Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4X scopes are all I've ever needed.

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Johnny Loco: In response to your latest post - I think YOU do not understand that a nifty Leupold 3x9 variable scope will do ANYTHING your fixed 2.5 power or 4 power scope will - and the 3x9 will provide for some things your 2.5 fixed WILL simply NOT DO!
Let me give you another "gunshow" example of how slow fixed power (6 power or less!) scopes move on the open/used market.
I attended the Livingston, Montana gunshow on Friday February 7th.
I again was the first person through the door that Friday afternoon and it was pretty well attended.
About 2 hours into my perusal of that smallish gunshow I re-looked at a new style Weaver fixed power scope. I had originally thought it was a 4 power scope but it turned out to be a mint condition 6 power scope.
I paid the tableholder what he wanted for it $15.00 (fifteen dollars!) - now I know at least 100 "visitors" had looked at that scope prior to my buying it and probably 50 table holders had looked at it before I did and NONE wanted it!
I bought it because one of my Ground Squirrel Hunting partners is putting together a Gopher Rifle for his new to the game grandson.
I fully plan on "giving" that perfectly fine but not so desirable nowadays scope to the grandson.
If you wish to "stick" with the old technology I say GO FOR IT!
Just don't try to convince those of us that wish to do otherwise that YOUR way is best - its not!
Been there done that - for 6 decades now (since I was 12).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I meant Weaver Grand Slam 4.75 power. Awesome scopes. The Leupold 4x wide duplex is a total abomination. Older Leupold M8's with standard duplex are the thing.....and I love the friction adjustments, too! Set it and forget it.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
While elk hunting in New Mexico, I found that I preferred a friends 3X9 over my own 2X7. I liked the extra magnification in that type of terrain. As for southern Indiana, fixed power scopes seem to work because 150 yards is a long shot and rarely do you get one over 200. Most of my deer are killed in the woods under 50 yards. West of the Mississippi, things are a lot different.
I have found that in the woods, deer can slip up on you almighty fast(bucks chasing does), and there have been times I have struggled to pick them up in a 4 power scope inside 20 yards and this is where a 2X7 or smaller power variable shines. As a matter a fact, I have a Leupold 2X7 I purchased here on the campfire that will be finding a home on my 44 Handi-Rifle.
As for fixed-power scopes, most were purchased or traded for in my younger, newly married days when I didn't have a lot of disposable income. I mounted them on whatever firearms I was using at the time while dreaming of all the expensive, variable scopes I would someday own. In the meantime, I found that most filled my needs admirably and didn't need replaced. I have a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14X40 on my 243. Every time I've killed something with it, which is a lot of stuff, I usually find that the scope is set on 6 power. The Leupold 4X on the AR carbine is a trapline rifle that rides mostly on a fourwheeler in all kinds of weather. Shots are fast and usually not over 150 yards, so that combo works for me. All of my larger caliber centerfires (06's, 270's Swede) wear Leupold variables but I love my fixed power scopes too and use them accordingly.
I was taught that when it comes to rifle scopes, buy the best that you can afford. That was good advice. My ways aren't the best and may not be for everyone but they work for me.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 02/17/20.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The modern variable WILL do a lot of things that old 4x won't do. It will test your mounts better with it's greater weight. It will allow you to shoot with your head more erect as you mount it higher on the rifle. It will allow you to feel good about the extra lenses and moving parts you can count on.
Fixed 4x scopes are simple, lightweight, and rugged.
I have some variable scopes but only because that was all I could get. When I wanted a fixed 16, I had buy a 6-24 variable. I bought a 3-9 because it was available whilethe 6x I wanted was not. GD

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
The 4x33 Leupold is no more?

Optics Planet still shows it.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As I pointed out very early in this thread, one reason fewer optics companies are offering 4x scopes is they're competing with the thousands (millions?) of 4x scopes cranked out by various companies for the last century.
These don't break all that often, so you can pick them up for anything from $50 to $150, and the price seems to be going down. Why in the hell would some 21st-century optics company spend part pf their time marketing 4x's?

However, geezers who know they can kill stuff even at 400+ yards with 4x scopes can now get some great deals. despite some of them really liking higher-X variables as well--especially if they also like older rifles, where a fixed 4x looks more "correct."

So what are you bitching about?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just glad I can use what I want rather than what someone else thinks I need. 😃 Fixed powers have worked just fine for me.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
MD, this old geezer agrees...well said. Just sad to see that new fixed power are getting harder to find.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What are you gaining with a fixed power scope that a variable can’t do with more versatility? Really want to hear the answer.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
you are gaining durability while losing weight and bulk. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dats som funny chit right down there vvvvvvvvvvvv

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Johnny Loco: In response to your latest post - I think YOU do not understand that a nifty Leupold 3x9 variable scope will do ANYTHING your fixed 2.5 power or 4 power scope will - and the 3x9 will provide for some things your 2.5 fixed WILL simply NOT DO!
Let me give you another "gunshow" example of how slow fixed power (6 power or less!) scopes move on the open/used market.
I attended the Livingston, Montana gunshow on Friday February 7th.
I again was the first person through the door that Friday afternoon and it was pretty well attended.
About 2 hours into my perusal of that smallish gunshow I re-looked at a new style Weaver fixed power scope. I had originally thought it was a 4 power scope but it turned out to be a mint condition 6 power scope.
I paid the tableholder what he wanted for it $15.00 (fifteen dollars!) - now I know at least 100 "visitors" had looked at that scope prior to my buying it and probably 50 table holders had looked at it before I did and NONE wanted it!
I bought it because one of my Ground Squirrel Hunting partners is putting together a Gopher Rifle for his new to the game grandson.
I fully plan on "giving" that perfectly fine but not so desirable nowadays scope to the grandson.
If you wish to "stick" with the old technology I say GO FOR IT!
Just don't try to convince those of us that wish to do otherwise that YOUR way is best - its not!
Been there done that - for 6 decades now (since I was 12).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I thought military snipers used FIXED 10x scopes. I’m curious...Why?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
What are you gaining with a fixed power scope that a variable can’t do with more versatility? Really want to hear the answer.

Simplicity.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by greydog
you are gaining durability while losing weight and bulk. GD

Originally Posted by Elvis

Simplicity.

There's a couple of points. Lighter weight, durability, and simplicity. If made to exactly the same specs, a fixed scope is going to be less likely to have problems simply because there are less moving parts. Lighter because of the fewer parts and fewer lenses. Fewer lenses also results in less light lost on every glass/air surface so a higher percentage of light will make it through the scope than a variable of the same glass/coating specs. The simplicity of the image being the same, the same eye relief, the same exit pupil every time you look through it. Sleek and slim lined without a power ring on the tube is nice...no change of power to consider....

....I'm not really arguing against variables but in use I've not found myself handicapped with fixed scopes and I prefer them, especially 6x42 scopes. Simple things are reliable, simple things last, simple things are efficient. They aren't the best fit for everything but a simple read through this thread shows that for many people they're the best fit for their preference.....and that's as good an argument for them as any.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
They aren't the best fit for everything but a simple read through this thread shows that for many people they're the best fit for their preference.....and that's as good an argument for them as any.

There you go again, JCM... reducing an entire thread to a couple sentences. Sheesh, what's to become of this place? Rick (and his evil henchman SYSOP) might as well start limiting us to 140 characters.

I like fixed 4x scopes for all the reasons stated above. I've also found I often shoot better at the range with them - they smooth out the crosshair wiggles. I tried to join the cool kids & fawn over 6x scopes, but I just couldn't get my eyes to like one. Trust me, that's far from the only reason I'm a weirdo.

I gotta say, though, that it's tremendously liberating to be devoid of [intercourse]s to give about what others think of my optics predilections. It's so much easier to only have to worry about pleasing my own eyes.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t think simplicity and durability are an advantage if you don’t buy junk scopes. Lighter weight at the expense of not changing the power is what you are trading. No one is buying fixed powers that is why they quit making them

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Fixed power scopes also have a more classic look on a gun.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
I have several fixed-power scopes and plan on acquiring a few more.

1: 4X Nikon Prostaff Rimfire on a Marlin Model 25/22 LR

2: 4X Leupold Rimfire on Browning BL-22

3: 4X Leupold Rimfire on Remington 580

4: 4X Simmons on Remington 510 ( 34 year old scope)

5: 6X Leupold on 788/222 Remington

6: 4X Leupold on Knight MK-85 muzzleloader

7: 10X Weaver AO (K10) on 22-250

8: 4X Leupold on Rock River AR

9: 4X Redfield on 44 mag. Handi-Rifle

My favorite is the 4X Redfield I picked up on trade for cheap. I needed a scope in a pinch and threw it on the Handi-Rifle and I fell in love with it. The reticle is a crosshair with a circle where the crosshairs intersect. At 100 yards a 3 inch shoot-n-see target completely fills the circle making it easy to shoot groups with for a four power. It is great for shooting game. I believe it is called a crosshair/peep.
I have several variables but the fixed powers seem to fill my needs perfectly. Simple and all have been 100% reliable for me.

No.5 got my attention. That looks like a fun combo right there. Nice.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BWalker
I cant think of a single use for a fixed 4x scope. Evidently I am not alone.

Neither are you a majority....

Actually in this case I would rather use one of the 3x Big Bores I have....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

4x-1:

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.