-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TARKIO - "Might have an opportunity to travel to Dagestan for a couple weeks.

My son has been invited over and I am looking for anyone with some direct experience. ... "

Begs the question, who invited your son and why??

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by Snyper
Dagestan – Sufi groups in pursuit of the establishment of Sharia law.

says it all!

What it said was the Salafists were attacking the Sufis in order to establish Sharia Law.

They're all the same..................right? wink wink

Geno

Salafists are Islamic fundamentalists and are pretty different from Sufis who are seen by Salafists as a corruption of Islam. Sufis are not on the Sharia Law bandwagon.

You saw the little winky things?

The poem in my signature is Sufi.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Might have an opportunity to travel to Dagestan for a couple weeks.

My son has been invited over and I am looking for anyone with some direct experience.

I know some basics. Am trying to read up as I can. Thought I'd reach out here.

Handcuff your son to his bed the evening before scheduled departure. Apologize for losing the key and tell him you will make up for the plane ticket cost.

Everybody wins except the Dagers.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there a clear reason for invitation ?

Chechen tried very hard to establish the first Islamic republic there :

In 1999, an Islamist group from Chechnya, led by Shamil Basayev and Ibn Al-Khattab, launched a military invasion of Dagestan, with the aim of creating an "independent Islamic State of Dagestan". The invaders were not supported by the local population and were driven back by the Russian military. As a retaliation, Russian forces subsequently reinvaded Chechnya later that year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by persiandog
Is there a clear reason for invitation ?

Chechen tried very hard to establish the first Islamic republic there :

In 1999, an Islamist group from Chechnya, led by Shamil Basayev and Ibn Al-Khattab, launched a military invasion of Dagestan, with the aim of creating an "independent Islamic State of Dagestan". The invaders were not supported by the local population and were driven back by the Russian military. As a retaliation, Russian forces subsequently reinvaded Chechnya later that year.

Wrestling maybe? Its like their national sport there. I know years ago Dagestan invited foreign amateur wrestlers there to train. Former UFC Heavyweight Justin Wren talks about he was slapped by an adult male for whistling while there training in college. I guess whistling is considered very rude and a sign your an idiot there.

Last edited by k20350; 02/18/20.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you go too who will plan and run the operation to get your son out? And who will borrow the immense pile of Yankee greenbacks to pay for it?

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
There is a guy on the internet who travels all around the planet. Spends a lot of time in the former Soviet republic areas and what not.

He kind of makes a living challenging preconceived notions of places. Places supposed to be terrible.

He went to Dagestan. Found the locals to be friendly and hospitable. The YouTube channel is called Bald and Bankrupt.

Personally, I would give it a pass, but I worry too much!

Wasn't Ed in the 'stans recently?

I love the Bald & Bankrupt guy.

The hospitality of the people in the former soviet union is unbelievable.

I've traveled some over the years. Been to places that many would be uncomfortable with. One thing I have learned is there is a difference between showing up as a tourist, and being invited by a person or group that is hosting you.

This trip is for a group of young wrestlers. For those that don't know, Dagestan is the center of the universe for top-tier wrestling. If you've ever heard of Khabib, he is from Dagestan. Sadulaev, is the top, pound-for-pound wrestler in the world. From Dagestan. The wrestling culture is phenomenal and these boys have been invited to go and train with a few clubs in the region. Starting in Petersburg and then traveling south into Dagestan. I understand this isn't the simplest, safest opportunity like traveling to Edmonton. This is a once-in-a-lifetime training opportunity and life-altering experience. Trying to figure out what the reality is on the ground.

I note that not many people have chimed in with personal experience, and that is what I am looking for.

Last edited by Tarkio; 02/18/20.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It has "stan" in its name. Need I say more? I refuse to go anyplace where bacon is illegal.

Last edited by reivertom; 02/18/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The US State Dept has issued a level 4 travel warning which states DO NOT TRAVEL TO DAGESTAN. Is that not enough information? Don’t be a fool and risk your son’s life.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I lived/worked in Kazakhstan for three years both off and on shore and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and it was a challenge. On shore I was in Atyrau and it was not uncommon for expats to be rolled walking drunk on the streets then thrown in jail for being drunk in public. An early outing with other expats bar hopping had young Russian girls flat-azz grabbing ones crotch, mine included. So from there forward I learned to head from my apartment in Europe to my office via bridge or, in winter, right across the Ural River to Europe to buy ground meat of origin lost and taught a small shop nearby (they all sold vodka some apparently could make one ill) what Bombay Gin, via photos he had, point and shoot so of speak. A great but difficult time...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe check with SCI?

The lady who published the Hunting Report works there and she is up to date with traveling to many places. Hunters go to Dagestan every year to hunt tur. Perhaps she has some info?

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AB2506
Maybe check with SCI?

The lady who published the Hunting Report works there and she is up to date with traveling to many places. Hunters go to Dagestan every year to hunt tur. Perhaps she has some info?

Good idea.

Thanks

Montana MOFO
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by EdM
I lived/worked in Kazakhstan for three years both off and on shore and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and it was a challenge. On shore I was in Atyrau and it was not uncommon for expats to be rolled walking drunk on the streets then thrown in jail for being drunk in public. An early outing with other expats bar hopping had young Russian girls flat-azz grabbing ones crotch, mine included. So from there forward I learned to head from my apartment in Europe to my office via bridge or, in winter, right across the Ural River to Europe to buy ground meat of origin lost and taught a small shop nearby (they all sold vodka some apparently could make one ill) what Bombay Gin, via photos he had, point and shoot so of speak. A great but difficult time...

Okay.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
As I said before, I have traveled in areas that are sketchy at best.

I enjoy seeing those parts of the world many would never.

Throw my kid into the mix and obviously the calculus changes.

Really one of my biggest concerns would be flying regional airlines. I am looking into how they will be traveling from St Petersburg to Dagestan and that will play into our decision.

I may be able to go as a chaperone. That I don't know about yet. If I can't go, then the decision making would be more heavily influenced by other specifics such as itinerary, mode of travel, etc.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'd love to see the Caucasus someday. If you end up going Tarkio post up some pics and a write up please!

This!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by EdM

Okay.

And Ed stated what, to me, is absolutely obvious.

When traveling these type of ares, do not get drunk or do anything to affect your ability to take care of yourself, if that makes sense.

Don't go messing around with the local flavors. Leave the women alone. Avoid gambling, drugs, drinking, etc. etc. etc.

Be polite. Be good guests. Be aware.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by EdM

Okay.

And Ed stated what, to me, is absolutely obvious.

When traveling these type of ares, do not get drunk or do anything to affect your ability to take care of yourself, if that makes sense.

Don't go messing around with the local flavors. Leave the women alone. Avoid gambling, drugs, drinking, etc. etc. etc.

Be polite. Be good guests. Be aware.

In South Africa I've hired meet and greet services, rifle permit services and drivers/tour guides from Air 2000. They're worth their weight in gold. They keep me safe by keeping from going where I shouldn't. I started to argue with a ticket agent about the legalities of shipping my ammo back home. I knew I was right, but the Air 2000 agent advised me to let it go. Everything worked out and his advice was great. I was a guest in foreign third world country.

Don't rock the boat, you don't want to be detained, their laws ain't our laws.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Maybe check with SCI?

Good idea.

Thanks

I just remembered her name, Barbara Crown.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't be going places you don't belong.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nuke that farking place.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.