24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lord willing I'm heading to Idaho with my son this year and packing way back in. First time taking him, never had to worry about providing water for anyone but myself so use a life straw and a sawyer walmart water filter, but its slow. Need to up the output to filter for both of us, what is your favorite/most trusted/ bulletproof filter? Will stillpb carry a couple lifestraws, one in each pack as a back-up.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For two people, the Katadyn Hiker Pro is probably your best option.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks KC, I’ll look that up

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sawyer squeeze filter here. Just remember to bring along something to dip water to pour it into the squeeze bag.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Whatever you choose, a good pre-filter is worth it’s weight.

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Sawyer squeeze filter here. Just remember to bring along something to dip water to pour it into the squeeze bag.

The big advantage of the Sawyer Squeese Filter is the syringe that is included. It allows for back-flushing the filter element. I have even used the Sawyer syringe on my Platapus Waterworks filter. That saved me from spendiong $60 to replace my Platapus filter element. I have also combined some after market items to turn my squeeze filter into a gravity filter. You can sit on the bag and avoid squeezing. The dissadvantage of the Sawyer system is that the bags are prone to develope leaks. But you can buy a set of two 1/2 gallon bags at REI for $10.

Last edited by KC; 02/19/20.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I prefer the sawyer, set up to gravity feed. Bring the backflush syringe if you are going to be filtering glacial water.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You want good water our of anything ? MSR Guardian . I've literally filters what looked like barely water mixed with appropriate amounts of cow feces and throw in maybe a dead animal and turned it into water that not only did NOT make me sick but was drinkable Sans that there are lot of good options that are all lighter BUT all of them will clog at times . The original sawyer is good, there are some lighter pump filters, the Platy gravity good as well. The Befree is good but has limited life. I often use Iodine if water is pretty clean.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I typically hike and hunt in a pretty water rich environs and usually just use tabs- I have two bottles one is ready to go, the other is water with a tab in it- when the water in the ready to go bottle is getting low, the other is now ready to go. I've used this system for decades and works pretty well (in water rich environs).

I recently purchased a MSR Trailshot to try and thus far, it works really well- the advantage of it, is I carry just one bottle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
Bring the backflush syringe if you are going to be filtering glacial water.

I forget, is that bragging or complaining??

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I choose to not limit my statements to just one category. First sheep hunt I went on, I think I had a MSR filter, and clogged it less than a quart into the hunt on day 0 (fly in day).

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Best to pre settle the water before filtration go to your local water plant and ask for a small sample of there coagulant. Only takes a couple drops per gallon. Let it settle then filter. Retired water plant operator for 40 years.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
I choose to not limit my statements to just one category. First sheep hunt I went on, I think I had a MSR filter, and clogged it less than a quart into the hunt on day 0 (fly in day).

Real men don't filter.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use an MSR miniworks. It's not the fastest, but it works. I like how it screws into my nalgenes and dromendary bag. Field serviceable too

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hiker Pro for the win!!!

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I messed around with the Sawyer mini squeeze last archery season in the mountains. Liked it. Picked up a few larger bags to go with it. I always carry tablet for back up too

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use an MSR hyperflow. It is not exceptionally fast but it certainly pumps enough water fast enough for my use.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Lord willing I'm heading to Idaho with my son this year and packing way back in. First time taking him, never had to worry about providing water for anyone but myself so use a life straw and a sawyer walmart water filter, but its slow. Need to up the output to filter for both of us, what is your favorite/most trusted/ bulletproof filter? Will stillpb carry a couple lifestraws, one in each pack as a back-up.

MM

How much do you anticipate needing? I think your system is fine. Why not just buy him this?

https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw-go

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Whiskey

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are camping near water, consider a gravity filter. We used a Katadyn on our Nevada hunt. We'd fill it up at night before bed and let it drain into a clean water bag. Wake up, fill our bottles and bladder, then fill the gravity filter again before we left. A little extra work to keep filling it, but let gravity work for you. It had a shut off valve also, so you can fill up cups/stoves at camp.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
325 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.