Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14567559 02/12/20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What are you guys running for pan covers? I’ve been using window screen and garden weed barrier. What do you guys prefer?

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I quit using pan covers and went to a trap cap when bedding. Works great., one of the best and cheapest trapping investments I've made. Got mine from Minnesota Trapline Products.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I saw a video of using a piece of asphalt roofing and window screen to make pan covers. Never done it but it looked like it would work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSzObxpoBUk

I'll let the video creator take credit if he wants to.

Last edited by cwh2; 02/12/20. Reason: Add link
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
I saw a video of using a piece of asphalt roofing and window screen to make pan covers. Never done it but it looked like it would work great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSzObxpoBUk

I'll let the video creator take credit if he wants to.

That’s pretty slick. I like the bigger pan idea. I’ve never left a set uncovered, though.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I don't use pan covers! No issues either!

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Leaves from the Linden tree(Basswood). I'd pick them up off the ground on a damp morning in the fall and put them flat in baggies(sandwich size) and put them in the freezer. A bag full stuck in my pocket was enough for a day of setting. They are the perfect size, round, soft and FREE.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I quit using pan covers along time ago. I figured if a fox was working a set and just did miss the pan his claws might have the chance of hooking the screen and making a mess. I did try fiberfill this year with no problems but might not do it any more. May be a scent contamination thing there. I sift all my dirt and bed right to the edge of the pan. IF the pan moves at all it fires. I still have the pan adjusted for some weight be required to fire it but if it moves any... ANY... it fires. I usually don't redo the set after a rain unless it rains hard or for a long time. Ray

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Has anyone come up with a way to keep sand and silt from covering your beaver traps and stopping the pan from dropping ?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Ray63
Has anyone come up with a way to keep sand and silt from covering your beaver traps and stopping the pan from dropping ?

Are conibears an option for you there?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Iowa can use conibears. The 330 size needs to be clear under water. I trap 2 rivers that have a lot of beaver and a lot of sand bars and silt. Trying to figure a way to set the sand bars with foot holds. Was thinking about trying to put them in 1 gallon zip lock bags.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Iowa can use conibears. The 330 size needs to be clear under water. I trap 2 rivers that have a lot of beaver and a lot of sand bars and silt. Trying to figure a way to set the sand bars with foot holds. Was thinking about trying to put them in 1 gallon zip lock bags.

Foam rubber under the pan.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I thought of that and would like to find the "RIGHT" foam. Most is too dense and the silt will cover the trap and pack so hard you can stand on the pan and it still won't fire. I am going to try the zip locks and go on the down stream side of the sand bar where there is less/no current and try to rake out a little eddy and see if it will help the problem. Ray

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wax paper.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Saw a guy using coffee filters. Thought that was interesting.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
YA, about all that stuff is for dry ground. I am looking for an answer to beaver trapping.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use a sheet of CHEAP TP....nice to have on hand if the urge strikes while out and about too.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
YA, about all that stuff is for dry ground. I am looking for an answer to beaver trapping.

Could you cut the top off of a cup about the same size (a little bigger) as the pan and put the cylinder under it? The only gap would be the distance between the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the pan.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That might work... but the silt gets in everywhere. You have to see it to believe it. At times, I find the trap chain and have to pull very hard to move the trap at all and a whole block of mud comes out still completely covering the trap. And it does not take long to get all packed up. I miss a few chances every day because of this. Beaver going right over the trap and working the castor mound.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have you tried blocking the current to some extent upriver so that the silt is directed away from the trap?

Are you allowed to set on land out of the water?

Are you sure that it is the silty river plugging the traps, and not the beavers themselves as they push mud balls up to the castor mound?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Was think about trying the daming thing on sand bars. Not the beavers doing it. You can watch the silt floating it. Going in on the down stream side of a big sand bar might work. I had been thinking on that one for a while. Should have the jet put on my transom jack tomorrow and then all I need is some weather that isn't trying to drown me or freeze me and away I go. We have so much fluctuation in the water levels it makes it hard to keep up moving traps up or down every day and the silt...
I need to talk to my fur buyer and see what it will cost me if he skins instead of me doing it. I turned 65 last September and running the line is getting harder and then skinning too just plain poops me out too much. Never figured I would be saying that......…...…..
Thanks for trying to help. KEEP THINKING !! RAY

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
527 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.