Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by javman
Trail Life USA taking over where Boy Scouts used to be.
Our church made the switch a couple years ago. A few years ago when they were still BSA, I was trying to find a way to get more use out of my pack llamas so I volunteered to take them on a pack trip. We've made 4 trips now and have #5 in the planning for this summer. After they switched to Trail Life, they asked me to be an assistant leader. I'm 71 and all the boys could be my grandsons. I have years of outdoor experience to teach them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good on you, RC.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

Interesting to compare what the Boy Scouts have become today with Baden-Powell's original concept.

For those who like going to the sources of things I highly recommend reading "The Matabele Campaign, 1896; Being a Narrative of the Campaign in Suppressing the Native Rising in Matabeleland and Mashonaland" by (then) Col. R.S.S. Baden-Powell, 13th Hussars and Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.

In that book you can see Baden-Powell first forming the kernel of an idea for a scouts organization for boys and his reasons for thinking this would be a good thing for the preservation of British culture going into the future.

Inexpensive reprints can be found at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+matabele+campaign&ref=nb_sb_noss

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

One more thing. You know it was at the local level where allegations regarding abuse would have been reported. And it was at the local level (the individual councils) where they would have been ignored or hushed up. But it is the national council that is being held accountable, not the local councils. So the actual accessories to the crimes are not being held accountable. It's also the local councils that actually own most of the real estate assets in the form of buildings and scout summer camps. Philmont and Summit Bechtel are the only properties owned by the national council that actually have much real estate value.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I question the allegation that tens of thousands of kids were molested. Sounds like lawyers stacking the deck.

I believe you're correct. Google "Litigation Financing". There's a new rage in alternate investments that specialize in financing litigation. The only ones that get rich on this sort of litigation is the lawyers and their staff. There's hardly any meaningful awards for the actual victims.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Blueboy
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Good.............I hope they disband and have to tell the world that everything was going good until the queers took over.
"Where's John....anybody seen John!"

pfaggotry kills good people and organizations that have flourished for centuries, pfaggotry is protected because they want to kill us [conservative valued folk] too.

The Baptist? he left, hence the rabid pfaggotry!

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The organization formerly known as the Boy Scouts is currently having its bones picked clean by high finance types who installed its current leadership to carve it up for serving.

It will never come back from this, other than in name only less every single other asset it ever owned.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
I was a scout making to "Life" rank....didn't Eagle due to car fumes and perfume. Made sure my son "Eagled" and he did, Now I have four grandsons in scouting so going around a second time to insure my grandsons "Eagle" as well. We have an excellent troop with committed leadership.

Since returning to scouting I am impressed with the about of young boys who want to learn how to shoot, fish, shoot archery and camp. I'm all in. You create an outdoors mans one kid at a time.

I CHALLENGE ANY CAMPFIRE MEMBER HERE WHO SPENT TIME IN SCOUTING IF YOU REMEMBER YOUR SCOUTMASTERS NAME? Most old guys do regardless of your age. My point is with so many years that have passed "YOU" still remember your scoutmasters name......kinda tells you the influence scoutmasters have on a young
boys developing years.

There is not one campfire member here who cannot have a positive influence to a young man's life in the outdoors... and I say to you .."WHY NOT?

Mr. D. Allen and Mr. J. Quinn.
Both were WW2 Airborne (101) combat veterans.

Thank you for helping proving my point......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Political correctness is poison.

This is THE problem in a nutshell.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[
A grown man having sex with a sexually mature young male is a gay issue not pedo issue.

These were Gay scout masters, leaders doing the damage
And destroying the BSA. Just like the Catholic Church

Eagle Scout 1979

quote=KFWA]I was 100% against them allowing gay leaders. But that said, if you followed the rules, it didn't matter if the leader was gay - and lets face it - if this has been going on for quite some time, its not a gay leader issue, its a pedophile issue long before gays were - at least out in the open about being scout leaders.

I was involved in scouting from 2007-2015 in some form. The rules are very clear. You cannot EVER be alone with a scout, in our troop, that included not even being in the next room. When we would do testing for memorizing oathes it would be in a hallway next to the main hall, out of earshot but in plain view of everyone else.

Adults could not stay in tents with scouts at campouts , period, not even parents. You want your child in your tent? then we encourage you to take the child camping on your own, this is a scout function, not a family get together. And every parent that went on a trip had to take the child interaction training - I don't remember what it is called, but it was an online class that took about an hour that spelled out the rules on the steps they are taking to protect against that sort of thing.

in no case could only one adult scoutmaster take scouts on a camping trip.

If there was going to be abuse happening to a scout, it was going to have to be a multi-adult organized activity which seems highly unlikely. The only thing we couldn't really protect against was two boys doing whatever in a tent after we broke for the evening.

I'm sure other troops weren't as dedicated to following these rules as we were, some were pretty loose, some had too few parents wanting to be involved and some just had for lack of better choices, adult leaders that had no business leading children.

That said, I guess its a numbers game - it was bound to happen at some point, but I can't believe it happened with the numbers they are indicating.

My son is an Eagle Scout. He is still early in life, in his early 20's, and I see the positive influence of scouting every day , not to mention that being an Eagle Scout has landed him two jobs.

[/quote]

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thats a shame. scouts is a great organization. i did 15 years and raised two eagle scouts and mentored countless others. in all the time i was working with the scouts i never, ever saw anything that could be considered in the least bit inappropriate. simple rules to follow and there is no chance for anything like that to happen.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
thats a shame. scouts is a great organization. i did 15 years and raised two eagle scouts and mentored countless others. in all the time i was working with the scouts i never, ever saw anything that could be considered in the least bit inappropriate. simple rules to follow and there is no chance for anything like that to happen.

My experience mirrors yours. That's why I think this is political. Men in America are under attack from every angle because we are the ones most likely to resist a communist takeover.

LOL
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Never have cared for clubs or groups.

Scouts at my elem school, some weird kids w weird parents.

Bad vibe

Nothing against scouting...just groups in general.
Was already shooting, hunting and trapping as a young kid.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/18/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I question the allegation that tens of thousands of kids were molested. Sounds like lawyers stacking the deck.

Maybe, but this has been going on for decades. Statistically, pedophiles molest children 200-400 times before they are caught.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ran the numbers once. As I recall, public school teachers are about 25 times more likely to molest children than scout volunteers.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

BSA's bankruptcy filing says that over 8,000 boys were molested.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
I ran the numbers once. As I recall, public school teachers are about 25 times more likely to molest children than scout volunteers.

I have a 7th grade son who has a flaming [bleep] music teacher trying to coax him into being on the flag team or chorus just the other day my son told me his substitute bus driver had a beard and wore a dress this [bleep] is getting out of hand I’m old old school and try to pass that gene to my kids but 20 yrs ago this was unheard of I’m good mind to March my happy ass to the bus garage and the school board and give them a piece of my mind

Last edited by earlybrd; 02/19/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ABC News
Dr. Janet Warren, who was hired by the BSA to evaluate its sex abuse cases testified that she worked with the scout’s "ineligible volunteer files" aka ‘"perversion files’s" and determined there were “7,819 perpetrators” and identified “12,254 victims” over the decades.
Link

"Ineligible volunteer files" spread sheets and searchable interactive map

This is the BSA own files and findings, not lawyers or bias opinions of others.
Most all of these cases have "timed out" and not prosecutable due to statute of limitations laws.
Nothing here is deniable.

The organization’s closely guarded “ineligible volunteer files" show that — at least from 1959 to 1985 — more than a few of the 1,247 men suspected of child abuse were not brought to justice or even kicked out of the Scouts.
These files were also long before girls and gay scout masters were allowed in to be involved with the BSA.

Some examples of text from these files:

“This subject and Scouts were not prosecuted to save the name of Scouting,” a Louisiana Scouting executive wrote to higher-ups in 1965. The “subject,” a 31-year-old Scoutmaster, had just admitted to law enforcement officials that he had sexually abused three brothers more than once.

In another case, in 1972, a Pennsylvania Scouting executive urged BSA headquarters to drop the case against a suspected abuser because he was undergoing professional treatment. “If it don’t stink, don’t stir it,” the local executive wrote.

In many instances more than a third, according to the Scouts' own count police and parents weren't told about the reports of abuse to protect the name of Scouting over their victims. Most that were reported to police were reported by the victims themselves or their parents, not the BSA.

This is what the problem is, this is why there are lawsuits, the BSA actions allowed for the same individuals to continue to abuse more children. It's plain to see when reading the cases in the "ineligible volunteer files" the same known abusers jumped from troop to troop, when trouble would arise for them in one area they'd just moved to another.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs

BSA's bankruptcy filing says that over 8,000 boys were molested.

I personally know a man in his late 50's that was molested repeatedly by a scout master when he was a boy on camping trips. Guy would come into his tent at night and fondle him and try to get him to do it . He eventually told other scout leaders and the adults he told laughed it off and completely dismissed him. In fact the mans wife found out and pulled him aside and scolded him. He finally told his mother and she stopped making him do scouts and told him not to tell his father. Said he's sure his father would have killed the man.

Last edited by k20350; 02/19/20.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,573
Posts18,453,908
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.