Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just turned it on. The previews looked good, but they alway do, even if the end product sucks.
Kinda misrepresented the incident at Jumonville Glenn. We’ll see.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep, they missed an opportunity to discuss the controversy that exists today as to who fired first, at Jumonville Glen. Both sides were likely war parties, looking for a fight. History Channel also could have filmed the incident at the true location, as they did at Fort Necessity. I thought they did a pretty good job at depicting the battle at Fort Necessity.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For the average person, one who’s not a history nerd, I’d say it’s a pretty decent portrayal. They’ve simplified a few of the things, but it’s been several years since I’ve read up on our revolution, so I can’t pick out anything really glaring.
I think they might have done a little better at casting, but again, most people who aren’t nerds like me have no idea what Henry Knox or other historic figures look like.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guest Negroes have already bashed him, for being a slave owner.

I hit mute any time Bubba Clintoon has something to say.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A lot of people owned slaves back then. Wasn’t right, but nothing we can do now.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Watched Sundays episode yesterday and last night's today...enjoying it so far. Never put stock into who's casted to play the role, who cares. It's the history that matters. It's all interesting, no matter how many times I've heard it, learned it, or read it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Slooooooow

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tried this last night and got nowhere, so I am going to give it another go - the guy portraying Washington looks more like Ichabod Crane.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Why on God's green earth with the thousands of history scholars in this country, did they pick Bubba Clinton to defile Washington's documentary? Then they pick Colin Powell , the back stabber, to top it off. I'm trying to watch it, but I get tired of hitting mute and turning my head away. I wonder if Bubba ever discussed the greatness of Washington with Jeffry Epstein while flying to Pedo Island?

Last edited by reivertom; 02/18/20.
W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I tried this last night and got nowhere, so I am going to give it another go - the guy portraying Washington looks more like Ichabod Crane.

I thought it was Prince Charles

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I thought it was a pretty good series. Washington was an amazing leader.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Beyond having a bunch of candy assess who couldnt make it through what he ate for breakfast, let alone a week of his life, I thought it was about the best the modern day could offer the greatest U.S. President, ever.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, I think it was much better than I’ve come to expect from THC the last few years.
Some of the historians seem hung up on the fact that he owned slaves. I’m white, and I’m somewhat of a historian myself, so I can understand it being the context of the times. From my reading, I think Washington realized it was wrong, but like most planters, he also knew he couldn’t financially afford to free himself of the stain. Washington was very concerned about how History would view his legacy. Martha burned all their correspondence at his dying request. He was private and shy, a good writer but not a public speaker.
I was surprised by Bubba Clinton being on there. If he read history of some of the founders, he sure didn’t learn much about integrity!
Philbrick and Ellis I’m familiar with and have a favorable opinion. Others I’m not, so I won’t comment further.
They did simplify the Jumonville thing, and Washington’ Final role in the final taking of Ft Duquesne. He was an adviser on the Forbes expedition, but he insisted (incorrectly IMHO) that Forbes follow Braddock’s road. The road through PA, and the fort in Ligonier were invaluable in driving the French out of western PA. I’m from western PA and Ive studied this, so...
I’ve often wondered at his stubborn refusal to evacuate New York during the war, and his passion to retake it after the French fleet came over. Even an amateur like me can understand that the city was untenable without a navy to control the sea and the river around it.
Arnold’s betrayal was covered pretty well. I personally think Peggy was the instigator and the drive behind Arnold’s treason. Washington would’ve loved to get him alive. He actually sent men to enlist in Arnold’s British unit for the purpose of kidnapping him and bringing him to trial! I wouldn’t have ruled out assassination, but Washington did. I’m looking forward to reading Philbrick’s book about this, Valiant Ambition.
Washington was a diest, he believed in A Christian God but belonged to no particular religion. He had a belief that God watched over him physically and That “The hand of Providence” saved his army several times in the revolution. They left out this, and overlooked the words “so help me God” when he took the oath as president. Take that as you will.
Washington’s ability to hold an army together, despite congress’ refusal to help, and his talent for getting others to cooperate with him, in spite of their personal feelings towards him, was, I think, his greatest contribution to our nation. Both Gates and Charles Lee, probably a couple others, thought they’d make better leaders and actually plotted against him.
He had his shortcomings. We all do as humans. But Washington should e remembered as the patriot and the leader he was. I think they did pretty well with it.
Looking forward to Grant. Another man I admire.
7mm

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Yep. The series on Grant should be interesting. I’d like to see History Channel keep rolling these out. There are soooo many great people and stories for them to highlight. I’ve seen enough of American Pickers for a while.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm waiting on them to try to say the Founding Fathers were planted here by Ancient Aliens.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Finally the History Channel getting back to history instead of aliens, junk buyers, Canadian island money pits, & pawn shops.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve pretty much given up on THC, what with scripted reality shows and hoaxes like ancient aliens and project blue book! History is what you have proven, not some halfazzed theory based on what may be real or maybe not. Being a Christian, I also think they get off on blaming some scriptural history on space men rather then God Himself.
Wifey and I do watch the Oak island show, but according to the book that came out last year, Marty Lagina, who is one of the bosses and main money investors the project, suspects that one or more of the metal objects they found found were planted by the tv show! He said if he finds out it’s true, he will pull the plug on tv immediately!
When we first got cable in the 80s, THC always had pretty good programming. I watched an awful lot about American history, modern marvels and most of the biographies of famous people. Being a History buff, I was on cloud nine.
Somewhere along the line, they decided scripted “reality” shows like pawn stars was easier and cheaper than actually doing research! Someone should be ashamed.
I hope they start doing history again, I got no interest in swords or flying saucers. And Hitler died in the bunker! Even the damn Russians knew that! mad
Washington was much better than I expected. As I said, if you’re not into reading history, the little liberties taken for simplicity’s sake and time wise are no big deal. As a historian, I admit I was looking for inaccuracies and political correctness. Other than the slavery stuff by a few of the folks interviewed, I was pleasantly surprised.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 02/18/20.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by reivertom
Why on God's green earth with the thousands of history scholars in this country, did they pick Bubba Clinton to defile Washington's documentary? Then they pick Colin Powell , the back stabber, to top it off. I'm trying to watch it, but I get tired of hitting mute and turning my head away. I wonder if Bubba ever discussed the greatness of Washington with Jeffry Epstein while flying to Pedo Island?

I’ve only watched the first episode so far, I’m thinking it could be more of a hit job against Washington and an attempt to rewrite history.

We'll see.

Last edited by tpcollins; 02/19/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Pawn Stars will give you more accurate history.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
... History is what you have proven, not some halfazzed theory based on what may be real or maybe not....
7mm

Which sets it apart from science.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (7x57Hunter, 44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,618 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.