Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
tater74 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Driving into town in the dark last night. Loose dog running in traffic. Stopped and soon coaxed it into the car. Skinny, shaking, and scared. Beautiful young female GSH. Gash on her leg. Brought her home, fed her, doctored her wound. Son wants to keep her. Slept on my son's bed last night. Took her to the vet this morning. 12-18 months old. Not spayed, chipped but not registered.

Son wants to keep her. She gets along well with our schnauzer. Cat is an unknown.

How much effort should we put into finding prior owner?

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call the local shelters and let them know in case anyone inquires.
Good on you for taking care of the dog.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Called the local shelter. No reported lost dog of her description.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why doesn't the microchip identify the owner?

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Microchip was never registered

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO you should try harder to find original owner.I lost my two GWPs for three days and it sure was a difficult time for my wife and me. I looked at many sites plus talked to everyone in the area where they were lost. I would imagine the owner is doing same. All they have to do is bump into the information somewhere. I would contact animal shelter frequently.

Perhaps you can go back to area you found the dog and ask locals? Let the Police, Game and Fish know. Run a news paper ad. Place found posters on bulletin boards in stores laundermats etc in area. Put up found posters placed on poles etc in area where she was found. Someone raised and is bonded to that dog and visa versa. The dog and the original owner deserve to find each other again.

Craig's list has a listing lost dogs

https://petfbi.org/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz8ap6c7U5wIVjtdkCh2QkQpZEAAYAiAAEgJFj_D_BwE

Type in "found dog websites" there are tons of sites pertaining to this issue.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The fact that she is skinny could indicate that she has been on the road a long time so she might not be a local dog. When they are lost, they can go a long way.

Craigslist is probably your best bet.

In the meantime, feed her well but try to keep your son open to the possibility that the owner will be found.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Post pictures on facebook , if you don't have an account ( and I don't blame you if you don't ) get someone to post for you ,

More dogs are found these days on social media than any other way .

If you still don't hear anything then you've done your due diligence . Seeing as you have already contacted the local animal shelter .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I lost my pointer for a week and it tore me up. Someone picked her up and called my number on her tag so I got her back. I was really grateful.

The right thing to do would be to contact the animal shelter. If nobody contacts you then I'd keep her.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Vet called the local breeders, no one reported that any of their customers had lost a dog. We checked the shelters and the local lost dog websites.

The area we found her in is pretty rural. We were actually visiting for the weekend. My son lives there. He understands that we may find the owners.

They couldn't do the surgery on her leg today, so Monday there is another chance to get her claimed.

We figure a week to ten days before she gets to stay.

I don't understand why you would go to the expense of a microchip and then not register it

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is a gsh

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
German short hair

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Include GSP in your ad. GSP seems to be the more common nomenclature for German Shorthaired Pointer.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I think a good effort to find the owner should be made. It will work out the way it is supposed to. You can always get a GSP if you lose this one to the owner.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Even though the chip isn't registered they should be able to get the number and call the company. Tyen call the company tobfind out the veterinarian or breeder the chip was issued/sold too. Then go from there.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
We found the owner and reunited them.
An hour later he calls back and wants to know if we want the dog.
Bought her for $1,250. Spent $1,300 on training. Just walking away from her because she is a digger.
They have her brother as well. Both dogs have gotten out before.

She had been gone 3 days, but looked like she hadn't eaten well in weeks.

Now we have a free dog.

Last edited by tater74; 02/17/20.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
SCORE!

Looks like your son found a keeper. The digging was because she was bored.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
So what is a GSH? I lost apointerfor about three weeks years ago, pre chip. Had a Dunn's locate tag on her and the guy that found her called them three time's and they didn't know what he was talking about. Wife worked about 25 mi from him and he just happened to stop in the store and was telling her about the pointer he'd found, it was my Katie! My name and phone number is on all dog tags now.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I once knew a Brit named ‘Digger’.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tater74
I don't understand why you would go to the expense of a microchip and then not register it

There are a myriad of reasons one might not register the chip after paying for the dog to be chipped. One might be laziness or forgetfulness, another might be financial not knowing there is an additional cost for registration as well as periodic renewals. It also seems common that the vet or their staff does a poor job of explaining to the owner that the chip needs to be registered. That is an issue according to my former vet and one of the reasons my current vet includes the initial registration in the chipping price. He or one of his staff has the owner fill out the paper work prior to doing the chipping. That way the price, and need to register is taken care of and the added cost of renewing is learned.

As mentioned, the owners can still be tracked down even if the chip is not registered. It does taken more effort and time but it is considerably less than posting signs and calling local breeders, shelters, and pounds.

Last but not least, good job taking in this dog and the effort put in to find the owner. It is sad the original owner thinks so little of the dog but it was to your benefit. You will have your work cut out as the dog has learned to find freedom by digging under obstacles. That is a habit that probably won't be broken. I learned to sink hog panels under the kennel to stop the digger I had, that is until I replaced the gravel with cement. I also had to put a cover over the top of the kennel as that dog learned to climb the chain link fencing as it preferred to be running free.

Again, good for you for caring enough to help this dog out. Sounds like it really needs it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
682 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.