Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Might have an opportunity to travel to Dagestan for a couple weeks.

My son has been invited over and I am looking for anyone with some direct experience.

I know some basics. Am trying to read up as I can. Thought I'd reach out here.

Montana MOFO
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds fun!

[Linked Image from gatestoneinstitute.org]
[Linked Image from cdn-prod.opendemocracy.net]

"North Caucasus (including Chechnya and Mount Elbrus) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Terrorist attacks and risk of civil unrest continue throughout the North Caucasus region including in Chechnya, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. Local gangs have kidnapped U.S. citizens and other foreigners for ransom. There have been credible reports of arrest, torture, and extrajudicial killing of LGBTI persons in Chechnya allegedly conducted by Chechen regional authorities.

Do not attempt to climb Mount Elbrus, as travelers must pass close to volatile and insecure areas of the North Caucasus region.

The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in the North Caucasus region, including Mount Elbrus, as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling to the region."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dagestan – Travel guide at Wikivoyage
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Dagestan
WARNING: Travel to Dagestan is strongly discouraged, due to high criminal activity, frequent bombings, and general lawlessness and crime. Chechen terrorists often target Russians in Dagestan in bombings and other terrorist acts. Salafist extremists (largely foreign) have engaged in violent conflict against native, moderate Sufi groups, in pursuit of the establishment of Sharia law.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Snyper
Dagestan – Sufi groups in pursuit of the establishment of Sharia law.

says it all!

Ted
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Watch “the naked prey” and “apocalypto” before you go.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Goosey
Sounds fun!

[Linked Image from gatestoneinstitute.org]
[Linked Image from cdn-prod.opendemocracy.net]

"North Caucasus (including Chechnya and Mount Elbrus) – Level 4: Do Not Travel

Terrorist attacks and risk of civil unrest continue throughout the North Caucasus region including in Chechnya, North Ossetia, Ingushetia, Dagestan, Stavropol, Karachayevo-Cherkessiya, and Kabardino-Balkariya. Local gangs have kidnapped U.S. citizens and other foreigners for ransom. There have been credible reports of arrest, torture, and extrajudicial killing of LGBTI persons in Chechnya allegedly conducted by Chechen regional authorities.

Do not attempt to climb Mount Elbrus, as travelers must pass close to volatile and insecure areas of the North Caucasus region.

The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens traveling in the North Caucasus region, including Mount Elbrus, as U.S. government employees are prohibited from traveling to the region."

That's OK, I think Tarkio likes pussy so he's safe...........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Wouldn't go to ANY 'stan' except for have too work, never for pleasure.

Trump Won!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No desire to go there!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Might have an opportunity to travel to Dagestan for a couple weeks.

My son has been invited over and I am looking for anyone with some direct experience.

I know some basics. Am trying to read up as I can. Thought I'd reach out here.

Anyone who invites you there is not your friend.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No. but close. Whatever the offer, it isn't worth it.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

Been to some of the Stans in the 1990s for work. Somewhat safe then. Would not go these days, PERIOD.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
There is a guy on the internet who travels all around the planet. Spends a lot of time in the former Soviet republic areas and what not.

He kind of makes a living challenging preconceived notions of places. Places supposed to be terrible.

He went to Dagestan. Found the locals to be friendly and hospitable. The YouTube channel is called Bald and Bankrupt.

Personally, I would give it a pass, but I worry too much!

Wasn't Ed in the 'stans recently?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to have a friend that ran ops for a friendly regime. She used to say things like "I've been invited to look at some farm property in New York." That was her code for "I'm flying out of JFK next week-- final destination is classified." Within a week or two there'd be a story on the front page of the NYT. You had to read between the lines, but you knew it was her and her group that were responsible. A week or so later she'd come back with her arm in a cast or worse. While I knew her, she caught a round of 9mm in the left tit. She did a few more of these jobs and then hung it up. Some people go looking for trouble.

I also had another buddy who thought it would be a great idea to attend a business meeting in Cairo just before the Arab Spring broke out. He got home with just a broken arm and a lung-fuc% from inhaling tear gas. Our military had to rescue him-- flew him out to Ramstein if I remember. He called me from Texas to tell me he was transferring to a civillian carrier for the last leg and wanted me to get him home from CVG. Sometimes it is being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I also had a friend that used to travel the globe as a free-lance journalist. He accidentally ran afoul of some folks in Ireland that mistook him for IRA-- he was wearing a Candian field jacket and a black beret (the uniform of a highly violent faction at the time). The only thing that saved him in Mexico was that he raised an eyebrow at a local warlord; the locals decided he must have the Evil Eye and wouldn't touch him. However, he did get a visit from a crooked cop that wanted to know his meaning. He once got picked up on the Mall in DC for "impersonating a Secret Service Agent." The offense was caused by wearing a yellow map pin in his lapel. That was the sign that day. It was also the universal sign of American Mensa. He was on his way to a meeting. They had to call Mensa HQ in NYC to confirm it before they'd let him loose. Sometimes it's the little things that get you.

. . . and this does not even touch on the my buddy who ended up at Gitmo during the Cuban Missle Crisis. We'll save that one for later.

A trip to Dagestan? That sounds like a great invitation to make the front page of the NYT. With all those warnings, they're probably running low on Western hostages. Have fun.

Last edited by shaman; 02/18/20.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like no place for Americans.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd love to see the Caucasus someday. If you end up going Tarkio post up some pics and a write up please!

MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by gunner500

Been to some of the Stans in the 1990s for work. Somewhat safe then. Would not go these days, PERIOD.

Yep, mid 80's to mid 2000's here, crapholes!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by old_willys

says it all!

What it said was the Salafists were attacking the Sufis in order to establish Sharia Law.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bowmanh

says it all!

What it said was the Salafists were attacking the Sufis in order to establish Sharia Law.

They're all the same..................right? wink wink

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if the food in Dagastan is as good as Armenian?

I love Armenian food.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by bowmanh

says it all!

They're all the same..................right? wink wink

Geno

Salafists are Islamic fundamentalists and are pretty different from Sufis who are seen by Salafists as a corruption of Islam. Sufis are not on the Sharia Law bandwagon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
266 members (1minute, 45_100, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 41 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.