Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Boy Scouts are bankrupt after sex abuse lawsuit barrage
By DAVID CRARY AP National Writer Feb 17, 2020

Barraged by hundreds of sex-abuse lawsuits, the Boy Scouts of America filed for bankruptcy protection Tuesday in hopes of working out a potentially mammoth victim compensation plan that will allow the hallowed, 110-year-old organization to carry on.

The Chapter 11 filing in federal bankruptcy court in Wilmington, Delaware, sets in motion what could be one of the biggest, most complex bankruptcies ever seen. Scores of lawyers are seeking settlements on behalf of several thousand men who say they were molested as scouts by scoutmasters or other leaders decades ago but are only now eligible to sue because of recent changes in their states' statute-of-limitations laws.

By going to bankruptcy court, the Scouts can put those lawsuits on hold for now. But ultimately they could be forced to sell off some of their vast property holdings, including campgrounds and hiking trails, to raise money for a compensation fund that could surpass a billion dollars.

"Scouting programs will continue throughout this process and for many years to come," said Evan Roberts, a spokesman for the Scouts. "Local councils are not filing for bankruptcy because they are legally separate and distinct organizations.""

The Boy Scouts are just the latest major American institution to face a heavy price over sexual abuse. Roman Catholic dioceses across the country and schools such as Penn State and Michigan State have paid out hundreds of millions of dollars in recent years.

The bankruptcy represents a painful turn for an organization that has been a pillar of American civic life for generations and a training ground for future leaders. Achieving the rank of Eagle Scout has long been a proud accomplishment that politicians, business leaders, astronauts and others put on their resumes and in their official biographies.

The Boy Scouts' finances have been strained in recent years by declining membership and sex-abuse settlements.

The number of youths taking part in scouting has dropped below 2 million, down from more than 4 million in peak years of the 1970s. The organization has tried to counter the decline by admitting girls, but its membership rolls took a big hit Jan. 1 when The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — for decades a major sponsor of Boy Scout units — cut ties and withdrew more than 400,000 scouts in favor of programs of its own.

The financial outlook had worsened last year after New York, Arizona, New Jersey and California passed laws making it easier for victims of long-ago abuse to file claims. Teams of lawyers across the U.S. have been signing up clients by the hundreds to sue the Boy Scouts.

Most of the newly surfacing cases date to the 1960s, '70s and '80s; the organization says there were only five known abuse victims in 2018. The Boy Scouts credit the change to an array of prevention policies adopted since the mid-1980s, including mandatory criminal background checks and abuse-prevention training for all staff and volunteers, and a rule that two or more adult leaders be present during all activities.

In many ways, the crisis parallels the one facing the Catholic Church in the U.S. Both institutions boast of major progress over recent decades in combating abuse. whether by priests or scout leaders, but both face many lawsuits alleging negligence and cover-ups, mostly decades ago.

Among the matters to be addressed in bankruptcy court: the fate of the Boy Scouts' assets; the extent to which the organization's insurance will help cover compensation; and whether assets of the Scouts' more than 260 local councils will be added to the fund.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A great organization ruined.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

Yep.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another perv magnet organization. Not enough oversight and governance for groups where parents feel safe to dump their young boys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I question the allegation that tens of thousands of kids were molested. Sounds like lawyers stacking the deck.

Sam......

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I question the allegation that tens of thousands of kids were molested. Sounds like lawyers stacking the deck.

Agreed

μολὼν λαβέ
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ho-mos are a huge cost to humanity.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A wet dream come true for the communist left.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Yup, thanks to the likes of folks like Goosey and poor decisions of upper management. Faags and liberals ruin everything they touch.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Political correctness is poison.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Indeed.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
For submitting to cuckatude I guess they reap what they allowed to grow.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That was my first thought. However, I don't know how long the abuse has been going on, so maybe it wasn't such a great organization.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good.............I hope they disband and have to tell the world that everything was going good until the queers took over.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Good.............I hope they disband and have to tell the world that everything was going good until the queers took over.

pfaggotry kills good people and organizations that have flourished for centuries, pfaggotry is protected because they want to kill us [conservative valued folk] too.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They were ruined when it wasn't the "boy" scouts anymore. Every eagle scout I knew stopped giving them money. It's sad.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Maybe this is good. Under the protection of Chapter 11, maybe they can kick out the homo leaders that were foisted upon them by that dumbass former CEO of Exxon and tell the Libs to GFY.

The Boy Scouts are a good organization and deserve to carry on. The Left tries to ruin everything decent in America.

A word from your 'sponsor"-- if you or any decent American is not registered to vote, go to www.vote.gov right now. And then make sure you vote. About 50% of conservatives don't. If we fail to vote, we are just supporting the Left.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by JamesJr
"Where's John....anybody seen John!"

pfaggotry kills good people and organizations that have flourished for centuries, pfaggotry is protected because they want to kill us [conservative valued folk] too.

O.B.Wallace
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Maybe this is good. Under the protection of Chapter 11, maybe they can kick out the homo leaders that were foisted upon them by that dumbass former CEO of Exxon and tell the Libs to GFY.

The Boy Scouts are a good organization and deserve to carry on. The Left tries to ruin everything decent in America.

A word from your 'sponsor"-- if you or any decent American is not registered to vote, go to www.vote.gov right now. And then make sure you vote. About 50% of conservatives don't. If we fail to vote, we are just supporting the Left.

Good points, all. I second the idea on registering to vote and doing so. It'll drive the left batty.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kelbro
Another perv magnet organization. Not enough oversight and governance for groups where parents feel safe to dump their young boys.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I'm of the opinion two opposite things can both be true.

Without a doubt, they had a problem with pedos in their ranks and that's been well documented, though "ambulance chasing" lawyers cooking up the numbers I also don't doubt one bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
222 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.