Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Looking into going to a semi automatic 12 gauge, which do you guys prefer ? I’ve had a Remington 870 for several years

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a cheap Girsan MC312 that is a close copy of a Benelli for a little over $300 bucks. It's a shooting son of a gun that I don't mind loaning out to family or scratching the cheap plastic furniture. My first inertia powered shotgun. The thing is built like a Turkish tank.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 66niteowl
Looking into going to a semi automatic 12 gauge, which do you guys prefer ? I’ve had a Remington 870 for several years

What are you going to use it for mainly?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Target=Gas and Hunting=Inertia

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Try the Franchi Affinity(inertia). I have one in 20ga. I use it for everything from quail to geese and turkeys. I’m very satisfied with it and it didn’t break the bank. Oh, it’s light weight too.

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
I have a Beretta AL391 Urika Optima and it's a bird-killing, clay busting machine that's a lot easier on the shoulder for a full day of shooting. Functions flawlessly every time. I would go with gas operated every time, but of course, YMMV. Of course, the current models are the A300 & A400, both excellent shotguns. My son shoots the Winchester Super X3 & has never had a malfunction and loves that shotgun as well. There are a lot of good choices these days.

Jerry
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

If you are happy with the 870 and it fits you good you may want to consider a V3. Same stock dimensions except the 870 has 2 1/2 drop at heel and the V3 has 2 7/16 drop. I personally don't have a preference gas vs inertia. Have fun shopping.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I prefer inertia, although have several gas guns. Its largely a reliability thing. I've watched more gas guns go down in the duck blind over the years than inertia guns. And most in my group hunt inertia. Finally, inertia is much easier to clean.

Having said that, my SX3 was used a bunch this year in the flooded timber and didn't miss a beat.

Find what fits you.

How's that for a non-answer?

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I prefer inertia, although have several gas guns. Its largely a reliability thing. I've watched more gas guns go down in the duck blind over the years than inertia guns. And most in my group hunt inertia. Finally, inertia is much easier to clean.

Having said that, my SX3 was used a bunch this year in the flooded timber and didn't miss a beat.

Find what fits you.

How's that for a non-answer?

You could run for office! wink

Jerry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I vote inertia .

IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have both, and I cast a strong vote for gas. Hunting or clays, I prefer gas shotguns. I hunt flooded timber for ducks, where I swear that I get a faster follow up shot with a gas gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never owned an inertia gun. The Benellis are over-priced, IMO and from some of the quality issues I've seen (mostly POI / POA problems) they may well be overrated.

That being said......... I have had both a Super X2 and a Super X3 for a lot of years. I'm still waiting on my first disappointment of any kind.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P.S. My buddy shoots the living snot outta his Super X4 in the goose field every weekend of the season and has since the SX4 was introduced.

He's wait on HIS first disappointment, as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Never owned an inertia gun. The Benellis are over-priced, IMO and from some of the quality issues I've seen (mostly POI / POA problems) they may well be overrated.

That being said......... I have had both a Super X2 and a Super X3 for a lot of years. I'm still waiting on my first disappointment of any kind.

Hmm I made it to AA Class and 4 punches shy of Master Class with a Benelli M1 Super 90. What are these quality issues? I have three all with over 30K rounds one with over 100K. It is by far the preferred gun for the dove fields south of the border! Arguably the best duck and goose gun ever made. Proof of this is it has been copied several times.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

That sums up my feelings too. I've hunted with a variety of pumps, Remington 1100's and 11-87's and a Beretta 391. I can't say much negative about any of them, but several years back I ran across one of the Benelli M-1's used at a price too good not to buy. This was right after the newer M-2 came out and some guy had a lightly used 1 year old M-1 and he just had to upgrade to the M2. He sold it to me cheap.

I simply fell in love with it. I shoot it better than all of the others. It is much lighter than any of the gas guns, even more so than my 870. Yes, it does recoil more than the gas guns, but no more than the pumps or a double. While pump guns are mechanically extremely reliable, they do fail from operator error. From my perspective I get the same mechanical reliability in harsh muddy, icy outdoor conditions without the chance for operator error.

But I'm not sure I'd want the recoil if I were a high volume clays shooter. I'm primarily a hunter who will get in a few rounds of sporting clays. The Benelli works for what I use it for

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Still have a Remington 20 gauge model 48, wonderful light kicking gun. Bought a Remington 11-48 12 gauge, same gun, different gauge. Kicked like h*ll! Gave it to my marine son. Both are non-gas, or inertia as I guess you call them. The 12 gauge seemed to have a double kick, an initial recoil impulse and then
another slam immediately after the initial recoil. I've got 12 gauge pumps, Ithaca featherweight 37 12 gauge plastic buttplate, for example, that kicks less than the 12 gauge 11-48. Always wondered if that heavy bolt slamming back in the 11-48 contributed to the sense in increased recoil.

Old guy, old guns.
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like them both also, am quite keen on the Benelli Montefeltro, as a lightweight gun that also has excellent shooting dynamics.

That said, I’ve never felt a more shootable waterfowl gun than Beretta’s gas powered A400 Extrema. It handles beautifully, evens works with light target loads.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Have both also, I'm guessing your mainly hunting with the 870 with maybe some practice clay shooting now and then? I think the recoil argument of inertia doesn't really come into play until using heavy loads, but recoil perception varies. I would have a hard time choosing between my benelli and the beretta 390. If you want to shoot 3 1/2 inch, 12s with any regularity I would say the gas gun for sure. Have used the 390 for many years before I ever shot a benelli so I might pick that one just because of my history with it and not giving up an old friend. I could hunt anything that a shotgun could hunt with either one.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First question below: Full blown target guns vs field guns tend to have different configurations. Most often barrel length for most, perhaps camo vs wood, high rib vs flat rib, straight comb vs monte carlo, etc....

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

What are you going to use it for mainly?

Give this consideration:

2nd Question:

How much are you going to use it? 1000 rounds per year, less or more?

Less than a couple flats a year, get whichever one you like. Beretta or Benelli would be my recommendations.

Last edited by battue; 02/20/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Doesn't matter in a quality gun. Just personal preference. Do you like where the safety is on the gun? Do you like a flat or stepped rib? Do you want a gun that shoots to bead or do you like to float the target? These are more important than inertia vs gas.

Inertia guns have a problem with the bolt coming out of battery, but you fix that with a spring upgrade. The point above about staying with a gun that will be similar to what you already know how to shoot is a good one.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V3 fits like an 870 and is very light and soft shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hmm I made it to AA Class and 4 punches shy of Master Class with a Benelli M1 Super 90. What are these quality issues? I have three all with over 30K rounds one with over 100K. It is by far the preferred gun for the dove fields south of the border! Arguably the best duck and goose gun ever made. Proof of this is it has been copied several times.

The vast majority of my own personal shotgunning, now, is turkey gun related...………….a lot of time spent at the patterning board with my guns and others'.

The most glaring quality issue from my POV is that way too many of the SBE's did not shoot where they were pointed at 40 yards. Some of them pretty drastically.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have owned many shotguns of both types and i now only have inertia guns in my safe but I dont shoot skeet or clays I only hunt with my guns, the inertia guns are more simple and cleaner.....Good luck...Hb

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by K1500
V3 fits like an 870 and is very light and soft shooting.

Yep. The V3 mitigates recoil very well. Even a bit less than my 390. Remington has done a good job with this system.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The vast majority of my own personal shotgunning, now, is turkey gun related...………….a lot of time spent at the patterning board with my guns and others'.

The most glaring quality issue from my POV is that way too many of the SBE's did not shoot where they were pointed at 40 yards. Some of them pretty drastically.

Most of the issues I hear of with a Benelli come from the SBE series of guns. I have two M1S90's and have hunted them in all sorts of conditions and have yet to be disappointed. Wet, dry, dusty, hot, or cold and encased in ice, those M1's chug right along doing their job. BTW, Benelli shotguns come with shim kits and that handles all but the worst of point of impact problems. Speaking of POI vs. POA issues, my son had a Winchester SX3 that patterned 18" left and about 30" high at 40 yards. Shimming isn't going to line that mess out.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Currently have both. Gas operated models are an old skb 1300 and beretta 390......both very reliable 12s and low recoil. The inertia is benelli monte 12 that is slimmer, just as reliable but with noticeable recoil by comparison.

A used 390 in good shape is a sound investment, every beretta gas gun I ever had shot 1-1/8 oz loads fast and smooth as silk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer a nice heavy gas gun or a recoil operated gun.
regardless of the choice, the lighter the gun the more its going to recoil.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You dont see many inertia guns at the gun club unless someone is trying to get a little practice in before duck season. I have two benelli m1, both in 12 and 20 and they are my favs. I use a beretta xtrema 2 for turkeys though, it really handles the recoil of the 3.5 turkey load nicely. Like the above person posted, inertia guns can "click" on you, my benellis haven't done it since I got the first 500 rounds through them, I do know the franchi affinity are famous for it too. I bought my son a 20ga affinity and it simply will not cycle target loads. The affinitys are great feeling/swinging guns, but what does that matter if they wont cycle.

I will warn you about one benelli, the wood stock montefeltro, those are the kickenest autos I've ever shot. We've even upgraded recoil pads on them but no avail.

I've never really considered anything other than a benelli or beretta, maybe a nice 1100 back in the day. I remember the browning gold hunters were having issues with receivers cracking, so I never took the chance on one.

Last edited by killerv; 02/21/20.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Zero need for 3-1/2" shells! ZERO!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

I would agree, particularly with the waterfowl hunting that I have done. I have never felt under gunned with a regular 3” shell. In fact, most of the guys that have guns that will shoot a 3 1/2” shell only use 3”.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Currently have both. Gas operated models are an old skb 1300 and beretta 390......both very reliable 12s and low recoil. The inertia is benelli monte 12 that is slimmer, just as reliable but with noticeable recoil by comparison.

A used 390 in good shape is a sound investment, every beretta gas gun I ever had shot 1-1/8 oz loads fast and smooth as silk.

As long as it fits, I’m not sure how you can beat a Beretta 390.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The benelli click is user error, not gun error. I've shot countless cases of duck loads out of benellis and only had it happen once, when I decided to [bleep] with the bolt to find out what all the beetching was about.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The benelli click is user error, not gun error. I've shot countless cases of duck loads out of benellis and only had it happen once, when I decided to [bleep] with the bolt to find out what all the beetching was about.

Yeah, I have never had it happen. And while coyote hunting I carry my shotgun with a sling walking miles over rough country. That shotgun is riding slung over the shoulder against a daypack and not once had the bolt been bumped out of battery.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

that's not entirely true, during breakin, it happens. Important to get about 500 rounds through the gun. Ive also seen where even leaning one up against a tree a little too hard, can make the bolt backup a bit to do it. I will agree, don't ever pull the bolt back to see if a round is in, this is probably the number 1 cause of the click.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by killerv

that's not entirely true, during breakin, it happens. Important to get about 500 rounds through the gun. Ive also seen where even leaning one up against a tree a little too hard, can make the bolt backup a bit to do it. I will agree, don't ever pull the bolt back to see if a round is in, this is probably the number 1 cause of the click.

Again, I don't know how many cases of duck loads I've shot through SBEs but it's over 25 and I've never had it happen.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Both being SA shotguns, both are going to hiccup eventually or on occasion.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by battue

I am waiting!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then if anyone is due!!!!😀

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Then if anyone is due!!!!😀

I should be! But she keeps on ticking.......

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
For pure ugly durability Benelli!!!
Have used an M2 at work for 22 years, around 30k rounds.
The only thing that failed was the pin that holds the magazine catch.
Every other failure has been operator failure, there is a learning curve
to keep them operating at below zero degrees.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I am waiting!

Me too... About 25 years on one M1 and probably 18 years on the other and they are still chugging right along.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger

22 years and 30K interesting. I think I had 30K in about two years. Three M1's, one with over 100K and the other two are both north of 30K.

The M1's have no equal!

Can't speak for the M2 have never owned one, but the M1 runs fine in below zero without the need to learn to keep them operating. Have hunted Sea Ducks in Alaska, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Rhode Island. Divers and Puddlers in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, Tennessee, Texas, and Vermont. The gun has operated fine in all conditions. So it has seen plenty of very cold days.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/24/20.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
One of the things with the inertia operated is they must be how do I word this properly backed up for the recoil system can work properly if they're not firmly against something to make them operate they will have problems. So for me tactical situation defense is out the window for one of those type it has to be a gas gun. I want my book actually a pump. Hunting you just got to make sure you get it properly shouldered. Sport shooting should be no issue at all

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ldholton
One of the things with the inertia operated is they must be how do I word this properly backed up for the recoil system can work properly if they're not firmly against something to make them operate they will have problems. So for me tactical situation defense is out the window for one of those type it has to be a gas gun. I want my book actually a pump. Hunting you just got to make sure you get it properly shouldered. Sport shooting should be no issue at all

I have an M1S90 Tactical that I have tried to make choke and puke by shooting light loads with one hand only. Hasn't happened yet.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MOGC

I have an M1S90 Tactical that I have tried to make choke and puke by shooting light loads with one hand only. Hasn't happened yet.

I guess they're not all created equal. But that's one of the selling points to the gas guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It’s probably a question that will not be settled with any degree of certitude here because, as in a women’s beauty, there are many differences of opinion.

I’ve had both types of guns over fifty years, when not carrying a double of some kind, including most of the Benelli’s and Berettas; also, Including the A400 more recently. There is an elegant gas-passer, no doubt about it...but heavy.

Much, in my opinion, comes down to the specific type of hunting. In my case, it’s specifically for pheasants in IA and SD, carrying the gun over miles of uneven or broken terrain In a day. Here, in my view, perhaps because I could be inclined toward laziness or weakness, I’ll carry an inertia gun every time if it’s a semi-auto. And I’ll carry the lightest inertia gun. Like the Benelli Ultralight. And in a 20,...though I have a 12 also.

The “gas guns” are much more complicated, thus heavier, and harder to clean well. Very few are not “clunky” in my hands. But, true, they are excellent in the standing shooting games where they soak up the recoil.

The inertia guns still amaze me, though, at their simplicity. I will admit to the heavy 12 ga. 2 3/4 loads to becoming wearing in the Ben Ultralight during a streak of heavy and fast shooting in the SD pheasant fields but that is “outweighed” easily over the long haul - literally - by their snap-shooting ability. Those very heavy upland loads are not really necessary anyway.

I will add an aside here regarding the Ben Ultralights and that is there is a serious problem with their proprietary recoil pads. They’ve been known to disintegrate on a new gun on the first pass through a field. And my two guns are less than two years old and both pads have had to be replaced. Benelli knows this and will ship a replacement pad quickly with no questions asked but that is not the answer. They need to address the problem which I presume they are.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MOGC

I guess they're not all created equal. But that's one of the selling points to the gas guns.

Who's selling point?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thank you sir!!! smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

22 years and 30K interesting. I think I had 30K in about two years. Three M1's, one with over 100K and the other two are both north of 30K.

The M1's have no equal!

Can't speak for the M2 have never owned one, but the M1 runs fine in below zero without the need to learn to keep them operating. Have hunted Sea Ducks in Alaska, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, and Rhode Island. Divers and Puddlers in Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Montana, Tennessee, Texas, and Vermont. The gun has operated fine in all conditions. So it has seen plenty of very cold days.

Your M1 runs better than the Super Black Eagles that are part of our Arkansas flooded timber hunts. No doubt, they shoot pretty well, but they certainly aren’t flawless. The best Benelli in the group is a Cordova. I have seen the Super Black Eagles hang up on occasions. Heck, just about every type of gun used has hung up or quit, over the years. I believe that even the Benelli guys in our group would admit that the Berettas have performed the best, over the 20 years that we have been duck hunting in Arkansas. The Berettas also behave a bit better with 3” or 3 1/2” shells. Nonetheless, everyone has their favorites, and everything pretty much works. I wouldn’t trade my old 390 or a new in box SBE III, or an A400.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have had Beretta that are gas operated, and Beneli that are inertial operated.

I sold all the Benelli due to excessive recoil.

Beretta does not jam in cold and wet duck hunting, even freezing....lots of guys repeating crap they have no first hand experience with.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

whole family hunting ducks and geese in Minn would disagree with this statement.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This IS a highly Chevy, Ford, Dodge type of thread......…......…

Granted, I don't have 10K rounds through either of my Winchester gassers yet, but I'll toss a small sales pitch for the function of said guns.

I bought my SX2 the year they came out. It's a 3 1/2" gun. I have shot everything (in quantity) through it from 7/8 oz. junkers that Walmart used to sell, to 3 1/2" steel and lead loads. When I got the gun, I had read of its reliability. So, I decided to not clean it in any manner until it had a failure to feed, fire or eject. After 7 years, I started to feel guilty and I tore it down and wiped it down on the inside a little. It never did nor has failed to function in any way...….clean OR 7 years filthy.

The SX3 has also never hiccupped or burped.

I'm a fan.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

The M1's have no equal!

Your M1 runs better than the Super Black Eagles that are part of our Arkansas flooded timber hunts. No doubt, they shoot pretty well, but they certainly aren’t flawless. The best Benelli in the group is a Cordova. I have seen the Super Black Eagles hang up on occasions. Heck, just about every type of gun used has hung up or quit, over the years. I believe that even the Benelli guys in our group would admit that the Berettas have performed the best, over the 20 years that we have been duck hunting in Arkansas. The Berettas also behave a bit better with 3” or 3 1/2” shells. Nonetheless, everyone has their favorites, and everything pretty much works. I wouldn’t trade my old 390 or a new in box SBE III, or an A400.

No doubt that both the 390 and 391 are awesome guns. I have owned both. I can't speak for the A400 yet as I have not shot enough rounds out of one but overall opinion is it is a fine gun as well. But the reality is that a Benelli M1 is a whole lot less maintenance than a gas gun. I only clean my gun when it gets wet. I don't shoot 3-1/2" shells and have zero reason to ever start. If someone can't kill it with a 3" shell they might want to practice some and or make better shot choices.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

This IS a highly Chevy, Ford, Dodge type of thread......…......…

I'm a fan.

Yes Brand wise sure. But the Inertia vs Gas isn't a brand thing it is an actual functional difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

The M1's have no equal!

I'll repeat this, most Benelli issues I hear of are the SBE series.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Nothing, from Canada to LA, has been as dead nuts reliable for me on waterfowl, in all conditions, as a Browning Auto 5, period. I’ve owned Benelli SBEs, M1s, Beretta 390/391 and others, Remingtons, and more. I’ve had to fix or fiddle with all of them to keep them running...mine and those of others in the blind, enough times that I generally stay with one of my Mag 12 stalkers. If I was hiking miles for pheasant, grouse, chukar.....general upland, there’s lighter choices. Even then, a SW16 ain’t half bad, and a Superlight 20ga Auto 5 was maybe the perfect quail gun. Regardless, none of the other types have the moving mass to defeat the crap thrown at a waterfowl gun, without at least constant maintenance. If you care for them daily, most will run fine unless the ice/grit/stubble/mud monkeys show up.....gas/inertia....doesn’t matter. Horses for courses and all that. JME.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I bought an inertia driven Girsan MC312 (made in Turkey) that has been flawless. For a little over $350 you can't go wrong. It looks a lot like a Benelli (probably a copy). If you end up not liking it you can give it to your BIL for Christmas. If it was trash I would have moved it down the road but I honestly cannot find anything wrong with it.

Last edited by model70man; 03/23/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll repeat this, most Benelli issues I hear of are the SBE series.

Some people complained the original SBE shot low for them. (not mine) They changed the rib to address this on the SBE2.

A lot of people complain that the SBE3 shoots very high. Apparently this has to do with them changing the Comfortec stock and making it too flexible,

Yes inertia guns have a little more bump to them than gas guns, which have smoother, sort of a "longer" recoil impulse. (they both kick less than a pump gun or a single or SxS)

What I like about inertia guns is they're simple. No o-rings, valves, pistons, ports.

Two weeks ago I sold one of my M2's. frown I still have two M2's, an SBE & SBE 2. I''ve had ONE "Benelli click' in countless thousands of rounds. The very first round I tried to fire with my original SBE. (That was a wonderful feeling.. "What did I buy!?") Because I slowly closed the bolt rather than letting go with some oomph. IIRC this is more of an issue with the older guns (M1, original SBE) and was addressed to some degree since then.

The correct answer to gas or inertia is "yes". You should own both. And long recoil. Maybe even short recoil if you can find one. wink

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My 2 cents, and I use shotguns heaps for shooting hogs mainly

I love both Gas and Inertia. And I have both. A Benelli M2 and a Beretta Xtrema Plus.

I think Gas guns are better when Im shooting in Dusty conditions. I find Inertia guns play up when they get a little dust while gas guns keep going.

But if theres no dust than the Inertia will go far longer than the Gas.

So it depends what you do.

Gas is Normally less recoiling. But has more parts to go wrong.

I use my Inertia Gun more as its a true work horse. Gas gun comes out when its dusty which is common in Australia.

Check out my Benelli M2 in Action:
Watch "OFAC Outback Feral Animal Control" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoaGE_aVOaRZdTI99asFBsA

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Browning Auto 5
Remington 1100

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.