Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by slumlord
MSG will make even orange tabby cat taste good.

Crockpots do the same

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The moose I got in Alaska is simply fantastic. I think I would rate it above cow elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Moose is probably our favorite with caribou being least favorite. We also like cow elk and antelope but didn’t enjoy the Musk ox I shot.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have never eaten moose. That being said, the best game meat I have ever eaten was a yearling bison. Every pronghorn that I have tried has been excellent too.
My favorite small game has to be squirrel (perhaps because I don't get an opportunity to hunt them as often as quail/dove /rabbit).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At one time, Safari Club listed them in this order

1 giraffe

2 mountain nyala

3 moose

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Appreciate all the guys that actually read the OP and answered the question. Maybe the rest can take some online ADD classes or something. I can't say I'm surprised though.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Depends on who and how it's cooked. I've had great and awful off the same deer ham.

Last edited by websterparish47; 02/17/20.
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc.

Miscellaneous meat is in your top 4? Its not even in my top ten...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OAM
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc.

lol, I think the misc. goes along with the African antelope

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by OAM

lol, I think the misc. goes along with the African antelope

I know. Lol

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
ahhhh. sailed over my head

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Like many here, I've eaten lots of big game over the years. My personal favorites are axis deer, gemsbok, elk, misc. African antelope, antelope, nilgai. I'm really wanting to shoot a moose, and have found a Newfoundland outfitter that I like, and can get the meat back home to enjoy.

Question: Where does moose meat fit into the "best game meat" scenario?

Near the top IMO....

I agree this would be my favorites
Sheep
Elk
Moose
Prong Horn

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A question with no "right" answer.

Individual tastes differ.
Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

Some personal opinion/comments that may or may not be pertinent:

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )

Last edited by las; 02/17/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
It's up there but I like Pronghorn better.

Nothing beats grass-fed pronghorn. Never had any that fed on mostly sage.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by las
A question with no "right" answer.

Individual tastes differ.
Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

Some personal opinion/comments that may or may not be pertinent:

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )

Excellent post.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
I have never eaten moose. That being said, the best game meat I have ever eaten was a yearling bison. Every pronghorn that I have tried has been excellent too.
My favorite small game has to be squirrel (perhaps because I don't get an opportunity to hunt them as often as quail/dove /rabbit).

Squirrel are better than quail, dove or rabbit. Sandhill crane are pretty darn good.
I like doe whitetails better than steak. It's getting hard to find even prime steak that really has good flavor.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Squirrel are better than quail, dove or rabbit. Sandhill crane are pretty darn good.
I like doe whitetails better than steak. It's getting hard to find even prime steak that really has good flavor.

“Prime deer”would be the ones caked in mud standing in knee-deep manure, nose to ass in a corral.
Mmmmmmmm,mmmmmm

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Yeah, GJ. Theres no right answer. So I'm going with venison, elk, moose, antelope and squirrel. smirk

I like the sweetness of whitetail doe.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I have had squirrel twice and neither time did I enjoy it. I dont know if it was just a poor tasting sub-species of your local squirrels or if its was a matter of our squirrels diets. Either way, I feel like I am missing out. There is alot of people on this forum that seem to really like the little critters. Somebody send me some good squirrel and I will trade some good porcupine.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JGRaider: My Hunting career/interest has led me to enjoy all manner of "wild game" and I'll list'em in my order of enjoyment preference!

#1 = Whitetailed Deer (grain fed and harvested before the rut)
#2 = Elk (again harvested before the rut)
#3 = Mule Deer (grain fed before the rut)
#4 = Moose (avoid older bulls in this ranking)
#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#6 = Antelope (cared for properly and cleanly kill't)
#7 = Mt. Goat
#8 = Bear (Bear roast with onions, carrots and potatoes is really good!)
#9 = Cougar
#10 = Wild Turkey (can't figure out a "good" way to prepare these?)
#11 = Canada Goose (made into sausage!)

Sadly I have not partaken much at all of Bighorn Sheep - I hear their meat is rather palatable.

We are thawing out some filet mignon of Whitetailed Deer for dinner tonight!
I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
711 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.