Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wicked edge sharpening system. No equal

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I can, and do use both. I have come to prefer the EdgePro over stones for most purposes. I rely on Japanese water stones for all my Scandi edge bushcraft knives, and for my Japanese knives. Sandpaper or compound impregnated leather for my convex knives.
One method just won’t cover all needs.

Sam......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote=Judman]This is getting deep... Microscope a blade edge?... I'll just keep doin what I do, and workin up critters how I do, which is a whole lot more than 99% of members here. I love simple flat ground blades that are made to work, and a havalon in the mix too...😂😂🖕😎👍[/

Judman ,

Morning ..
Things are changing - soon your method won't work - you'll saw and hack at a big elk until the meat is rotten .
You'll yell out into the night ''if only i had looked at my blade under a microscope i'd have known'' . smile

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I retired I left my microscope for another engineer. I do wish I would have brought it home, it was a option for me. I looked back through my old files and don't see any edge images. Sort of surprises me I don't have edge images.

I wouldn't have spent so much time looking at knife edges if the scope wasn't sitting in my office. A very nice Zeiss stereoscope (both eyes open) I picked up at our surplus equipment.

Would be nice to set one up at a big knife show and let people examine their edges. I suspect you could sell lots of sharpeners that way.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Boise ,

There are some cheap $20 handheld scopes that plug into a computer or phone via USB cord .
Bunch of videos on youtube and pics of sharp/dull blades - google .
I didn't want to bore the board with a video .

Many pics of the rolled over edge and chipped off edge you spoke of .

Last edited by ol_mike; 02/15/20.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Use free hand stones (high density Arkansas) for knives but a jig for precise angles on chisels. Strop on paper or leather, and frequently use a steel when butchering/filleting.

Cookie, however, can rapidly undo my efforts. She likes to saw even the most tender of cuts using the full length of a blade on porcelain plates.

Really lucked out just yesterday. A neighbor was cleaning out his dad's garage and offered up a 12-inch surgical grade Arkansas stone for $2.00. I told him is was grossly underpriced, but he said "it was of no value to him." Looked absolutely true and unused, so I probably saved about $80 on that one.

One of my many hobbies is flint knapping and we have obsidian readily available even in my yard. That stuff is sharp. Knick ones self with a flake, and it bleeds for 20 minutes. Cuts are so clean and smooth that clots have a difficult time forming. Up side is they will heal in about 24 hours.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/16/20.

1Minute
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute

One of my many hobbies is flint knapping and we have obsidian readily available even in my yard. That stuff is sharp. Knick ones self with a flake, and it bleeds for 20 minutes. Cuts are so clean and smooth that clots have a difficult time forming. Up side is they will heal in about 24 hours.

Speaking of, here are a few I picked up at a bit over 10,000’... at a minimum, a couple hundred years old and still sharp as a razor.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Godogs57

Have them all...literally ALL...and I agree..

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Hmmm.

There are a variety of similar systems (like the Hapstone). It's more the quality of the stones and the ability of the operator rather than the system.

Heck, Gene Ingram uses a Lansky...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As you adjust your wheels, tension your belts and jiggle your jigs the stone of the old ones sleeps in a drawer, and a small, sly voice in your head tells you that you are not a man.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Hmmm.

There are a variety of similar systems (like the Hapstone). It's more the quality of the stones and the ability of the operator rather than the system.

Heck, Gene Ingram uses a Lansky...

Fully agree, Brad. Though I would say "understanding of the operator with the system's operation" in lieu of "ability of the operator."

I have both edgepros, a KME, both of the russkies (hapstone and TSPROF), sharpmaker, Tormek, Wicked Edge, Warthog, heck, even Bader and Wilton Square Wheel grinders....and lots more. Plus at least 30 types of stones from SiC to Shapton, Chosera, etc...

I get lots of knives from makers that when checked on the goniometer are way off from what they claim. Major issue is faceting, where they don't compensate for stone wear/thickness between initial and subsequent to finish grits.

THAT is why I like the Wicked Edge. The Gen 3 clamp, indexing, microadjustment, and mostly the both side lapping that controls the burr... BUT, as you say...once a guy "knows" the system he has, and how to adjust for consistent angle, they all work... I should have said "for me, there is no equal."

And to add, one of the reasons I love Gene (I have 37 of his knives, and we've had this conversation)...he doesn't say "I sharpened it to 20* on the Lansky", he says "I sharpened it using the 20* setting on the Lansky." Sharp (pun) guy....he gets it!

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Could you draw a better circle by hand or when using a compass technical drawing instrument ?

Better straight line by hand or using the edge of a ruler ?

This isn't drawing!

Let me start by saying Sharp is Sharp period! The blade is either sharp or it is not. What we are really talking about is edge stability, edge retention, and edge toughness (durability).

This can be argued forever but there are things to take into account. First NOBODY in their right mind would ever argue that a guiding system doesn't gives a superior flat edge. We all know that it will give the flattest most consistent edge. But a flat edge doesn't mean it is the most stable edge. Remember sharp is sharp period, and we are talking about the edge remaining so.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I went full circle. I was given a Buck knife back in the late 70's when I was a kid and one of their honing kits which had a soft arkansas and hard arkansas stone. This was when Buck knives were really hard.....I think made of 440C and mine came without an edge. I spent hours trying to sharpen the thing when I first should have had some el cheapo knives to practice with and develop muscle memory and second I should have had a really coarse Silicone Carbide stone to profile the Buck with before I took it to the Arkansas stones. My new Buck came out lopsided and had a "working edge" ie it was still dull but better than a butter knife.

This soured me on freehand sharpening, Arkansas Stones, and caused me to have a preference for carbon steel because it was soft enough to sharpen with the equipment I had at the time. At some point in young adulthood, I got a Lansky kit and worked up my first decent edges. I used the Lansky kit for many years until the internet and Youtube came along and I saw what guys were able to do freehand. I got some dollar store knives and an India stone and learned....actually finished learning how to do it.....by mimicking them. Then I learned a little about abrasives and what is appropriate for what stages in the process. For instance, Arkansas stones are magic for finishing and maintaining some steels but they are not what you need to profile, or reprofile any halfway modern knife.....like I was trying to do with the Buck when I was a kid.

Anyway, now that I can freehand, I much prefer it. Its simple, fast, portable.....and can be as economical or expensive as you want. I actually have a little fun doing it depending on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I like making edges that can push cut phone book paper and shave an ape for fun but the reality is I could get by quite well in the hunting world with a 20 dollar two sided India stone and a bottle of mineral oil.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,875 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.