located?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
There's a range less than two miles from my house. A couple of years ago someone lost control on full auto (so I was told) and one went over the berm and hit a house downrange. The owner of the house complained to the range, not the popo, and they made some changes to prevent any more of that, including having a R.O. at all times.

Separately, as a result of another complaint, they had to shut down the 400 yard range and redo it to address the county's concerns with the design. Ended up with a 200/250/300 yard range, and now shooters have to qualify to use it by shooting a 1" 5-shot group at 100yards(!). They also built a covered bench that features a window to keep the rifle muzzle pointed low enough to stay on the berms.

Not currently a member, but I definitely saw stuff there that was a little scary before they tightened up.

A club I belonged to before retiring Lincoln Ike’s had the same thing happen. Shot went over the berm hit a house. So the 300 yard range was shut down except for scheduled matches. The 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard ranges had to have the berms redesigned and baffles installed.
Now their problem is that a new state bypass highway is going in exactly 7/8 of a mile behind the 300 so they are in a fight to be able to keep it open.
With the way it’s designed it’s going to be a bitch to put in baffles. They also made a rule that you have to qualify at 100 and 200 before you get to shoot 300. Can understand why as there were some who used the new baffles as 25 yard targets, full auto, holes through the bench covers and incendiary rounds being fired. We had the berms on fire twice in one year during a drought from that.
As far as the 1 mile rule the state figures if a rifle range is within that distance to a highway it can pose significant safety issues as a bullet could travel or ricochet that distance.

Nebraska, the range is located in Merrick county on the river. Right now it’s a toss up if it’s going to open back up. Thing is Merrick county Sherriffs and CC police used that as their qualifying range instead of driving to G. I.

Swifty
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by ldholton
You need to make friends with a local farmer who likes to shoot.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that Louisville range?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Esox357

No, the op is in Merrick County, between Columbus and Grand Island.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 222Sako
Originally Posted by Esox357

No, the op is in Merrick County, between Columbus and Grand Island.

Correct. Some of the flattest bottom land in Nebraska. 62 miles of absolutely no hills. Corn from ditch to ditch. Most of it center pivot irrigated. Some areas within 3 miles of the river have ground water at 3 ft down. Some of the ground around here was going for 13-18K per acre during the 8.00 corn market. Still going for 7-8K per acre. Aren’t many farmers around here building berms for backstops.
Louisville or Eastern Nebraska Gun Club hasn’t got the problems. Shooting lanes are going North, away from the Highway.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha. Eastern Nebraska got partially shut down years back. Landowner claimed bullet struck their house or property.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting hadn’t heard about that. I do know that Heartland Park in Grand Island had their 600 yard range closed for quite awhile do to that complaint. What is strange is that one you shoot thru a tunnel that’s 30 yards long. It was supposedly impossible to launch one over the berm. The 100- 600 range just outside Burwell closed in 2018 and a 600-1000 between Kearney and North Platte Shut down all but the 100-200 last fall.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The free public range on the Sleepy Creek WMA closed over that nonsense too. How the Fugg do you miss a mountain?

What fresh Hell is this?
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Swifty52

Correct. Some of the flattest bottom land in Nebraska. 62 miles of absolutely no hills. Corn from ditch to ditch. Most of it center pivot irrigated. Some areas within 3 miles of the river have ground water at 3 ft down. Some of the ground around here was going for 13-18K per acre during the 8.00 corn market. Still going for 7-8K per acre. Aren’t many farmers around here building berms for backstops.
Louisville or Eastern Nebraska Gun Club hasn’t got the problems. Shooting lanes are going North, away from the Highway.

I belong to Eastern NE Gun Club so you'd always be welcome to come there and shoot or, even closer, you can also hit Oak Creek Sporting Club which ~1hr East of you (just past Brainard). The owner Terry is one of the best guys you could ever meet. They have a couple benches there and you can shoot 200-300 yards IIRC. They also have a really nice trap, skeet and sporting clays range too.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God bless America's public land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,522 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,145
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.