Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Carbon must be well done.

Totally and completely wrong.

Agree! I prefer my carbon in the C-12 state.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've eaten a lot of wild game, but my favorite by a long shot is dove, battered and deep fried for one minute, then covered in my special recipe of mushroom gravy and simmered real low for about 35 or 40 minutes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My family was given a large moose roast right before Thanksgiving one year, the women in the family were not game meat eaters normally. So in addition to the moose roast they prepared a small turkey just in case some did not care for the moose. Every bit of the moose roast got eaten at Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey got make into sandwiches the next day. I like elk the very best followed by moose, whitetail, antelope and mule deer. I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

What in the hell kind of pork roast are you eating? Bear taste nothing like pork! I have eaten a lot of bear from a wide range of locations. Never a single one tasted remotely like pork.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A small group of us were butchering a bear. Mostly young men about 20. I stopped cutting and started cooking pepper steak with the back straps. Both sides and then the t-loins disappeared as those boys ate. It was fun to watch! They probably averaged 3 pounds apiece! Some years later they still talk about that meal as a truly great one!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
My family was given a large moose roast right before Thanksgiving one year, the women in the family were not game meat eaters normally. So in addition to the moose roast they prepared a small turkey just in case some did not care for the moose. Every bit of the moose roast got eaten at Thanksgiving dinner and the turkey got make into sandwiches the next day. I like elk the very best followed by moose, whitetail, antelope and mule deer. I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

I've also enjoyed black bear too, mostly prepared as roasts, guests thought it good too comparing it to a good pork roast.

What in the hell kind of pork roast are you eating? Bear taste nothing like pork! I have eaten a lot of bear from a wide range of locations. Never a single one tasted remotely like pork.

My thoughts exactly.

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In 2008 I hunted outside of Toad River BC and we had a tasting of tenderloin, mountain goat, Stone sheep, moose and elk and that is how the six of us rated them. I will give it all a try coming fall.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
In 2008 I hunted outside of Toad River BC and we had a tasting of tenderloin, mountain goat, Stone sheep, moose and elk and that is how the six of us rated them. I will give it all a try coming fall.

Mountain goat can be mighty good.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Yes, I forgot goat, but it is right up near the top. Hey, that might be a pun!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Whoosh...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Shootem & Sitka deer: Thank you both for your suggestions - notes taken and again appreciated very much.
The Whitetail filet mignon steaks the VarmintWife and I had the other night were prepared "sheep-herder" style (dusted heavily in flour with appropriate salt and pepper then fried in a hot frying pan with butter and virgin olive oil just a couple minutes on each side served with fried potatoes and cottage cheese!) and it was "glorious"!
Every fall I hold a debate with myself over my buying "Whitetail doe tags" of which I think Hunters can purchase 6 or so here in SW Montana as I absolutely LOVE Whitetail steak!
And every fall (for 50+ years now!) I refuse to buy said "Whitetail doe tags" then every spring or summer (for 50+ years now!) when I run out of Deer meat I curse myself for not bagging one or two Whitetail Deer for the freezer and enjoyment throughout the year.
To compound the brevity in my enjoying my own Deer meat the VarmintChildren also LOVE wild game and Deer and Elk meat disappears from my freezers whenever they come, from out of state now, to visit.
When harvested correctly and cared for properly then prepared correctly Whitetail venison is simply SUPERB!
Mouth watering, again already.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Whoosh...

What's that roar?!
wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by fester
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JGRaider: My Hunting career/interest has led me to enjoy all manner of "wild game" and I'll list'em in my order of enjoyment preference!

#1 = Whitetailed Deer (grain fed and harvested before the rut)
#2 = Elk (again harvested before the rut)
#3 = Mule Deer (grain fed before the rut)
#4 = Moose (avoid older bulls in this ranking)
#5 = Blacktailed Deer
#6 = Antelope (cared for properly and cleanly kill't)
#7 = Mt. Goat
#8 = Bear (Bear roast with onions, carrots and potatoes is really good!)
#9 = Cougar
#10 = Wild Turkey (can't figure out a "good" way to prepare these?)
#11 = Canada Goose (made into sausage!)

Sadly I have not partaken much at all of Bighorn Sheep - I hear their meat is rather palatable.

We are thawing out some filet mignon of Whitetailed Deer for dinner tonight!
I can't wait.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Deep fry in peanut oil

Another simple option. Just cut the breasts in strips and fry like chicken thumbs. The running gear and wings we reserve for either soup with wild rice or noodle soup. Legs are tough as woodpecker lips is you don't simmer them long enough. I just put the legs, thighs, and wings in a pot with some fresh garlic and bay leaf and simmer it bout all day adding water as needed. That's the stock for either the wild rice or noodle version. Got the recipes somewhere around here.

My best results with wild turkeys has been flouring breast chunks and frying for a while. Then finishing off in a roaster or crock pot.

I always just breast wild turkeys out and cook the breasts in a cooking bag with a little butter. I can't tell the difference between turkey I've killed and store bought.

Smoking turkey is probably the best way I've ever had it but I've never had wild turkey smoked, would have to think it'd be great.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tenn turkeys taste like crawfish mud. Or at least the ones here that dig seeds out of the cow patties.

I wish butter would take away their rank

Woogie boogie, mfers !!!! laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I had Moose stew with cornbread and sweet onions once, damn good it was, but, Kudu and Eland loin on an open fire in an African bush camp has no competition imho.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
Tenn turkeys taste like crawfish mud. Or at least the ones here that dig seeds out of the cow patties.

I wish butter would take away their rank

Woogie boogie, mfers !!!! laugh

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That donkey's going to run up and bite your kneecap off! grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I want to lasso that fugger

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by slumlord
I want to lasso that fugger

I've had a rope on those little bassturds, STOUT as hell with granny LOW pullin power, shat I was tired!

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Turkey breast is pretty good cooked with mesquite wood.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Moose steaks got my daughter to start eating wild game !

Just saying.

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
I haven't had moose, but I've had axis, kudu, Dall sheep and elk and I guess the best one was kudu. I was really surprised at how good it was.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,824
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.