Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Couesdeer
I have never eaten moose. That being said, the best game meat I have ever eaten was a yearling bison. Every pronghorn that I have tried has been excellent too.
My favorite small game has to be squirrel (perhaps because I don't get an opportunity to hunt them as often as quail/dove /rabbit).

Squirrel are better than quail, dove or rabbit. Sandhill crane are pretty darn good.
I like doe whitetails better than steak. It's getting hard to find even prime steak that really has good flavor.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/why-i-eat-squirrel-really

I have had squirrel twice and neither time did I enjoy it. I dont know if it was just a poor tasting sub-species of your local squirrels or if its was a matter of our squirrels diets. Either way, I feel like I am missing out. There is alot of people on this forum that seem to really like the little critters. Somebody send me some good squirrel and I will trade some good porcupine.

Hahaha. No thanks. I would send some but the fox squirrels and cat (grey) squirrels were scarce in E Texas where I hunt the last two years.

Hit me up next fall.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/17/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by las
A question with no "right" answer.

Individual tastes differ.
Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

Some personal opinion/comments that may or may not be pertinent:

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )

I hear you las. Good stuff. The flip side is I've never ran across anybody who sampled Axis meat who said it was anything other than fantastic. There will likely be some pop up now though. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've had whitetail, caribou, elk, moose, mule deer, bear, antelope and bison here in North America. Several different species of antelope, wildebeest, warthog and zebra in Africa. My favorite was zebra loin cooked rare over a wood fire; but some of that could have been the tafel lager, the campfire and the overall experience. For North America, I put moose on top. So does my son. One daughter prefers whitetail, the other caribou. Wife prefers beef. It's all made out of meat, so it's all good.......as long as it isn't overcooked.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
By all means, do the Newfoundland hunt. Been there twice. Beautiful country, great people and great hunting. Consider a bear tag if interested. Pretty inexpensive add on to a moose hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by moosemike
It's up there but I like Pronghorn better.

Nothing beats grass-fed pronghorn. Never had any that fed on mostly sage.

Yup, only have experience with 3 bucks in NE WY. All three died quickly and were cooled reasonably fast. Like you said, nothing at all beats having to eat them. They were rank and nasty to the max.
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Pussy. The ultimate wild game!!!

We're talking seafood?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JGRaider: My Hunting career/interest has led me to enjoy all manner of "wild game" and I'll list'em in my order of enjoyment preference!

#1 = Whitetailed Deer (grain fed and harvested before the rut)
#2 = Elk (again harvested before the rut)
#3 = Mule Deer (grain fed before the rut)
#4 = Moose (avoid older bulls in this ranking)
#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#6 = Antelope (cared for properly and cleanly kill't)
#7 = Mt. Goat
#8 = Bear (Bear roast with onions, carrots and potatoes is really good!)
#9 = Cougar
#10 = Wild Turkey (can't figure out a "good" way to prepare these?)
#11 = Canada Goose (made into sausage!)

Sadly I have not partaken much at all of Bighorn Sheep - I hear their meat is rather palatable.

We are thawing out some filet mignon of Whitetailed Deer for dinner tonight!
I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by fester
JGRaider: My Hunting career/interest has led me to enjoy all manner of "wild game" and I'll list'em in my order of enjoyment preference!

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

Sadly I have not partaken much at all of Bighorn Sheep - I hear their meat is rather palatable.

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

#11= yuck

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
A question with no "right" answer.

Individual tastes differ.
Individual animals within the same species differ. I offer my experience with 20+ moose and about 75 caribou.

What it has been eating, what it has been doing, perhaps (bear on the salmon streams vs blueberry slopes.... Animals stressed from running vs those killed unaware, etc.)

Chalk in how it is killed, temperatures, how it is taken care of, processed, and cooked.

Not all of us (few in fact) have sampled all the game meat availble. So all opinions are valid.

In my own case, from a very general perspective, I rank it wild sheep, musk ox, caribou, moose, then deer and pronghorn, elk, bear.

The very best caribou I have eaten will outrank all the others I mentioned on the individual meal taste test

Some personal opinion/comments that may or may not be pertinent:

If you have had bad caribou, it was probably a bull in rut, or not properly taken care of.

I don't believe I have ever seen any "marbeled" moose meat from the 20 something I have eaten.

Musk ox is marbeled, and not that different from beef, (the several roasts I have eaten, killed by a friend, were excellent). If you had bad musk oxen, see above caribou sentence. Limited sample to be sure, but from 3 different animals. And not really choice cuts. (We aren't that good of friends it appears...:) )

Good post with a couple thoughts... in the last four years alone I have had a part in butchering of over 20 bull moose and since i killed my first bull in '65 have had a part in a whole bunch of them. I have never seen even the first indication of marbling and have seen some ridiculously fat moose.

I agree totally on carbon at its best being as good as it comes, even from late winter animals.

The biggest problem with musk oxen is the fact if freezes almost immediately after expiring. It is hard to slow that down. Frozen solid it does not ever age properly and is incredibly chewy. Had some from a summer cow and it was awesome.

Since you mentioned sheep... I think they get a lot of credit for the mystique of being sheep. In virtually all blind tests I have done with sheep they seldom make the top two and carbon is often the meat picked when folks are certain they are eating sheep.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
teach your voice thingy what caribou is....
smile

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Moose is the best I have had followed by antelope and then elk.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Carbon must be well done.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

Another simple option. Just cut the breasts in strips and fry like chicken thumbs. The running gear and wings we reserve for either soup with wild rice or noodle soup. Legs are tough as woodpecker lips is you don't simmer them long enough. I just put the legs, thighs, and wings in a pot with some fresh garlic and bay leaf and simmer it bout all day adding water as needed. That's the stock for either the wild rice or noodle version. Got the recipes somewhere around here.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Totally and completely wrong.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Since i read that as caribou, rather than carbon, you might be right. But caribou is not good overcooked. It dries out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootem

#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#7 = Mt. Goat
#9 = Cougar

I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

Another simple option. Just cut the breasts in strips and fry like chicken thumbs. The running gear and wings we reserve for either soup with wild rice or noodle soup. Legs are tough as woodpecker lips is you don't simmer them long enough. I just put the legs, thighs, and wings in a pot with some fresh garlic and bay leaf and simmer it bout all day adding water as needed. That's the stock for either the wild rice or noodle version. Got the recipes somewhere around here.

My best results with wild turkeys has been flouring breast chunks and frying for a while. Then finishing off in a roaster or crock pot.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I smoked a wild turkey breast. There wasn’t any left after the family got into it...

And I love me some elk steaks cooked in an iron skillet with some bacon grease.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 02/17/20.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Agree! I prefer my carbon in the C-12 state.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My family was given a large moose roast right before Thanksgiving one year, the women in the family were not game meat eaters normally. So in addition to the moose roast they prepared a small turkey just in case some did not care for the moose. Every bit of the moose roast got eaten at Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey got make into sandwiches the next day. I like elk the very best followed by moose, whitetail, antelope and mule deer. I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My family was given a large moose roast right before Thanksgiving one year, the women in the family were not game meat eaters normally. So in addition to the moose roast they prepared a small turkey just in case some did not care for the moose. Every bit of the moose roast got eaten at Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey got make into sandwiches the next day. I like elk the very best followed by moose, whitetail, antelope and mule deer. I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

We eat a bunch of bears regularly... cannot imagine comparing black bear to pork.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
133 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.