Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
X
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
X
What a shame that the only Ruger no1 listed in the New 2020 Ruger Catalog is the Stainless Steel in 450 Bushmaster.

I think Bill Ruger would be rolling in his Grave if he could see what the current crop of Managers has done to his beautiful designs.

If thats all they can offer in Single Shots I'll never buy another one. I've owned more than 200 in my lifetime with about 60 early Non-Prefix being the most at one time.

Shame on you .

BP-B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Lamentable for sure.......Except that those of us who like them generally want better wood than the pallet material they've been using, so the lack of sales/lack of production turns into a self-sustaining disaster for the No. 1.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Lamentable for sure.......Except that those of us who like them generally want better wood than the pallet material they've been using, so the lack of sales/lack of production turns into a self-sustaining disaster for the No. 1.

Exactly right!

The same can be said for the little Browning version of the 1885 low wall.
Now that Winchester is turning them out, their stocks are nothing short of plain white bread......

The single shots are a niche market and will never be a great money maker for the companies.
That said, by not offering them with decent wood they’re assuring the decline of sales and future demise of the product.......

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What are you guys talking about? You have to look at what they make for the distributors to sell. https://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Ruger&family=No.+1+Series&type=Rifle

There is got to be few with decent wood.

Any of the calibers below strike your fancy?
Calibers
204 Ruger (1)
22 Hornet (1)
243 Win (1)
250 Savage (1)
257 Roberts (1)
257 WBY Mag (1)
30-30 (1)
308 Win (1)
35 Whelen (1)
44 Magnum | 44 Special (1)
450 Bushmaster (1)
450 Marlin (1)
45-70 GOVT (1)
460 S&W Magnum (1)
475 Linebaugh | 480 Ruger (1)
6.5 Creedmoor (2)
6.5 x 55 Swe

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The future of the Ruger No.1 is an often discussed topic among enthusiasts.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Of the Lipsey's List, most are Out of Stock, with only 2 model/calibers having any significant inventory- these are the 1A in 250 Savage and the K1RSI in 6.5x55. The others in stock are in 1's and 2's quantities.
With regard to the 450 Bushmaster being the only No.1 in the 2020 catalog; I would note that it was the only No.1 in the Ruger exhibit at the recent DSC in Dallas. There is a reason for this- It is the only No.1 that has not been a Lipsey's Exclusive since 2013.
No.1 wood quality has gotten a lot of comments lately.
As a student, collector, buyer and seller of Ruger No.1's, I am going to share my experience and insight on wood quality. I have handled and sold over 1500 Ruger No.1's in the last 15 years, so this is from what I have observed. Wood quality on the No.1 rifles has varied from the beginning-1967. Generally, rifles shipped in 1967 are rather plain. in 1968-69, wood quality is generally exceptional. The early '70's wood is generally nice, but by 1973 began to taper off. 1976, the Bi Centennial year, really good wood was again on rifles, but one must be careful of salt wood in these years and the good wood lasted until the early '80's. For the next 20-25 years, the wood could be variable, some nice and most plain. About 1992-93 some really nice wood is found, but it was generally average until about 2004. From 2004 until October 2013, wood was generally quite nice and buyers got used to this quality. So, when the really plain wood started showing up in 2013, people noticed, because they had become spoiled over the last 10 years! When the 308 K1RSI's were made couple years ago, they were exceptional. Last year, I received a run of 375 Ruger RSI's and the wood is exceptional, even most forearms! Also, at the end of last year, I received a 125 run of Joe Clayton Classics in the 1A configuration with a 25" barrel in 280 Ackley Improved. These rifles ALL had really good wood and some were exceptional! These were serial numbered JDC-001 thru 125. These last 2 caliber/configuratiions of the Ruger No.1 were Lipsey's Exclusives and Classic Sporting Arms was the Exclusice Retailer.
Obviously there are some exceptions to these years, but that has been my observation. If Ruger can continue to get wood of this recent quality, they can sell all the No.1's they can make. They won't make many, because 3000 per year is the capacity at 100% of the production time.

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
21 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by El_Numero_Uno
Of the Lipsey's List, most are Out of Stock, with only 2 model/calibers having any significant inventory- these are the 1A in 250 Savage and the K1RSI in 6.5x55. The others in stock are in 1's and 2's quantities.
With regard to the 450 Bushmaster being the only No.1 in the 2020 catalog; I would note that it was the only No.1 in the Ruger exhibit at the recent DSC in Dallas. There is a reason for this- It is the only No.1 that has not been a Lipsey's Exclusive since 2013.
As a student, collector, buyer and seller of Ruger No.1's, I am going to share my experience and insight on wood quality. I have handled and sold over 1500 Ruger No.1's in the last 15 years, so this is from what I have observed. Wood quality on the No.1 rifles has varied from the beginning-1967. Generally, rifles shipped in 1967 are rather plain. in 1968-69, wood quality is generally exceptional. The early '70's wood is generally nice, but by 1973 began to taper off. 1976, the Bi Centennial year, really good wood was again on rifles, but one must be careful of salt wood in these years and the good wood lasted until the early '80's. For the next 20-25 years, the wood could be variable, some nice and most plain. About 1992-93 some really nice wood is found, but it was generally average until about 2004. From 2004 until October 2013, wood was generally quite nice and buyers got used to this quality. So, when the really plain wood started showing up in 2013, people noticed, because they had become spoiled over the last 10 years! When the 308 K1RSI's were made couple years ago, they were exceptional. Last year, I received a run of 375 Ruger RSI's and the wood is exceptional, even most forearms! Also, at the end of last year, I received a 125 run of Joe Clayton Classics in the 1A configuration with a 25" barrel in 280 Ackley Improved. These rifles ALL had really good wood and some were exceptional! These were serial numbered JDC-001 thru 125. These last 2 caliber/configuratiions of the Ruger No.1 were Lipsey's Exclusives and Classic Sporting Arms was the Exclusice Retailer.
Obviously there are some exceptions to these years, but that has been my observation. If Ruger can continue to get wood of this recent quality, they can sell all the No.1's they can make. They won't make many, because 3000 per year is the capacity at 100% of the production time.

Interesting insight from a fellow who knows things. Thanks. JP

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks. A last point; no doubt in my mind that 1968 had the best wood. I own a lot of rifles from this year and near all are exceptional. My Joe Clayton Classic from last year(JDC-010) has wood as good as any of the 1968 rifles. It was hand picked, but that kind of wood still shows up on the No.1 rifle.
It is pictured at www.classicsportingarms.com

El Numero Uno
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've owned a bunch of #1's, since the late 70's, and this also mirrors my experience. I think the best one I have is a .30-40 #1A, that was a Cabelas special edition. It has a piece of Circassian on it, that would not be out of place on a London Best Rifle. I've seen one other Cabelas .30-40, and it also was very nice. I think there was also a Cabelas 1S in .300 H&H, which usually have nice wood, too.

I'd grab a Joe Clayton, but already had a 4 digit BB 6mm, with shot-out barrel, rebarreled by PacNor. That was done a few months before their plant burned. smile

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 02/15/20.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'll show you one of these Joe Clayton Classics in 280AI at the Hog Hunt next month! The 25" A barrel makes it pretty sweet.

El Numero Uno
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll show you one of these Joe Clayton Classics in 280AI at the Hog Hunt next month! The 25" A barrel makes it pretty sweet.

Sounds good smile I will be bringing either a .257 Weatherby or my custom .280 smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still praying for a 22LR.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by x1proto1
What a shame that the only Ruger no1 listed in the New 2020 Ruger Catalog is the Stainless Steel in 450 Bushmaster.

I think Bill Ruger would be rolling in his Grave if he could see what the current crop of Managers has done to his beautiful designs.

If thats all they can offer in Single Shots I'll never buy another one. I've owned more than 200 in my lifetime with about 60 early Non-Prefix being the most at one time.

Shame on you .

and when it doesn't sell, they can kill it.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How many are out there now still NIB, as well as nice used? Not much sense in pumping out more until the demand exeeds the supply, unless someone like Lipsey's orders up some, guaranteed sales. Ruger has suspended production of other stuff, even maybe No. 1s, then resumed when they saw a market. Granted that some of the ones they have produced of late were niche products like the .450s. Maybe they guessed wrong about how many Midwestern deer hunters would gobble those up. I expect they'll eventually sell; might even buy one myself if the price was really right.

Just a few years ago, I bought one of the .243 1Vs from Whittaker for $800. Not sure who made money there, except maybe the $50 or so I made when I sold it after having my fun.

What fresh Hell is this?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
X1proto1: I agree to this extent - it is a shame the the folks at Ruger have put the exceptionally handsome Model #1 "on the back burner" of recent!
I go way back with Ruger #1's with my first being a very accurate and VERY beautiful Model 1-B in 6mm Remington. I bought it new and the serial number was a "lucky" 1,300!
Damn how I wish I had that one back.
I sold it to a left handed friend who pestered me for years to buy it - I finally relinquished and sold it to him with his promise that if he ever sold it he would sell it back to me - that ex-friend lied and for that reason and a couple others I never spoke to him for the rest of his life.
They don't make them like they used to (I agree with you all on that) but I wish they would at least MAKE"M!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm still praying for a 22LR.

I’m still praying for an accurate one. I’ve shot a few and owned four, a 1B and three 1V. None shot worth a damn despite lots of money wasted on various forend alterations and fixes and some after market triggers.
Would never own another unless I could shoot it first and verify accuracy. And that’s not likely to happen.

NRA Patron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
some of us have some very accurate Ruger #1`s,sometimes they need forearm work , some #1`s need other adjustments to make a #1 shoot well ,sometimes some shooters just don`t shoot well with any rifle ? as a gun dealer and owner of at least 50-60 Ruger # 1`s over many years i think i have a real understanding on how to make this type a rifle shoot well.

Last edited by pete53; 02/19/20.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by pete53
some of us have some very accurate Ruger #1`s,sometimes they need forearm work , some #1`s need other adjustments to make a #1 shoot well ,sometimes some shooters just don`t shoot well with any rifle ? as a gun dealer and owner of at least 50-60 Ruger # 1`s over many years i think i have a real understanding on how to make this type a rifle shoot well.

Good looks can only get you so far in life. It would have been helpful if Ruger took some feedback on accuracy. I quote the above, because most buyers dont want to pay up for a premium rifle and then make it into a project. I read this often. it is very good to be aware but; not a good way to promote sales. I own two No'1 and accuracy is so-so to adequate. I have a Higgs gizmo someplace around here to try out someday. I dont know what the other tricks are. Forarm relived? Honestly, this is not what I pay up for. I have seen numbers as high as $1500 in local shops for a 450! Meanwhile, I have a $400 Ruger American in 450 that is very accurate.

Second opinion, The best way to sell guns is lower the price. Think about the No3 with plain wood. A low cost No3 in 44mmag is a gun I would buy that tomorrow. When I see the next used one it will happen Then I need to worry about scope mounting. Ugg. Much more handy than a Henry. The Henry has nice wood, but a nice stock is the frosting on a cake. Wood does not count for much if the gun itself does not measure up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a beautiful 1B in 25-06, but since 25s never turned my crank...other than an interest in a 250-3k, or AI version, it went down the road. Others were 1B 270, 1A 243, 1RSI 243.......and a K1A 6.5x55 Stainless with gorgeous Walnut. That shot 1.1" at 200 yds...3 shots. That 1A 243 did 3/8" out the box......for some reason felt the desire to have Pac-Nor put on a 6BR in 8 twist, 1V contour, but 26" long. It shot .498....at 330 yds....Kepplinger trigger and 4-16x40 AO 4200.

When you have an accurate Ruger No. 1 - they sure are fun. That said, I also had....had...a beautiful 243 Low Wall....sold it.....shot 1/2 MOA, first 2 in the same hole at 200 yds, 6x scope.

Single shots when built well, like many of mine were........and stocked with pretty wood, are very worthy.

That said, I would never pay any decent money, for ANY wood stocked rifle, with ugly wood. Now if they want to come out with a value priced Stainless with a lightweight quality material composite stock......but those FUGLY wood rifles.......you can keep those. Just me.

Many options out there, but a TC owner can change out barrels and have a nice wood stock.....and have a lot of fun for less money. Ask Bobby Tomek wink I had a 6 TCU years back....another I should have kept, like the 22, 6.5 / 7 TCU, 41s, 44, 30-30, and 357 Max Contenders I used extensively years ago......often MOA accurate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all very good points about these rifles ,but at my age i want a quality built rifle and myself i like the one shot and done ,my Ruger #1 shoots well out to 600 yards ,resale 10-20 years will always have great value,my rifle will be inherited to a grandson there is alot of pride with any rifle with class too.if you wanna shoot a cheap rifle and a cheap scope go for it, that`s just not my style,i want speed,accuracy and workmanship. here`s my specs. on my Ruger #1 s.s. ,this rifle has a custom 27 inch, in a 257 Weatherby,#5 Brux barrel,Timney trigger,glass bedded and floated shoots 3800 fps with my handloads, 100 gr. Nosler Partition shoots under a inch at 200 yards ,scope is a Nightforce 5-22x56 ,custom made picatinny base.i had 2 of these built one for me one for my son and when i am gone grandson gets mine.for the last 10 years this rifle has always shot well,never a mechanical problem and killed some great bucks out west and in Minnesota too. in my family we talk rifles,cartridges and bucks shot at all family functions including funerals, a hunter`s rifle is a pride thing for myself,friends and family members too. if you worry about cost or a rifle ,why ? many of us have spilled more money in a bar.Grin

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
652 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.