Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I grew up bucking hay, cleaning dairy cow stalls and worked a tree farm into my late teens...however, I now own my own little piece (20 acres) and am looking to purchase my first, and only smile tractor.

My current needs are moving some dirt for miscellaneous projects like shooting backstops, tilling a large garden-possibly some food plots in the future, brush hogging and lastly a fence post digger. I believe I can do most of that with one of the subcompact models (18-23HP). Where I'm torn is I have about 17 acres tied up in thick alpha. This coupled with wife and kids starting to talk about a horse, me- some beef, etc. has me thinking of baling. Ive got a fella that baled it last year and offered me hay for the arrangement. I have also had similar offers from others. So while I'm content to let others bail it and take some hay as payment, part of me says if your going to buy a tractor, get something that will do hay. A new fancy round baler and 45 HP tractor inst in the budget, but am thinking a slight upgrade from a subcompact to something in the 25-30HP range is do-able along with a used square baler (something like a New Holland 310, etc.) Ive looked at the Kubota L2501DT (25 HP, but 100 ci) and Mahindra 1626 Shuttle (26 HP). For me it seems you get a pretty good step-up in performance for a little more $ than the sub-compacts. So will one of these 25-26 HP models lay some square bales on my flat alfalfa field or wishful thinking? I seem to remember as a kid folks baling with an old ford 8n, and while not ideal, they did the job. However, I dont trust memory anymore smile

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Tom, I'm sure even in this basement forum you will get some advice. I'm not sure what to tell you.

I would not go too small, a live pump, and live power is a lot hander than the old 8, or 9 N.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear ya. Ive pretty much ruled out the sub-compacts for this reason. Always better to have more than what you currently need. The 25 HP seem the most bang for the buck. There is also the used route, but the 0% interest financing options currently available are very attractive.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can't do much if you need more horsepower in the future, but buy a new tractor with more hp...

Consider what your future needs are before you buy the first time.

Wouldn't consider much less than 45-50hp in any type baling situation, personally.

Go to Tractorbynet.com and ask some questions there, and perhaps get some better answers. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are you planning on mowing as well ? I don't think 50 hp is enough power to get it done.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Do you have a budget for this? Can you do some mechanic stuff or prefer to hire it out? Are you retired or have lots of time available?

Haying on the cheap still means a used sickle mower, a side delivery rake , a baler, something to haul the bales, and some leather gloves.

IME machinery always breaks down on the holiday/long weekend I had earmarked for a project-just saying!

If it's good hay, around here custom operators will mow, rake & bale for half the crop.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If I was going to invest time and $ in getting a old NH baler running well, then yes I would be mowing via sickle and raking with side delivery. No sense piece medaling it out. Retrieval would be done via pick-up and trailer, but hey...I’ve got 3 kids that need to experience something better than TV and phones 😁

I worked in a diesel shop as a teen and currently do all my own maint on all my stuff. For a living I work on complicated stuff which circles back to Cowdoc’s question; work full time, can be demanding with travel, but 4-10’s, so 3 day weekends. I like to tinker, but also like to hunt/fish/shoot.

Budget is the part I have a hard time zeroing in on. I’m a pretty practical guy, so budget has to be justified. I don’t really need any of this stuff, it’s for hobby farming, which is why I refuse to go big. In all honesty, a used yanmar or Kubota in the $5-7K range would probably suite my needs if I keep having others harvest the hay. It’s just that if Im going to pay $15K for a sub-compact, it seems the next step up to something 25 HP for another 2K seems like a good idea.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're mowing the hay, at the very least, you'll need a sickle bar...…..which is heavy. PTO horsepower is one consideration. Tractor weight is another. We have a Kubota B2930 on the tree farm. That's more horsepower than an old John Deere A. But no weight to handle big implements. Your baler is going to be heavy, too. If your fields are all level...………. But if you have slopes, you need tractor weight to keep you out of sticky situations.

We did a little haying on level and rolling terrains. Our IH-584 did well. 60 horsepower and around 6000 lbs on the hoof.

I am a huge fan of Orange. We also have, on the tree farm, a Kubota MX-5000 4WD. 52 horsepower an 3500 lbs + the 500 hanging on the front. Will handle any baling job on any reasonable (and most any UNreaonable) terrain you wanna work it on. It doesn't have a lot of frills or creature comforts. Nice used ones with good hours can be had with little pain.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Kubota I’m looking at is 2600lb. I’m told it’s a beefier tractor (same frame as 3000 series) but with motor detuned to pass EPA standards without the Diesel add-ons. Supposedly generous torque, though not sure how this helps on the PTO, good power in the low RPMs...I sound like a sales brochure which means I’m probably over thinking things and won’t ever do hay, just need to get a dude doing things on a tractor for fun tractor.

FWIW- Hay field is flat as a bored and drains well, small pond on it. Could drive a wheel rear drive car across it.

Also my neighbor is in the same boat, has some gear, though not ideal. Between the both of us we may be able to accomplish something.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TomM1
It’s just that if Im going to pay $15K for a sub-compact, it seems the next step up to something 25 HP for another 2K seems like a good idea.

Maybe it's just me... But don't consider 25hp as a step up. Hell, my lawn mower is 25hp... wink

For the same money, you could find a cream puff used tractor with enough HP to blow your mind compared to a 25hp. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It’s just that if Im going to pay $15K for a sub-compact, it seems the next step up to something 25 HP for another 2K seems like a good idea.

Maybe it's just me... But don't consider 25hp as a step up. Hell, my lawn mower is 25hp... wink

For the same money, you could find a cream puff used tractor with enough HP to blow your mind compared to a 25hp. smile

Barry's right. We have a 22HP sub-compact JD, with mower deck and loader. We've used it for a little bit of everything......pulling a 4 foot rotary tiller in the garden, digging postholes, grading the drive, as well as mowing and using the loader. The bottom line is that while it will do most jobs, it's not really suited to do them, and it can be hard on the tractor. After a few years of figuring that out, I bought a 45HP compact, a NH TC45A, and have never looked back.

You, and only you, know what you can afford, and know what your plans are. You can do small jobs with a bigger tractor, but not bigger jobs with a small tractor. Trying to do work that is heavier than what a tractor is designed for will either get you hurt, or your tractor damaged. It's always better to go larger than what you think you need.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I hear you guys and some good points. I think I’m getting sucked into the aspect of the L2501 being built on a bigger frame, 100 ci engine, but detuned to 25 HP. I guess in the end it’s still a 25 HP tractor, even though it appears meatier.

Link to L2501

Going to keep cruising the used ads until I can make up my mind.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hear you guys and some good points. I think I’m getting sucked into the aspect of the L2501 being built on a bigger frame, 100 ci engine, but detuned to 25 HP. I guess in the end it’s still a 25 HP tractor, even though it appears meatier.

Link to L2501

Going to keep cruising the used ads until I can make up my mind.

Meaty isn't bad at all.

Three things a tractor has to have in order to operate well:

1) Horsepower

2) Weight

3) Traction

The smaller 4x4 tractors make up for some of their other shortcomings with the 4x4 feature.

I had my 45hp 4x4 break the linkage that engages the front wheels. Before I got it repaired, I was shocked at how little I could do with it. Especially with the loader... it needed that 4x4 function badly. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Again a good dealer close by is important.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

posted before....my 2010 Kioti CK 35....4x4.....shuttle gear driven......bought new in 2010

Having only 450 hrs to date.....been a good trouble free machine.......

Perfect machine for around my 23 acre property......IIRC it was $17K new back then with FEL

along with 2 other non PTO impliments...works for me.......... grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have the 2501 Kubota. It is rated at17 HP,but tuned to 25 they tell me. If you are talking haying,then step up to the next size .I think it is 37HP. Not sure. You will probably need hydraulics to the rear as well as the front. Nice thing about the 37 HP,you can get the enclosed cab for it.The2501 you can't. I opted fro Ag tires and std transmission .I never liked the hydro static transmissions. If you get the industrial tires,you can't get a set of chains on them.I had the dealer set the wheels out as far as possible. It seems squirrely wanting to turn over with them in close.

I prefer the Kubota front Quick Disconnect because they will use any Universal skid steer implement which you can usually pick p cheaper than John Deere stuff.

Mine will use 5 ft brush hog, a 5 ft snow blower ,plow ,disc. I have 3 ft hay spears and can easily move a 3x3x8 ft , 800 pound hay bale,but not a 3x4.I have to keep the rear blade on the back with an extra 100 pounds on it to handle the 3x3's. .It would probably pick up the3 x4's,but I would needed a lot more weight on the rear.

If you have someone to do custom haying, I'd look there instead of buying your own equipment. For that small plot,you can tie up a lot of money in mowers,rakes balers etc. Of course the bigger you go, the less you can get around in small places.

I will also add that, at least around here,every John Deere dealer will screw you every chance they get. Everything they sell is MSRP, even the big dealers way out in farm country. The Kubota dealer in Colorado Springs is the same way. Acts like he is doing you a favor, I traveled 60 miles and saved about $4000 by going out east of Pueblo. La Junta was even better. Get away from the dealers that sell to small hobby farmers

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/18/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
If you have someone to do custom haying, I'd look there instead of buying your own equipment. For that small plot,you can tie up a lot of money in mowers,rakes balers etc. Of course the bigger you go, the less you can get around in small places.

Yep, that’s where I’ve arrived, too much $ to harvest 17 acres of hay. I’d rather have a new fishing boat. I’ve pretty much dismissed the making hay option. Looking for something to build a shooting berm, till the garden and food plots, drill fence post holes. Thinking used, I can fix most stuff. If it doesn’t run one weekend, not the end of the world, my lively-hood doesn’t depend upon it.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 2501 will do you then unless you want an enclosed cab. Drilling post holes might be a problem because you won't have any downward pressure. OK for soft ground probably. That is another instance where you might want to rent a skid steer with one on the front. I looked around a lot and with the price of used ones, I could not justify buying used vs new. New 2501 with bucket and blade will probably be in the $18K range if the dealer will want to really sell one.

BTW, someone mentioned their lawn mower is 20 hp so the 25HP is no step up. My lawn mower is 20 hp and my 2501is only 25h.There is no comparison.I have 8 fwd gears and 4 reverse

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Again a good dealer close by is important.

Very true. Regardless of color.

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The 2501 will do you then unless you want an enclosed cab. Drilling post holes might be a problem because you won't have any downward pressure. OK for soft ground probably. That is another instance where you might want to rent a skid steer with one on the front. I looked around a lot and with the price of used ones, I could not justify buying used vs new. New 2501 with bucket and blade will probably be in the $18K range if the dealer will want to really sell one.

BTW, someone mentioned their lawn mower is 20 hp so the 25HP is no step up. My lawn mower is 20 hp and my 2501is only 25h.There is no comparison.I have 8 fwd gears and 4 reverse

That’s what I am seeing here. 5 year old ones are 15,500, new is 17,500 with a warranty. No brained if I go that route.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.