-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a flake powder. Just trying to find a good use for the ProReach I have, as Longshot won the battle of powders in my 28 gauge shooting Tungsten shot.

But no reason to fool with it sans lab data. I have plenty of Longshot. I’ll find a good use for the ProTeach eventually.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RickBin
It’s a flake powder. Just trying to find a good use for the ProReach I have, as Longshot won the battle of powders in my 28 gauge shooting Tungsten shot.

But no reason to fool with it sans lab data. I have plenty of Longshot. I’ll find a good use for the ProTeach eventually.

That makes sense.

But, as a Loony, it would be interesting to see what that powder could do. Maybe one of these days, if Alliant is as reported, competing with Hogdgon, rolling out ProReach to compete with Longshot, they need to develop a broader range of ProReach info, including pistol data.

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With the quarantine I will have more time to find a good load for the 10mm. More trips more often to the range.

Clos

NRA Life Member

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by clos
With the quarantine I will have more time to find a good load for the 10mm. More trips more often to the range.

LOL, I have a new box of 100 count Starline 10mm brass, some Longshot powder and 100 of the 200gr XTP's, guess I best get it all assembled too ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a 1995 Glock 20 new.
All I have ever used it for is overload work ups in 10mm and 40sw.

I worked on how to get the most power:
1) Aftermarket barrel with case support up to or close to the case web.
2) Best powder is IMR-800X triple compressed, much less trouble is #2 is Power Pistol
3) Best bullets are 180 gr or 200 gr.
4) Barrels may need to be throated.
5) Loaded ammo may bulge with compressed powder and require resizing loaded ammo.
6) Do not use bullets squished in compressing powder. Loaded ammo must fall into chamber and not wedge bullet.
7) Build triple recoil spring assemblies to keep slide from hammering the frame and your hand.
8) Use two magazine springs in parallel to compensate for recoils spring speed.
9) Use higher trigger force [NYCPD trigger] to reset with faster slide.
10) Throat chamber to take fat bullets at maximum OAL that will feed.
11) Use small primer brass. If no 10mm brass is available, use 40sw brass and a 40sw barrel that is throated.

When I work up to brass failure, Longshot never gets high velocities like Power Pistol and 800X.
When I work up, not enough Blue Dot will fit in the case to get high velocities.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm damn sure no Gunsmith and realize the 10mm came before the 40 S&W, but still wish the 10mm would have been brought to market with a small primer pocket and tough thicker web area as in the 40 cal case.

Trump Won!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'm damn sure no Gunsmith and realize the 10mm came before the 40 S&W, but still wish the 10mm would have been brought to market with a small primer pocket and tough thicker web area as in the 40 cal case.

I don't understand why people keep repeating that myth. Try sectioning both a 10mm and 40 S&W case of the same brand. The case webs are exactly the same.

Sure, a small primer can make the case head stronger in theory, but if you're loading at the level where that matters (i.e. loosening primer pockets), you're way WAY past the max case pressure.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Yondering

I don't understand why people keep repeating that myth. Try sectioning both a 10mm and 40 S&W case of the same brand. The case webs are exactly the same.

Sure, a small primer can make the case head stronger in theory, but if you're loading at the level where that matters (i.e. loosening primer pockets), you're way WAY past the max case pressure.

Already have, three drinking rednecks at a Buds machine shop, with only two there being machine shop intelligent, and I wasn't one of em, don't know if all the brass was of the same company make, but sectioned 9, 40 and 10mm, to my eye, and without miking, both the 9 and 40 looked a little thicker in the web area than the 10.

I started this autopsy after talking to the guys about the 40 cal kabooms in the Glock, and the poor guys with Colt 10mm's having to shoot watered down loads because of smileys, I load 200's to 1200 fps in my DW 10mm, not STUPID enough to load to primer pocket loosening, ymmv, I have 44 mag and 454 revolvers if I need more power. crazy

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a G20 Gen 4, 22# recoil spring, 6 in KKM barrel. I shoot 180 grain Delta Precision hollow points, 9.0 grains of Longshot, Starline brass, Federal primers. I get 1250 fps in the stock barrel, 1361 fps in the 6" KKM. I get similar increases in velocity between the 2 barrels with other loads as well.

Example-Factory loads
Speer 200 grain Gold Dot 1036fps/1128 fps
Underwood 180 grain Gold Dot 1226 fps/1306 fps

Handload, Montana Bullet Works hard cast 200 grain
1161 fps/1311 fps

Rather than running super hot loads, you can pick up around 100 fps and 100 ft lbs, simply by changing your barrel and not sacrificing reliability.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Already have, three drinking rednecks at a Buds machine shop, with only two there being machine shop intelligent, and I wasn't one of em, don't know if all the brass was of the same company make, but sectioned 9, 40 and 10mm, to my eye, and without miking, both the 9 and 40 looked a little thicker in the web area than the 10.

I started this autopsy after talking to the guys about the 40 cal kabooms in the Glock, and the poor guys with Colt 10mm's having to shoot watered down loads because of smileys, I load 200's to 1200 fps in my DW 10mm, not STUPID enough to load to primer pocket loosening, ymmv, I have 44 mag and 454 revolvers if I need more power. crazy

If you try it again and be more precise about it - you'll discover that claim just ain't so.

Half-azz input = half-azz results. Section the same brand cases, and make sure to section them both exactly to the center otherwise it changes how thick they look on the sectioned surface.

And comparing 40 cal Glocks to 10mm Colts is apples and oranges. Bottom line - the 40 S&W and the 10mm share the same case web, just different primer sizes. There are always variations between brands, but there is no specification for the 40 to have thicker case webs than the 10mm.

Last edited by Yondering; 04/03/20.
IC B3

F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a box of 40 .400 Barnes 125 gr bullets
I want to run through my glock20sg, gen3, mechtech.

I spied Barnes reloading data.... I do not have the powder in the list.

Xtp-xp 125 gr. .400

I have not shot them, nor reloading for them.
Do you guys have some info?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What powders do you have?

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Boogaloo
What powders do you have?

Accurate# 9, blue dot, h110....

F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
I’m on the hunt for power pistol...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Those powders are on the slow side for a 125gr. Blue Dot would be your best pick. I'm not a Power Pistol fan, but a powder around that burn rate would work. BE-86 is very close to being PP with a flash suppressant and seems to be available.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Those powders are on the slow side for a 125gr. Blue Dot would be your best pick. I'm not a Power Pistol fan, but a powder around that burn rate would work. BE-86 is very close to being PP with a flash suppressant and seems to be available.

I agree on Blue Dot being the best choice out of those. AA9 is excellent for heavier bullets, but you'll run out of case capacity before reaching max pressure with lighter bullets.

Forget about H110 completely for the 10mm. It's too slow and too bulky for even the heaviest bullets. It'll go bang, but is not a good choice.

F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F

I agree on Blue Dot being the best choice out of those. AA9 is excellent for heavier bullets, but you'll run out of case capacity before reaching max pressure with lighter bullets.

Forget about H110 completely for the 10mm. It's too slow and too bulky for even the heaviest bullets. It'll go bang, but is not a good choice.

Do you have recipe ?

F
fester Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
Me and the kid just primed 10mm cases and are itching to take the Mechtech upper out.
This thing looks fun.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by fester

Do you have recipe ?

Not for those 125gr Barnes bullets, sorry. If it were mine, I'd look at 135gr and 155gr data to figure out where to start (the solid copper Barnes take up more case capacity than normal 135gr jacketed bullets) and work up from there.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Loading 220 Gr Cast bullets with Blue Dot, trying to get an affordable load for practice to duplicate Buffalo Bores 220 Gr hard cast load.

The long heavy bullets are tricky to load and still feed right, using a taper crimp and plunk testing in my barrel. Load worked well in my Glock 20 but thinking my Springfield XDM in 10 mm has a tighter chamber.

Anyone use Lee factory crimp die in a 10mm?

Not much if any data on 220 cast loads, any data please share especially with Blue Dot. Thanks

measured my bullet diameter 200 gr cast .4010 220 gr cast .4018 jacketed 200 gr Hornady .40 cast bullets were local not commercial.

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/18/20.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,566
Posts18,453,797
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.