Print Thread
Hop To
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Currently shopping to update my boat... at my age, this will more than likely be my last boat.

First, I am shopping for a 14-16 foot tiller fishing boat... Dose a bank put a lien on such a small boat ? and if so, how dose a guy know when he buys a boat that a bank doesn't already have a claim of a lien on it, and if it has a title ???

Second, and most important. For a few years, a lot of boat manufactures used treated wood in the transom where the motor bolts on. The chemicals in the treated wood dose not play nice with aluminum and cause bad chemical oxidation that eats the aluminum away in short order. Dose anyone know what years that these infected boats were manufactured ?? Lund, Alumacraft, Smokercraft, and a lot of others used that treaded wood in the manufacture of the transom and it is very expensive to get that fixed.

All comments and opinions welcome

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can’t help with your questions other than to wish you luck and suggest you buy a boat bigger than you think you need.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had an 86 SmokerCraft 16 Big Fisherman and the transom was fine. Floor rotted to h%ll but no corrosion.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The bank will hold the title of any boat that’s being financed. If you pay in full, you should be lien free. I currently have a 2015 Lund Fury XL 1625 tiller with a Mercury 4-stroke 40hp. I know all Lunds other than the jon boats have composite transoms as of 2017 or 2018.

I bought the Fury XL because its really stable, came with a complete vinyl interior, and has a pretty open layout. I really wanted an Alaskan 1600, but got a great deal on the Fury. After having it for a few years, I’m happy I went with the Fury. It has a lot more storage. I have a MinnKota Terrova 80# bow mount trolling motor. Its a 24v battery system and will run for several days on one charge. Mine also has i-pilot, which allows me to control the boat with a remote from the helm.

One thing I really regret is going cheap and not getting an outboard with power trim. Its a real pain in the azz to lift the motor manually. I’d also opt for the 50hp if I could do it again.

If you want something more basic, the Lund SSV 16 is a nice boat. Since they come as a bare boat, you have more motor choices. I’d have gone with a Yamaha.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikieb
Currently shopping to update my boat...I am shopping for a 14-16 foot tiller fishing boat...

Don't go into debt for recreational equipment. Instead, buy a used boat you can afford. Pay cash and you needn't be concerned about bank liens.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pal
Currently shopping to update my boat...I am shopping for a 14-16 foot tiller fishing boat...

Don't go into debt for recreational equipment. Instead, buy a used boat you can afford. Pay cash and you needn't be concerned about bank liens.

Yes, you are right. And, Ya... I am paying cash. I don't want to buy a boat and have it for 5-6 months and have an Attorney for a bank to call and tell me they want their boat... I am kinda out of touch with how other people buy their boats... they get loans for them somehow...

I really like that Lund Fury XL... I just missed a used one near me for 10.5K... that was a smoking deal.

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal

He is asking how to tell if the used boat he is about to purchase has a lien on it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The hull ID and trailer plates will tell the tale when you go to register it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 257 mag, 007FJ, 30 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,000 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.