Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#14579447 02/17/20
F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I’m about to take the plunge into handgun hunting.
I want to use a Glock 20

If any of you have tips or tricks for reloading and hunting with the 10mm,
please share.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty much like any other auto pistol round. Use good bullets, decent crimp, fairly slow powder (like Longshot). I fooled with 215 gr bullets and didn't like them, going forward 200's are max for me. Others really like the heavy bullets, as with many things, YMMV.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Thank you sotg,

I’m going to shoot factory loads then reload.

I want to reload lead free pills.....

Should be fun

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Due to the ridiculous 30-day waiting period here in Kali, I am at least 30 days behind you, but I am also seriously looking at a Glock 20 (Gen3) and it seems a worthy candidate for handloading. Lead-free required here as well.

I'll be peeking in and would be interested in your account of how things go.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rick, and/or other Cali handgunners.

I moved back to this politically screwed up state in the fall of '16. Am I missing something? Should I decide I want another handgun do I need to wait 30 days? Or did you purchase another one recently?

A relatively inexpensive way to get some handgun experience is the HAM hunt for javelina in AZ too. Quite a number of units have leftover tags from the draw if one didn't get in on that. Could be tied in with other vacation plans if timed right too. Added benefit, if you find a practice "leaded" round you like you can hunt with it in AZ.

Good luck fester and Rick.

Now, if you guys could find me a source of suitable weight (length) .25 caliber lead free bullets for my 25-20/.256 WinMag Bowen revolver I'd be forever grateful.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you go Gen 3 get the SF.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Rick, and/or other Cali handgunners.

I moved back to this politically screwed up state in the fall of '16. Am I missing something? Should I decide I want another handgun do I need to wait 30 days? Or did you purchase another one recently?

A relatively inexpensive way to get some handgun experience is the HAM hunt for javelina in AZ too. Quite a number of units have leftover tags from the draw if one didn't get in on that. Could be tied in with other vacation plans if timed right too. Added benefit, if you find a practice "leaded" round you like you can hunt with it in AZ.

Good luck fester and Rick.

Now, if you guys could find me a source of suitable weight (length) .25 caliber lead free bullets for my 25-20/.256 WinMag Bowen revolver I'd be forever grateful.

Geno

A couple things:

There is a 30-day waiting period between handgun purchases in Kali. I already have one in the works, which means I have to wait 30 days before I can start the DROS process for another.

There is a "roster" of approved handguns in Kali, and you can't buy new anything that is not on that roster (there are a couple of exceptions for LEOs, family transfers, and private party sales). Because the requirements to be on the roster now include microstamping, which basically still does not exist, no new guns are being added. Sooooo, for example, no Gen4 or Gen5 Glocks, plus a ton of others, are on the roster.

It's so onerous it's laughable.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Rick,

I knew about the roster when I moved back after nearly 20 years. Didn't realize about the microstamping crap though.

And I thought perhaps they might have changed the 10 day waiting period to 30 days without informing me.

Laughable is right. Having spent the majority of my life in this State, and having seen all the laws installed since '63 when we moved here, I'm surprised it's not a peaceful Utopia by now.....................but nothing seems to have worked, we still have bad guys killing each other and good folks too.

Good luck with your new purchase, when it goes through of course.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RickBin
Due to the ridiculous 30-day waiting period here in Kali, I am at least 30 days behind you, but I am also seriously looking at a Glock 20 (Gen3) and it seems a worthy candidate for handloading. Lead-free required here as well.

I'll be peeking in and would be interested in your account of how things go.

I have about 8 more days of the 30 day waiting period.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If I were stuck in an area which required lead-free, I'd load up Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators or mid-weight Barnes and wouldn't worry one bit about humane "harvests".

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can't imagine having to live under communist rule. I get ready to go buy a gun, I just walk in, pay em, and walk out with it. And the lead free stuff, really????

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Glock 40 Gen 4 with RMR and Trijicon Supressor sights which help co-witness the red dot. Easier to find it that way. 7" KKM barrel helps with lead bullets, but you non-lead guys, I don't know much about the best way to go there.

Had a trigger job by my smith who is retired SWAT sniper with local PD and a trained Glock Armorer.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! I like that pistol DF, looks to be a hell of a hunting setup.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have not started handloading for the 10mm yet but Running Underwood 200gr XTP ammo will try to kill a hog in a couple weeks on the Campfire hog hunt

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE Dan, where's the pig hunt sticky?

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! I like that pistol DF, looks to be a hell of a hunting setup.

From the standpoint of the trigger, even with the trigger job, your 10mm set up is better.

I think the Glock kicks less, or at least feels like it kicks less than a metal frame.

DF

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE Dan, where's the pig hunt sticky?

Didn't post anything this year since we are full up with repeat members....but always have an opening for you amigo
I was hitting clays at 50 yds consistently today some at 100 yds but not consistenly

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 DF and Thanks Dan, you'll be splitting some pork ribs with that setup.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm shooting 180's over 9.2 gr. Longshot, which seems to be a good 10 mm powder. They're probably running around 1,250 fps, maybe a bit more out of the 7" KKM. I need to clock'em.

The far right is the 180 XTP, so far the most accurate. I did pick up some 180 FMJ from Rocky Mtn Reloaders for a good price. They shoot pretty good, not as tight as the XTP. From my cowboy action days, I have some 38-40 180 gr. RNFP soft lead bullets (far left) that I haven't tried yet, but should do OK in the KKM barrel. Sounds like a good way to shoot up surplus .38-40 CAS bullets. Loaded round is a truncated cone lead, but I don't remember which one, probably 180 gr.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used a glock 20 gen 3 sf for several years. I always had random reliability issues no matter what I tried. Glock wouldn't even look at.it because they know their guns don't jam.

I finally got rid of it after making sure my xdm 10mm shoots. I have yet to have s failure of any kind with the xdm 10. Now I wish KKM would make a long throated 40 barrel for my xdms. I have one from my glock I'd like to sell.

My favorite load of all the many I loaded is 200g xtps over longshot. I'm going to experiment more with be-86 because it showed potential too.

Bb

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (10Glocks, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,227
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.