Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14582471 02/18/20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking at getting a new vest and wanted a few opinions. I know a lot of y’all will say you don’t need a vest but I like a vest and dont want to debate over using a vest/not using vest.
I’m looking at the cabelas tactical tatr 2 with kickstand and the alps grand slam with kickstand. Anybody using these and want to give opinions? Also any others I should consider?

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Luke, I highly suggest you go to a store that carries those and try one on. The built in kick stand type vest just aren't for me. I tote a gobbler lounger everywhere I go turkey hunting and like the Primos Gobbler Gen 2 vest. I wore the Gen 1 for over 10 years, upgraded to one of these new fangled designs, and went right back to the Primos.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I bought a Bucklick Creek vest back in '99 in Meridian, MS that I still use. I love that vest and wish they were still made that way.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Like Reloader7....I tend to carry a lounger now, but if I wasn’t, my Cabela’s kick stand is great.....most times. If I’m not carrying a lounger, it’s because I know I’ll be flash hunting, moving a lot, and have trees....in which case a lawnmower inner tube or blowup cushion is better than any foam seat ever conceived. Mostly a small satchel, chest pack, or just my pockets, for calls.... with any dekes in the lounger or a string pack.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 02/18/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rony the stuff arrived. Hopefully see Anthony soon and get time to try the new stuff out. Thanks

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
Rony the stuff arrived. Hopefully see Anthony soon and get time to try the new stuff out. Thanks

Sweet, let me know how they do. I shot some of those Storm loads through a Carlson's .580 and Jebs .560 in one of my A400s and it was wicked man.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The kickstand would be nice, my buddy bought one and seems to like it. I hunt out of the old little big horn vests with the frame, I buy every used one I come across.

I had a big bird several years back flying down in an old loading dock, literally nowhere for me to sit except for a patch of tall grass. Thats where these vest shine when there isn't a tree near by. That bird never gobbled from the limb and pitched down 5ft over my right shoulder and started spitting and drumming, thank goodness he never gobbled in my ear that close or I'd have come unglued. I got in there about 45 minutes early and literally had the gun up looking down the barrel trying not to take any chances of spooking this bird, just hoping hed walk in front of it...i knew he was roosted close. He spitted and drummed around me for about 15 minutes and I shot him at 10 yards. To sit all tensed up like that for so long, I couldn't have done it without a framed vest.

I love turkey stories, I never seem to relive my buck stories like I do these birds.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah I have decided to get the kickstand type vest. No stores closer than 30 minutes from me to check one out in person.
I’ve decided on three, the Tenzing tr18, the alps grand slam or the cabelas tactical tatr kickstand.

The Tenzing is alittle higher but the lightest of the bunch, I don’t know how much difference that make as I’m used to a heavy load anyways as I always pack to much stuff.
The other two are the same price.

Anybody use the Tenzing?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tried the Alps and Tenzing with kickstand. Sold both. Neither was close to my lounger for comfort.

I didn’t like the layout of the Tenzing either.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SFCSNOW
Tried the Alps and Tenzing with kickstand. Sold both. Neither was close to my lounger for comfort...

^^^This

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Cabelas Tactical Tat'R 2 without the kickstand. I just feel the kickstand adds unnecessary weight to the vest. I've never felt the need for a lounger either, IMHO. But I run and gun more often than not so I'm not sitting for long periods of time.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I never could make myself like the lounger. It was a hassle to carry and not as comfortable as my vest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Y'all don't have any trees to sit down against?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I went and tried the alps grand slam today. I decided to try it.
I hunt around fields a lot and think the kickstand will make it easier to set up around the fields

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.