-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was a scary wreck. Hard into the wall, catches air and flips1-2 then hit upside down directly on drivers door. Could easily believe that could be a fatal crash, or paralyzing, or permanent brain damage.

Now I am not a big race fan, but I knew of drafting, but didn't really know of pushing. It sure seemed like a lot of pushing. Was there more pushing than normal?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Man, I was really expecting the worst this morning.
Not a huge racing fan but was watching the finish,and thought it was a fatal.
Thank goodness he survived.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have to give credit to NASCAR for tor making those cars as safe as they are. It is absolutely amazing the punishment a car can take, and have the driver survive with little to no injury.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by AB2506
It was a scary wreck. Hard into the wall, catches air and flips1-2 then hit upside down directly on drivers door. Could easily believe that could be a fatal crash, or paralyzing, or permanent brain damage.

Now I am not a big race fan, but I knew of drafting, but didn't really know of pushing. It sure seemed like a lot of pushing. Was there more pushing than normal?

There has always been (at least since the ‘90’s) a lot of bump drafting at the restrictor tracks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank God that man is going home to his family.Be interesting to hear from the chap that delivered that pit maneuver.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not a fan of the bumping at 200 mph.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Prayers go out to "The Rocket". I hope he recovers fully. Just because he's alive, doesn't mean he's OK.

No need to be pissed at Hamlin for celebrating. He had just won the Daytona 500. You unplug your radio and there's no way to know. Everyone figures that everyone is OK until they hear otherwise. I remember when Earnhardt got killed, Micheal was standing on top of his car in the infield celebrating. He had no idea that his boss and close friend had just passed. These sort of wrecks happen and since Earnhardt died, they haven't lost anyone due to the safety upgrades made.

Here is Austin Dillin's wreck from 2015 in the exact same spot, but he went into the fence. Pretty vicious. Notice the engine and transmission come out of the car and lands in the grass. Not only does he go into the catch fence, but then he gets T Boned by Keslowski. Dillin walked away. It gets good at the 1:30 mark.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/18/20.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Gibbs put a squash on the celebrating as soon as they found it, they didn't know, radios were unplugged, etc.

How that thing didn't also turn into a fireball is beyond me, I was assuming that was gas puring out.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by killerv
Gibbs put a squash on the celebrating as soon as they found it, they didn't know, radios were unplugged, etc.

How that thing didn't also turn into a fireball is beyond me, I was assuming that was gas puring out.

Yes, I believe it was gas pouring out of the gas tank. How it didn't ignite is beyond me. That's why they wear fire suits.

Another thing about this wreck was the fact that he was hanging upside down for several minutes before they got him out of there. I'm sure that didn't help his cause either.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The safety engineering in those cars is amazing,

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Driver safety has come a long way since the late 1940's when my family ran a 34 Ford coupe on the first dirt track in Nashville Tennessee. Back then, a car would usually have a single roll bar made from whatever water pipe the car owner could scavenge up, and a cut-down oil drum or a military surplus aircraft seat for the driver. Fire suit? How about a pair of overalls and a T shirt! Seat belts were usually surplus items from a B-17 or something similar. The fuel tank on our car was a beer keg, mostly because it was stainless steel and would resist the corrosive properties of the methanol and hydrogen peroxide fuel mix better than a regular gas tank. One of the cars a local owner sent to run at Daytona in the early 1950's got disqualified- - - -it had a "roll cage" made of wood fence posts.

The first time I witnessed a fatal accident was at a little dirt track in central Indiana in the mid-1960's. The flagman would run to the middle of the track on a restart, wave the green flag, and sprint for the infield as the cars accelerated out of the #4 turn. He tripped on a rut in the track, fell, and got run over by the lead car before he could get out of the way. The driver tried to stop or swerve to miss him, only to be pushed along by the next car in line because the driver couldn't see what was happening.

I've survived one crash that broke my car in half, with only a cut on my hand and a chipped vertebra, and gotten run over in the pits by a car that jumped the track wall after a wreck and hit three of us who were standing too close to the track . That one resulted in a few scrapes and bruises but no serious injuries. Even with the extensive safety precautions of today, racing is still a dangerous pastime. So is skydiving, rock climbing, and a lot of other things adrenaline junkies do. Golfers get hit by lightning, too!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Poconojack

There has always been (at least since the ‘90’s) a lot of bump drafting at the restrictor tracks.

Hey, if you're behind the lead car and near the finish, just kill the leader and get the win. crazy

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If he lives through that, I'm gonna build a NASCAR car to hide in during earthquakes & tornadoes!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hey, if you're behind the lead car and near the finish, just kill the leader and get the win. crazy

Unfortunately, that is pretty accurate.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If he lives through that, I'm gonna build a NASCAR car to hide in during earthquakes & tornadoes!

I bet I know where you can pick up one cheap...

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Driver safety has come a long way since the late 1940's when my family ran a 34 Ford coupe on the first dirt track in Nashville Tennessee. Back then, a car would usually have a single roll bar made from whatever water pipe the car owner could scavenge up, and a cut-down oil drum or a military surplus aircraft seat for the driver. Fire suit? How about a pair of overalls and a T shirt! Seat belts were usually surplus items from a B-17 or something similar. The fuel tank on our car was a beer keg, mostly because it was stainless steel and would resist the corrosive properties of the methanol and hydrogen peroxide fuel mix better than a regular gas tank. One of the cars a local owner sent to run at Daytona in the early 1950's got disqualified- - - -it had a "roll cage" made of wood fence posts.

The first time I witnessed a fatal accident was at a little dirt track in central Indiana in the mid-1960's. The flagman would run to the middle of the track on a restart, wave the green flag, and sprint for the infield as the cars accelerated out of the #4 turn. He tripped on a rut in the track, fell, and got run over by the lead car before he could get out of the way. The driver tried to stop or swerve to miss him, only to be pushed along by the next car in line because the driver couldn't see what was happening.

I've survived one crash that broke my car in half, with only a cut on my hand and a chipped vertebra, and gotten run over in the pits by a car that jumped the track wall after a wreck and hit three of us who were standing too close to the track . That one resulted in a few scrapes and bruises but no serious injuries. Even with the extensive safety precautions of today, racing is still a dangerous pastime. So is skydiving, rock climbing, and a lot of other things adrenaline junkies do. Golfers get hit by lightning, too!
Jerry

Very interesting - thanks for posting. I remember a lot of that from the early sixties, as well. Of particular interest was the seat made from a cut-down oil drum. I remember that vividly and thinking that it wouldn't do a spine a lot of good to be bent along with that thing.
Also big was the use of "hardware cloth" as a mud screen in front of the driver. Along with t-shirts, I remember letterman's jackets being worn, as well as cotton, "grease-monkey" overalls.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Unfortunately, that is pretty accurate.

Great game. Then everyone can say, "Dayom, that's bad. I hated to see that."

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Dale Ernhardt died on this date in 2001

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
I was watching it live (we were at the race). What a scary wreck. How a driver survives being t-boned on the driver’s door while upside down by a car oncoming at 180+ mph is beyond me. I guess a combination of the intrusion cage and doors, the driver’s seat, and the angle of the nose of the car that hit him made that survivable. What looked even worse is that when the car came to a stop, there was fire coming out of the fuel fill port, and fuel was pouring out of the ruptured fuel cell onto the ground but somehow did not ignite, and the fire suppression guys were able to get it put out. Newman could have been burned alive while upside down if the car went up before the fire guys got there. That said, I would still guess he has some pretty serious injuries that he’s going to have to deal with.

Having been involved in a gasoline fire (but in the pits), I was watching the fluids with intense interest until the safety crew got there. I actually think the fluid that was coming out was hot oil and not gasoline. With the volatility of gasoline, I think it would have fireballed immediately. Don't know for sure, just guessing

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by logger
I actually think the fluid that was coming out was hot oil and not gasoline. With the volatility of gasoline, I think it would have fireballed immediately. Don't know for sure, just guessing

I too was watching that fluid gush out and when it didn't ignite figured it couldn't be gasoline. What other fluid reservoirs are in the rear of a Cup car? Oil cooler? Transmission cooler? Driver cold-box thingy? Is there any coolant/anti-freeze line/reservoirs in the rear of the car? I watch a few Nascar races this time of year until the ice comes off of our lakes then I'm in the boat so I'm not at all versed in the intricacies of what's where in a Cup car.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.