Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I never mix brass when cleaning.

Me neither

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't care if my brass looks like new or not. I don't often clean brass and I've stopped using the vibrating case cleaner. If cases have too much soot on them to reload as is, I toss them in a large mouth plastic bottle with Dawn, shake for a few seconds and rinse.

The only part of the case that I really clean is the inside of the case neck with a brass brush.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco

Me neither

I do, but normally I mix obvious mismatches. Part of that is that I generally don't have large batches of brass to clean. It'll be 20 of this and 50 of that-- of themselves, not worth the wear on the cleaner.

A typical mix might be 25 30-06 and 25 30-30 and 50 45 ACP. There's no doubt about what's what. Another batch might be 50 223 and 200 9mm. Again, no problems. If I have to look at the headstamp to be sure, then it's too close. For instance, I don't mix 25-06 and 30-06.

Where I've gotten into trouble is when I'm cleaning a batch of once-fired and someone's mixed a few 9mm's in with the 45's. In this past instance, my sons brought me a pile of range sweepings that probably included God-knows-what. I had just received 100 rounds of Lake City 30-06 brass and wanted something to top off the batch.

Note to self: stop trusting the kids' range sweepings.

So much of what I shoot is small batches. With my deer rifles, I'll start off with one box of 50, shoot half, and then clean and reload it while I'm shooting the remaining 25. It's all the same recipe and I'll keep going like that until I get neck splits. With annealing, I've got rounds that have lasted since 2002.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I used an ultrasonic cleaner for years. It got the cases clean but didn't polish the discoloration. Now I use tumbling medium and it polishes them up shinier than new. I like good looking ammo. The only problem is grains of medium getting in the primer pockets once in awhile but that's less of a hassle than having to brush out the necks. And I NEVER mix different cases.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The key to segregating brass is more tumblers......I have nine...... grin

Corn cob media and a couple three dollops of Nu Finish car wax is your huckleberry.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I wet tumble with SS pins. The vast majority that I clean are straight walled cases, the exception being .223. I mix cases that will not fit into others such as .38/.357 with 9mm & .380. Also mix .44mag/spl with .45 Colt/ACP. .223 is a real pain as the pins often get jammed up in the cases and it often takes quite a bit of shaking to get them out. This and with all the needed case prep of checking each case for length, trimming, and swaging primer pockets on unknown brass, I really wonder if reloading .223 is worth the effort.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul39
Once I went with a rotary tumbler with steel pins, I got rid of the corn cob mess and never looked back.

Fill with water, add a couple of squirts of Dawn and a pinch of Lemishine, and cases come out looking like new. The steel pins never wear out, and even though they are stainless they can be picked up with a magnet, which is handy

Paul

If you don’t have the Lyman separator pans, they are worth the money. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I run three tumblers as some batches of brass run to 500 rounds. Media is walnut shells that are quite small.. Damned if I can remember where I got the stuff but I remember that it was a 25 pound bag. Most of the time they don't stick in the flash holes but it's a quick look into the mouth of the case on a well lit piece of white paper to see if the hole is clear. I use a universal decapping tool to knock out the few times there is media stuck in the hole. That works a lot faster than trying to pick it our with a paper clip.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Harbor Freight is your friend. I've been using one of these for several years now. Got it on sale for about $42-45.

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What happens to ignition if you miss a piece of walnut in the flash hole? Something I've always wondered about.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

If I get it and it's already mixed, sometimes I don't bother to sort them.

They're easier to sort after I clean them. I can read the headstamps. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco

Me neither

But then you miss all the fun or pulling 9MM out of the 45s. wink

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know if its been posted or not but 9mm mixed with 40's don't play well together. Neither do 40's and 45's.

lightman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Like blankets with too much synthetic content, they ball up in the dryer. Then only the outside one is dry.

Same with sheets but the wife puts only one sheet or blanket in the dryer at a time. They don't ball up and dry real quick according to her.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's funny, but I find it interesting that y'all had trouble with stuff balling up in the washer. I just made the mistake of putting a pair of bib overalls in with my work shirts. That combination got all twisted up and it took 15 minutes to get it unwrapped from the agitator. I finally had to re-rinse the shirts to get the wrinkles out.

If only I'd posted this two weeks ago.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lightman
I don't know if its been posted or not but 9mm mixed with 40's don't play well together. Neither do 40's and 45's.

If using a wet tumbler, the problem isn't nearly as prevalent.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have zero experience wet tumbling, but it seems like wet tumbling with pins is just a big of a PITA as cob/walnut media is, no?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkchsr
These pics were taken with my iPhone after last weekends match. This is my 38-55 schuetzen rifle barrel, about 4 inches in front of the chamber. I went from shooting pretty well to missing the target completely in a hurry. The only explanation that I can think of is that I missed a stainless steel pin after cleaning the cases. This gouge wasn’t there before shooting that day and this barrel hasn’t seen anything but cast bullets. Not sure what really happened, but I’m all over tumbling with stainless pins and the rifle has been shipped off to be relined.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The very same thing happened to John Friguglietti (top level "position" shooter) in one of his AR15 barrels a couple of years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
What happens to ignition if you miss a piece of walnut in the flash hole? Something I've always wondered about.

I don't know, but I believe I'm going to intentionally try it to find out. My guess is that you wouldn't get as good ignition and the velocity would be slower. Either that, or no difference at all.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,758
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.