Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
I have one of their light puffy jackets. It is not nearly as warm as similar jackets from others, but it was pretty cheap. Has been a well made and durable piece of gear though. Only thing I have from them.

Beav, my hunting buddy is all-in with Sitka. I'm probably wearing 75% Kuiu and the rest is random stuff that I prefer or just happen to have. If I buy timberlines, its almost like he wins, so I can't let that happen.

I hear the DeHaviland pants are good...

Don’t give in to the temptation....Stay Strong brother! 🤜🏼😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Heresy, I know, but has anyone tried any of the Kryptek gear for a lot less money?

Yep...I bought 4 Kryptek Typhoon Jackets! Best cold weather, rain, wind proof and light hunting jacket I’ve owned.

Bought 3 more cuz I know after a season, they would either change design, or eliminate the entire offering. I hate when that happens.

I’m also a closet hoarder, but without cats!

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

In Colorado you have to wear 500 square inches of orange including an orange hat. It makes no sense to put on some uber cool camo in that situation.

Why I like the Kuiu solids

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by KC

In Colorado you have to wear 500 square inches of orange including an orange hat. It makes no sense to put on some uber cool camo in that situation.

Why I like the Kuiu solids

I typically pick up the solids too. Some of the kuiu stuff is pretty good like their gaiters, rain gear and peloton shirts

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Beav, Typhoon is a camo pattern.... I think? God damn I hate deciphering marketing lingo.

Koldo jacket? All their [bleep] is named like ikea. There must be a warmo jacket for when it isn't cold?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
Beav, Typhoon is a camo pattern.... I think? God damn I hate deciphering marketing lingo.

Koldo jacket? All their [bleep] is named like ikea. There must be a warmo jacket for when it isn't cold?

Yeah, Typhon sounded better than gay-assed Purple Barney Camo....It’s the Stalker Softshell Jacket 😎

My first jacket cost $249.99. Then next 3 were on sale for $99.99. Now, they sell for $89.99

Sorry boys...Barney Camo is no longer offered.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Beaver10; 12/12/19.

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Prana Zion is a damn comfortable pair of pants that holds up way better than I ever would’ve guessed wish they weren’t so laughably short though.

I love my super down ultra hooded jacket. I spend a hell of a lot more time in a first ascent Eddie Bauer down jacket though.

I’m a fan of the Zions. As far as Kuiu I love my pelotons and just bought a set of Chugach rain gear to try.

Yup.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wear a mix of brands.

Prana Zion pants. Love them.

Kuiu 240 Peleton. Perhaps my favorite piece of clothing.

Arc’teryx Atom jacket. Fantastic.

Kifaru Lost Park parka. Warm and durable.

I do struggle with the Kuiu fit though. In general, they are not made for my shorter, stockier build. Sitka is better in that regard.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I can’t speak to Kuiu gear...Probably interchangeably with the likes of Sitka wares. With that said, I have found Sitka’s Timberline pants with the removable knee pads to be bomb proof.

I’ve worn these pants into hell for two years. Thorn tears, rocks, dirt, rain, snow and buckets of blood haven’t caused them to fail yet.

Going from wearing a poly/cotton blend military pant for 30 years. The Timberline pants have kept me drier, warmer, cooler, and lighter in overall weight. They’re like wearing tough pajamas. Crazy! 😎

This.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

PS

The First Light Sawbuck pants are badass too. Hard to find the olive green color, but great pants in any color.

The First Lite Sawbuck are my new go to for medium to warm weather....

I've a few pairs now. Game changer for sure.....

I have now switched from Carharts in the coues brush....
Have you tried the Carhart flex upland pants? For the $70 Amazon I was impressed. Though I'd like to get my hands on some Sawbucks.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Heresy, I know, but has anyone tried any of the Kryptek gear for a lot less money?

Yep...I bought 4 Kryptek Typhoon Jackets! Best cold weather, rain, wind proof and light hunting jacket I’ve owned.

Bought 3 more cuz I know after a season, they would either change design, or eliminate the entire offering. I hate when that happens.

I’m also a closet hoarder, but without cats!

😎

I have jacket, pants and vest in the Vellus line for colder weather, and jacket and pants in the Dalibor line for early season. Plus a thin, packable Kratos for layering, and a pair of Cadog pants for extremely cold temps, (which I haven't needed yet, even though some temps were in low teens and single digits). Used them extensive for the past two seasons, switching pieces in and out as needed. Very pleased with durability, lightweight and especially, the cost savings over the big three.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mix and match as needed and mostly giggle at people with matching camo outfits, but I do like Kuiu and mostly have solid stuff. Wore the hell out of my attack pants this year from mountain goat to bear to wife’s late season deer. Never could find a reason to wear the ultra down jacket though. I’d like to try the Tiburons And Kutanas still so maybe Santa will come through on one those. Hip vents, aka ball sweat reducers, are a great idea but maybe not unique to Kuiu.
While I’m glad they appear to be listening to those of who is who want orange, their orange is matte, not blaze orange. Really like my guide vest and wear it anyway.
Never tried their packs, I’m content with my current line up but did feel the need to upgrade clothing.

Not brand loyal, as I have a little bit of everything from Arcteryx, Kuiu, Sitka, and First Lite (wife has some First Lite and Prois mostly) plus Black Diamond and North Face. I find what works and pleases me, but I generally compare everything to an offering from Kuiu as that is my starting point.

Last edited by exbiologist; 12/13/19.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got several pieces of kuiu. The latest piece is the Axis Hybrid jacket. I ordered one size larger and it fits perfectly. Same with the other tops. All solids. I'm not a fan of their camo patterns. Sitka, Kryptic and even Redhead patterns look better imo.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All camo has its limitations although I have my share of Kuiu in solids and Vias. I always recall an article in a bowhunting magazine - maybe Traditional that took photos of popular camo patterns back maybe 20 years ago. After about 100 yards - all the patterns blended into one blob of color.
One pattern back then was called ASAT - I believe All Season All Terrain. It had large angular patterns that remained separate and distinct at long ranges and really worked quite well. As far as I know, the company is long gone and so is their pattern.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my Kryptek Vellus jacket and pants in Highlander. I layer underneath depending on conditions.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, Kingston - never thought it'd still be out there!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like kuiu stuff, but honestly I HATE their camo patterns, I deal with it but its certainly about the least of my choices if I am choosing. I hunt a lot of sage brush and they really don't have much of an option for sage. Sitka optifade works awesome in the sage. The old verde 1.0 was actually their better sage brush pattern. so what do they do they take the pattern and add black to it. IMO adding darker colors is a mistake with camo. If you are going to lean toward anything lighter colors IMO work better. I get the whole notion of break up. I was a predator camo user back in the day.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find what works for you . If thats an orange hoodie from walmart or a $350 jacket from one of the high tech companies so be it. I could care less what others do or what their motivation is.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's pretty much all I wear outdoors these days. I have several pair of their Attack pants and I've worn them hiking in MT and AK and they are the most comfortable pants I own. I have vests and jackets too that I wear daily, mostly their lighter stuff as I live in north FL and don't need much insulation. In all, I have about a dozen pieces, I like that fact that they are lightweight and they stretch which make everything easier. My only complaint is that their jacket sizing is totally unpredictable, I'm between XL and XXL and it's a crap shoot if it's going to fit the first time. Just sent a jacket back last week as it was way too big, had the same model two years ago that was too small, go figure. Durability is good and pricing is on par with other outdoor brands for similar quality.

Last edited by 257Bob; 02/11/20.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
After I get done buying my boots I pretty much don’t have any money left. So no I haven’t had the koolaid. I don’t hunt in wet country maybe that would show a difference, but my hunters that show up head to toe kuiu or Sitka don’t really appear that Much better off than me in black ovis, wrangler, prana, marmot precip (STP) or going out of business Sale brooks range puffy.

I’m not against any of though It’s obviously good stuff. I’m just not willing to spend that much more for it.

I did buy a Sitka base layer top at STP on a major sale so it was at a price point of cheapo brands.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 47 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.