Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just used the site yesterday to find a killer deal on 22 Nosler ammo. The best deal was the very first one.....and exactly what I was looking for so the site changes were no problem.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
GB1

A
A
Originally Posted by silver78
First - "Constructive feedback is welcome." Well this is the fire and folks here say pretty much what they want to say. No one person here has control over what other folks say/think here. Arguing with folks here is a waste of time. So you are just going to have to filter through the comments and decide what you think is helpful.

Fair enough. I used the word "constructive" because when we receive emails that say nothing more than "YOUR SITE SUCKS! YOU SHOULD BE BLINDED BY ACID!" (and yes, we've received that exact message) it doesn't give us anything to work on. We're looking for specifics, so we know what to fix. smile

We spent several years redesigning the site (in our spare time, after working for a living) and purely negative comments don't feel too good. Thankfully, most of the feedback has been positive. But we still want to continue improving things wherever we can, while still achieving the goals we needed to tackle with the site redesign.

I see from the article that one can still use the classic version of your site.

https://classic.ammoseek.com/

How long will it be available? If you are willing to keep it functional and give folks an easy way to keep using it this would go a long way towards keeping us old timers happy.

We plan for it to be available for at least the next year or so. But when we add new features, we'll only be adding them to the new site. For examples, you can only search on a RANGE of grains on the new site. And there are a lot of ways to customize your experience on the new site that do not (and will never) happen on the classic site.

So basically the classic version will exist as-is for at least a year, but it won't continue to get improvements like the new site will.

Important Note: both the new site and the classic site search the same data, so the results pages should be the same for identical searches.

I see that a better mobile experience was a key part of the re-design motivation. I get that because more and more people - esp. the younger folks use their phone as the primary interface. Not me and not a lot of folks on the fire. Those youngsters are the future and we are not. OTOH please remember that it was us oldsters who made your site successful.

At age 50, I'm not sure if I'd be considered a youngster or an oldster, but our site statistics indicate that more than 55% of traffic to our site is from mobile devices. For me, personally, this an irritating development, and I nearly always use a desktop/laptop browser. However, we have to we aware of our audience. And given that we were being punished heavily by Google for having a site that is 'not mobile-friendly' (which was really hurting us in several ways) we decided we need to make a change. But at every step of the way during the redesign, I'm making sure that I can still do things reasonably easily using a regular computer/browser. But everyone's different, and when it's just two of us, we cannot always predict how people will react to changes, hence our request for construct feedback. :-)

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

-Mike

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dassa
The old system was much easier to use, and to read. The new setup is almost worthless on a phone.

I just tried the app on my iPhone that I have always used, nothing has changed with the iPhone app. Maybe if I reload the app it may be different format, but I don't think I will do that unless I have to. I don't see AmmoSeek never being my first place to hunt for ammo. I've found ammo for stuff you just shouldn't be able to find. Used it for years, THUMBS UP here.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I just tried the new version. It's different but seems workable to me.

A
A
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

I just tried the app on my iPhone that I have always used, nothing has changed with the iPhone app. Maybe if I reload the app it may be different format, but I don't think I will do that unless I have to. I don't see AmmoSeek never being my first place to hunt for ammo. I've found ammo for stuff you just shouldn't be able to find. Used it for years, THUMBS UP here.

The native mobile apps are completely separate from the web site.

The android app was yanked from the Google Play store because [they say] we promote "dangerous activities" (WTF???)
And while our mobile app for iPhone is still available, Apple could yank it at any time for the same reason. They've already pull it once in the past for a minor update that didn't really change anything with respect to their policies.

Our mobile app, like the classic site (at https://classic.ammoseek.com/), is essentially "dead code" and will receive no further updates until it dies or is yanked by Apple.

Hopefully if you point your phone's web browser to https://ammoseek.com/ you'll have a positive experience too (but it will be very different than the mobile app).

And we're still working on refining that experience too, to hopefully make it more like the mobile app itself, while still retaining all the extra features that the web site has (and the mobile app lacks) like alerts.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

170 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 31 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,464
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.