Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by cecilb
People who have shot Elk with both cartridges see any difference in killing power?
Thanks,

I don't care what bullets or cartridges others use, but it is common sense and simple physics that, in terms of retained energy and velocity, the 308 Win will become marginal long before the .300Win follows suit.

That's not common sense, it's just a cut & pasted ballistics table. You won't find much common sense or an answer to the OP's question in a ballistics table.

Two different cartridges using the same bullet will have difference capabilities depending on their muzzle velocity. Most children understand this concept at an early age based on what they learn at play throwing balls or bean bags or snow balls or other objects. .

But perhaps you are correct. Some people have a hard time grasping simple facts, like a car with half a tank of fuel can't go as far as when it has a full tank.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
People who have shot Elk with both cartridges see any difference in killing power?
Thanks,

I don't care what bullets or cartridges others use, but it is common sense and simple physics that, in terms of retained energy and velocity, the 308 Win will become marginal long before the .300Win follows suit.

That's not common sense, it's just a cut & pasted ballistics table. You won't find much common sense or an answer to the OP's question in a ballistics table.

Two different cartridges using the same bullet will have difference capabilities depending on their muzzle velocity. Most children understand this concept at an early age based on what they learn at play throwing balls or bean bags or snow balls or other objects. .

But perhaps you are correct. Some people have a hard time grasping simple facts, like a car with half a tank of fuel can't go as far as when it has a full tank.

Stop making sense. You're cancelling out others emotions.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks,

Ok smart guy. Will a car with a half full tank go farther than a car with a half MTY tank? :-)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks,

Thank you , captain M.O.T.O. Yes, it's abundantly obvious that two different cartridges using the same bullet will have different velocities. But as most children can plainly see, your "answer" is not an answer to the OP's question, because he didn't ask which cartridge will make a bullet go faster. And most children can also see that the amount of gas in a car's tank has absolutely zero bearing on the OP's question, which has to do with how well different cartridges kill elk.

But go ahead, come up with some more irrelevant facts, if it makes you feel good.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you , captain M.O.T.O. Yes, it's abundantly obvious that two different cartridges using the same bullet will have different velocities. But as most children can plainly see, your "answer" is not an answer to the OP's question, because he didn't ask which cartridge will make a bullet go faster.

The OP’s question was whether people see any difference in killing power. My responses are simply to point out the obvious – that a difference does exist and that at some range they will be visible.

And most children can also see that the amount of gas in a car's tank has absolutely zero bearing on the OP's question, which has to do with how well different cartridges kill elk.

It is an analogy. Tough concept for you, I know. Let me explain. The fuel in the tank represents the energy available to transformed into motion on the part of the car. The velocity of the bullet determines the energy of the bullet that can be transformed into (destructive) motion on the part of the target.

But go ahead, come up with some more irrelevant facts, if it makes you feel good.

Your responses to my posts are irrelevant to the OP's question. But that’s OK – I know I live rent free in your head. Deal with it. (laughing)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, try answering this one: have you seen any difference on elk between the .308, and the .300 magnum?

This should be interesting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DonFischer

Ok smart guy. Will a car with a half full tank go farther than a car with a half MTY tank? :-)

LOL smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, try answering this one: have you seen any difference on elk between the .308, and the .300 magnum?

This should be interesting.

Never shot an elk with a .308 but have killed three with a .30-06 and more with a .300WM.

Kills with .30-06 were at 25 yards, 45 yards and 282 yards. Kills with .300WM have ranged from 280 to 400 yards. All ranges lasered or measured using Google Earth.

Small sample but no, I didn't see much difference other than the ranges for the .300WM were much greater and I've recovered bullets when using the .30-06 and have not when using the .300WM.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So in other words, all of your posts on this thread can be summarized as:

"No."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"No."

All your posts in response to mine on thsi thread can be summarized as irrelevant. Must be the schits not to be able to ignore me.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If you read my post again, I was not talking ONLY about "cull operations." In particular read the part about the percentage of hunters who cannot shoot .300s accurately from a long-time African professional hunter and Montana outfitter.

Do they shoot 270's any better? Doubt it.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

"No."

All your posts in response to mine on thsi thread can be summarized as irrelevant. Must be the schits not to be able to ignore me.

Irrelevant? I think not. Think of my posts as a Public Service Announcement, they might save someone from reading 10,000 words when the gist of those 10,000 words is "no."

Besides, why would I want to ignore you? The entertainment value is off the charts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
peeshooter,

Both Finn Aagaard and John Stuver are convinced they do. In fact Finn wrote an article on the .270 explaining how more than one of his safari clients was much more effective with a .270 Finn used to rent for clients from a gun store in Nairobi.

I am starting to doubt your range of personal experience, as well as ability to learn from hunters who have more experience than you--which is one measure of the ability to learn.

As Will Rogers noted: “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by peeshooter

Do they shoot 270's any better?

Yes.

Source: John Stuver is my father.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"No."

Irrelevant? I think not. Think of my posts as a Public Service Announcement, they might save someone from reading 10,000 words when the gist of those 10,000 words is "no."

Besides, why would I want to ignore you? The entertainment value is off the charts.

the gist of my posts has been that at some range the difference between a .308 Win and .300WM WILL be noticed, but you don't seem to comprehend that or the fact that simple physics is responsible.

Rent free. In your brain.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Too funny, but it looks like you're paying much more rent than I am, sport.

The gist of your posts is really "I can't answer your question because I've never shot an elk with a .308, but I can cut and paste some ballistics tables and point out things you could easily find on your own."

The question the OP asked was really a good one, and it was pretty specifically aimed at those who've used both cartridges. And just like clockwork, the answers were 100% predictable. Very few people who've shot enough elk with both cartridges under different conditions to be able to give good answers, but many who are all too happy to display their vast knowledge of ballistics charts. And not too much mystery as to who would top the list and provide the answer to the question not asked: "what do ballistics tables show."

Any fool can quote ballistics tables. And any fool can draw the obvious conclusion that you keep repeating with a sense of discovery, that "at some range the difference between a .308 Win and .300WM WILL be noticed."

But that doesn't answer the question, does it? You want to talk about "common sense??" Common sense dictates that someone who's never shot an elk with a .308 should be listening, not expounding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used both, and killed quite a few elk with said rounds.

I've never felt under gunned with a .308 while hunting elk, even large, mature bulls.

And FWIW, anyone who says they shoot heavy recoiling rifles as well as rifles with way less recoil are talking out of their ass....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When y’all get tired of peeing on each other’s boots, try the electric fence....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks,

I've shot a half dozen or so elk with each the 308 and 300 (though in my case the Magnum was the 300 WSM).

The farthest I've ever shot an elk was with the 300 WSM, which wasn't very far at around 350 yards. I've taken one bull just over 300 yards with the 308. Otherwise, most of these kills were under 300 yards, with some as close as fifty.

I haven't seen a bit of difference how they kill, including one of my best bulls, an old 7x7, that I took with the 308 and a C&C 165 gr. at 80 yards.

The 300 WSM with a 180 at 3,000 fps seems to make more of an "immediate impression", but I haven't seen how that affects how quickly the elk die.

I'm guessing ranges need to extend well beyond 500 yards to start seeing any difference between the two, and then I'm not really sure what that difference would be? More immediate visual effect most likely. But again, how is a reaction to the hit "killing power"?

What really is "killing power" anyway?

Seems to me at the essence of "killing power" is the ability to accurately put an expanding bullet through the vitals of a game animal at the distance that game is being shot at. For most of us mortals, a lighter recoiling rifle is easier to do that with, so for me at least, the 308 provides more "killing power" at the ranges I hunt elk, and under the right conditions I'd be comfortable out to 500+ yards with the 308.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
And FWIW, anyone who says they shoot heavy recoiling rifles as well as rifles with way less recoil are talking out of their ass....

i have found this to be true as well ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.