Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have removed the finish from a claro walnut gunstock with intentions to refinish the stock. The stripper did a nice job with the everything, but the stain. Some of the stain was removed, but much of it remains and looks splotchy. Is there a product I can use to remove the stain? Would I be better off not removing the stain and trying the match the stain and cover those areas?

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Picture?

DF

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I took the stock to a local gunsmith and he told me I would need to sand it out. He said if I try to stain to cover it I would create light and dark spots in the wood and not look any better.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Any idea what the stain is ?

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not sure the type, but it has a reddish color to it.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by barm
I took the stock to a local gunsmith and he told me I would need to sand it out. He said if I try to stain to cover it I would create light and dark spots in the wood and not look any better.

Please, do NOT listen to him! Sanding out the stain will ruin the surface and create problems.

You can use two-part wood bleach to remove the color. It will lighten everything, but you can then restrain to whatever color you like. I prefer Formby's brand for ease of use.

No sanding!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A paper towel soaked with regular old peroxide kept on the spot until dry will also remove stains.
If it's dog pizz on a wood floor, it might take 3 or 4 applications.
A rifle stock would maybe take less.
Just DONT sand it.

Last edited by WTF; 02/15/20.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Plain old household laundry bleach on a sponge will remove the stain. Wear heavy duty rubber gloves! Rinse and let it dry thoroughly and re-stain the entire stock to any color you like.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Plain old household laundry bleach on a sponge will remove the stain. Wear heavy duty rubber gloves! Rinse and let it dry thoroughly and re-stain the entire stock to any color you like.
Jerry

Bleach does bad things structurally to wood. Bad plan to used it that way.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You can use the gel type hydrogen peroxide used for hair products to remove the stain. The wood will be funky afterward but can be sanded out. The sanding will be less than if you tried to remove the finish with sanding alone. If not too bad a scuff sanding and over stain may do the trick. I like to use scrapers and this could be enough to remove the worst of it.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tejano
You can use the gel type hydrogen peroxide used for hair products to remove the stain. The wood will be funky afterward but can be sanded out. The sanding will be less than if you tried to remove the finish with sanding alone. If not too bad a scuff sanding and over stain may do the trick. I like to use scrapers and this could be enough to remove the worst of it.

Sorry, but a huge face palm is in order...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 46 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.