Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Manly men sneer at the .32 ACP/ 7.65 Browning. But it solved a problem in our household. If there was ever a situation, the pistol she carries and shoots for fun is somewhat more effective than the one she always left at home. Tons of old European police trade ins out there, the market is flooded right now, the price is right. The little Ortgies patent by DWM is her favorite...about the thickness of her checkbook-wallet.
Beware the .25...testing one, for function,new ammo, a Colt, for my non gun boss one day...shot it at a aluminum construction sign at 15 yards in the shop..bullet bounced back at about 170 degrees and struck the shop roll-up door, didn't penetrate either. Dumb but informative. He bought a more effective pistol.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That 380EZ is a soft shooting pistol that’s easy to operate, but it isn’t that small. After much research I bought a Bodyguard 380 and carry it in a pocket holster in my pocket. Also pretty soft shooting. Long trigger pull though, so I’ll replace it with the Santiago trigger. The wife is a revolver girl and won’t carry anything else, and she likes her S&W hammerless 38 with the polymer frame and red dot sight.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I carry a little S&W 317 when I'm working out in the yard, never worried about running into something 8 minimags wouldn't take care of. Tons of nice Beretta 81s floating around now. For $225 those little 32s are a hell of a bargain.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If going 22LR, then use a double-action revolver. The ammo isn't reliable enough for an auto.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A revolver solves the .22 rimfire "misfire" potential. Just pull the trigger again.

WRONG! Sometimes you may only have time for one shot. In a self defense situation, when milliseconds may matter, one needs that first shot to count! What happens if the next round goes 'click' as well? Multiple assailants...need as many rounds as possible, etc.
There's so much that could go wrong with "just pull the trigger again".

When I was a LEO we got a report from a nearby city about a man found staggering around like a drunk that had been detained by a local LEO. Long story short, the suspect was not drunk, he had been shot in the head multiple times with a .25 ACP giving the victim a massive head ache. The bullets had failed to penetrate the skull. Powder burns in the scalp indicated a very close range shooting. Based on that, don't believe I'd want to trust my life to a 25 acp either.

With practice and training there's very few people that can not master a 38, 380, or a 9mm. When it your life or the life of a loved that is on the line being armed with the means of defense is critical. Both practice and training are essential.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you reload?
get her a 38 snubnose to try, load some 38 special at about 400 FPS maybe less and let her shoot that.
Then load it for defense with milder 125-158 grain rounds.
That's what I did for my wife, she can shoot it al she wants and never have recoil be a bother.
I bought my Mom a Beretta 950 about 40 years ago, that seemed to go well also..

That worked for me and mine but we ain't you or your wife, to each his own

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
OP,

Pretty sure that what we have here is "a failure to communicate" - your wife is 72 has arthritis and is not small statured, you are trying to buy her what you think will work for her but that is not working out so well.

Let her try a 22 revolver - it is pull the trigger simple, keep pulling the trigger until it doesn't go bang anymore and then pull it a couple of more times. No recoil, intuitive and simple to operate - I don't know how this can be so hard.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by drover
OP,

Pretty sure that what we have here is "a failure to communicate" - your wife is 72 has arthritis and is not small statured, you are trying to buy her what you think will work for her but that is not working out so well.

Let her try a 22 revolver - it is pull the trigger simple, keep pulling the trigger until it doesn't go bang anymore and then pull it a couple of more times. No recoil, intuitive and simple to operate - I don't know how this can be so hard.

drover

The M&P EZ above was made for people with arthritis.

OP really should have her give one a spin.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A revolver solves the .22 rimfire "misfire" potential. Just pull the trigger again.

WRONG! Sometimes you may only have time for one shot. In a self defense situation, when milliseconds may matter, one needs that first shot to count! What happens if the next round goes 'click' as well? Multiple assailants...need as many rounds as possible, etc.
There's so much that could go wrong with "just pull the trigger again".

When I was a LEO we got a report from a nearby city about a man found staggering around like a drunk that had been detained by a local LEO. Long story short, the suspect was not drunk, he had been shot in the head multiple times with a .25 ACP giving the victim a massive head ache. The bullets had failed to penetrate the skull. Powder burns in the scalp indicated a very close range shooting. Based on that, don't believe I'd want to trust my life to a 25 acp either.

With practice and training there's very few people that can not master a 38, 380, or a 9mm. When it your life or the life of a loved that is on the line being armed with the means of defense is critical. Both practice and training are essential.

Wrong? In what way? Riddle me this . . . how many milliseconds does it take to pull a trigger twice? Get back to me when you've done your homework. grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Read my post again. Your answer is there.
Rim fires are the problem, they simply are not reliable enough to risk your life on it working EVERY TIME the trigger is pulled.
If you're in a life or death encounter a few milliseconds can make the difference.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I did for KYHillChick with her SP101 was do a reverse version of the ladder-- 5 rounds each reducing the load .2 grains at each step. When we got about halfway between a 357 Mag and a 38 SPL she said that was perfect. She and I both shoot 357 mag, but hers is just a tad lighter than my LCR load.

We were using 125 grain Hornady XTP's and Universal. Both loads ended up faster than a Fiocchi self-defense load in 38spl +P that I'd used as a benchmark. That load used XTP's as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Go rent a 5.7. See if that recoils to much for her.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
How about a revolver in .22 Magnum?
Or better yet .32 H&R

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So many options, but some folks are either recoil sensitive in the extreme, don't have the hand strength, have arthritis, or something that keeps them from weilding a battle weapon. I myself don't much care for the 50 AE, ya know?

My wife enjoys to the Sig P238 in 380 ACP. Slide is soooo easy to rack.

I like the suggestion for 32 H&R. That would be a nice light round in even an alloy framed revolver. Other than Charter Arms I don't know who makes one.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by drover
OP,

drover

Actually my wife is of small statue. I think you’re confused - I never thought my LC9s 9mm nor my .380 LCP would work - and I was right. She didn’t like the recoil so convincing her a different model .380 still isn’t going to work. I do know my wife - she didn’t like my .32 Arminius revolver she shot years ago but loved my .22 Ruger MKII auto. I sold that one a few years otherwise she’d be keeping that one in the drawer.

My direction is still the Glock G44 .22 or the Walther PPQ .22 with CCI Stingers. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by tpcollins; 02/18/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Wife likes her Airweight Chief's Special, loaded with 148 Grain full wad cutter target ammo.

It's only doing a little over 700 FPS and has very light recoil.

She tried the S&W EZ and a half dozen other guns over the years, but this S&W is her favorite.

She is 69 years old, and has arthritic hands. We also had a trigger job on the Smith, to reduce the DA trigger pull.

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have been a big advocate for the .22 on this thread. However y'all are bringing up the problem of misfires.
I must say, I haven't fired a .22 in several years. My brother brought over a Ruger 10/22 the other day and we ran 200 rounds through it.
My God we had about 15 misfires! What in the world? We thought there might be a problem with the rifle, but it looked like good firing pin strikes on all those duds.
Is .22 ammo that bad these days?
Isn't there one particular brand that is reliable?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Ain’t going to happen.

The Ruger LC9s 9mm kicked too much for her (I knew it would) and she had trouble with the loooong trigger pull on the LCP .380 - even with the Rossi trigger upgrade. Didn’t like the kick from the .380 either.

Looks like either the Glock G44 .22 caliber or the Walther PPQ .22 caliber. I might look at a .22 revolver but she’s already tested the trigger pull (no ammo) on the Glock. She still likes that one.

She’s concerned whether it will stop a perp - I told her with 10 shots + 1 in the chamber - to keep shooting until he’s on the ground. laugh

Body neck face body neck face.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not all rimfire ammo is the same.

If she likes the 22 stop trying to fit a square pg in a round hole. She's not going into battle. Get the 22 practice a lot and buy quality ammo. You'll know what jams and what doesnt, and you wont need some magazine article to tell you.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of .22 LR talk. Why not the .22 Mag?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
504 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 46 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.