Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Slip it in pvc pipe and you can bury it anywhere, even on your property. A posthole digger doesn't disturb enough earth to show up. They'd have to use ground penetrating radar/metal detector across every square foot of your property to find it.

Metal detectors are our worst enemy. I'm thinking Tennessee Arms and some polymer lowers buried in a similar fashion. The anarchists will just out law uppers as well. They will be tougher to hide.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I still don't understand the burying thing? If someone is coming to confiscate them, wouldn't that be the time you'd want them in your hands? What happens when you get old and feeble (60+ seems to be the average age around here) and you die or can't remember where you buried it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Slip it in pvc pipe and you can bury it anywhere, even on your property. A posthole digger doesn't disturb enough earth to show up. They'd have to use ground penetrating radar/metal detector across every square foot of your property to find it.

Metal detectors are our worst enemy. I'm thinking Tennessee Arms and some polymer lowers buried in a similar fashion. The anarchists will just out law uppers as well. They will be tougher to hide.

kwg
I'll bet it would take about 5 years with a metal detector to find a gun randomly hidden on 20 acres. smile

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, imagine this: AR's are outlawed but other guns aren't. Time might come when somebody's ass needs to get salted. The future is uncertain. If someone red flags you and they come to take them away, one or two outcomes await. The complaint will be verified and you lose, or found w/o merit and you get them back. Some days you get to pick the way you check out; don't do it because you think it will feel good. Live to fight another day.

I think one of the common misconceptions about this stuff is fueled by Hollywood BS. One person cannot prevail against a large well armed force in a set piece engagement unless there has been a helluva lot of preparation (mines & booby traps) and even then there be about a dozen wild cards in the deck. If you ever go over to the dark side you need to plan on nibbling on your enemy one little bite at a time.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Old timers used to hide things in holler corner posts.

Just saying...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

kwg
I'll bet it would take about 5 years with a metal detector to find a gun randomly hidden on 20 acres. smile

Even longer if you started salting that 20 acres with shallow buried scrap metal.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I still don't understand the burying thing? If someone is coming to confiscate them, wouldn't that be the time you'd want them in your hands? What happens when you get old and feeble (60+ seems to be the average age around here) and you die or can't remember where you buried it?

You're not burying all of them.

What makes you think you will know when they are coming?

When is the best time to fight? Might be nice to have some options, such as resources in reserve that can provide you with additional options and choose the time and battle space.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by NVhntr

kwg

Even longer if you started salting that 20 acres with shallow buried scrap metal.

Salting the area is an interesting, possibly effective diversion. But thinking a 5 year search thing is a bit exaggerated, even for one person. How long does it take to walk 20 acres in a grid anyway. If they want you, they won't be using metal detectors from the dollar store. Nor will there be one of them, more likely 40.

But just covering a point. I've been following this kind of stuff since Mel Tappans survival articles in Guns & Ammo magazine in the mid 1970's. And thinking just today that I've pondered the notion many times, but I've yet to bury a gun. A very convoluted idea. Thinking it just depends on you attitude at the time.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

All respect for police has been lost there...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm beginning to wonder if y'all aren't getting the joke.

It is serious. However, the point here is not to go out today and bury your rifle collection. The point here is letting gun control folks know the impossibility of their actions.

1) Oh, that assault weapon. I traded that for cash to my now-dead brother-in-law's friend of a friend.
2) Oh, THAT assault weapon. I lost it fishing a few years ago. I can show you where I lost it. It was near the dam.
3) . . .

Me? I really don't mind burying an AR. I'm a deer hunter. I have a closet full of deer rifles. I don't like AR platforms and I generally don't like hunting with semi-automatics anymore. I have a closet full of other stuff too. My sons like AR, because they are easy to accessorize and they all have friends that have served in Iraq and Afghanistan and they get free tips and lessons.

The punchline to this joke is this: All it takes is 6" PVC pipe and fittings and the will to do it, and gun confiscation legislation is useless. They want to disarm us for a reason, and it ain't for public safety. All I have to do when these bastards come around is stand on my front porch (from which you can see 4 counties) and wave my hand and say, "They're out there somewhere. Have fun."

You want another joke? How about this one. Everybody go out and buy one inexpensive AR platform. Everybody meet at the gun show, bring a checkbook and a wad of cash. Everybody sell their AR to somebody else and then play swappies until you're happy. You may come home with your own rifle. You may come home with a better one. Bottom line, the whole idea of tracing weapons becomes moot. I went to the gun show with two of my sons last weekend. They brought a half-dozen of their friends. Both my sons had guns to trade. Both came home with different guns. Confiscation my ass!

I had an interesting conversation with a Ukrainian friend of mine the other day. He couldn't wrap his head around how loose the government is with allowing firearms in the hands of people. He's not anti-gun at all. He just can't see how we "get away with it." I think his original question was something like "who do you have to notify when you modify a firearm like that?" The conversation was about putting a new stock on a RAR. My answer was simple. In this country, the government is what we say it is. We choose. We start at the basic principle of the sanctity of the individual and work up from there. The government is there to serve us and not the other way around. I think I finally got my point across. He still thinks we're pulling a fast one on somebody, but he's starting to get the joke.

Now, back to my original question: 5.56 or .223? 55 grain or 62? What would you bury?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bury? Liberals of course.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good news. I had my Project Ralph rifle out to the farm over the weekend with my first experimental 55 grain handloads, and I managed to ding the 16 inch gong at 200 yards with the first shot. I had a 2 MOA Aimpoint on it. I'll probably swap that out for something more conventional before I commit Ralph to burial.

Dang! AR's 'r fun! I might keep this one above ground for a bit!

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

More pics and story here:
Return to Camp 2020

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
burial... waste of a good AR... LOL.

As to not hunting with semis of any flavor, one comment, though I don't hunt that often with em either, when you need a single shot and you have a Ruger 1, you are golden. When you need that super fast follow up you have an AR etc... you are golden. When you need a single shot and have an AR etc... you are STILL golden....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Burying a gun is a bad idea, you know, unless it's a Keltec or Taurus or the like. Then, why waste the energy when you can just throw it in the river?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.