Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Filaman,

Unfortunately, neither John or Bob is still with us. Both were born in 1928, but Bob passed away at 77 in 2005, and John in 2013, only a few days short of his 85th birthday.

I was privileged to know both men, though Bob far better than John. Got to hunt and shoot shotguns with Bob on several occasions, including my first wingshooting trip to Argentina in 1996. Only got to talk to John, both in person at several "industry" shows, and quite a few long phone conversations.

MD, what did you think of the writings of John Jobson, please?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My Shotgunning was personally autographed by Brister. I have a whole collection of his books but that is the only one he signed. I read his local newspaper columns and then his F&S columns. It was a REAL treat to shoot with him. I envied his life style as a youth and only later realized what a genius writer he was. He wrote a column 6/7 days a week from about 1952 until he quite in 2003 or so plus the F&S column and then the books.

And he did all of the writing plus all the field time. That has to be a real grind.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
jaguartx,

I always thought John Jobson was a very fine writer--and also thought he should have been the shooting columnist for SPORTS AFIELD instead of Pete Brown, who knew a lot technically but whose writing was as dull as gray dirt. Instead Jobson was the camping columnist, where he was better than OK--but his real passion was shooting and hunting.

On the other hand, I cannot remember Jobson writing much about shotgunning either at targets or birds. Back in those days, shooting columnists for the magazines then called The Big Three (FIELD & STREAM, OUTDOOR LIFE and SPORTS AFIELD) were expected to cover it all, whether the shooting involved rifles, shotguns or handguns--or hunting or target-shooting. My guess is Jobson cared most about rifles. Same deal with the Big Three--they tried to cover every aspect of hunting, shooting and fishing--including camping.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jaguartx,

I always thought John Jobson was a very fine writer--and also thought he should have been the shooting columnist for SPORTS AFIELD instead of Pete Brown, who knew a lot technically but whose writing was as dull as gray dirt. Instead Jobson was the camping columnist, where he was better than OK--but his real passion was shooting and hunting.

On the other hand, I cannot remember Jobson writing much about shotgunning either at targets or birds. Back in those days, shooting columnists for the magazines then called The Big Three (FIELD & STREAM, OUTDOOR LIFE and SPORTS AFIELD) were expected to cover it all, whether the shooting involved rifles, shotguns or handguns--or hunting or target-shooting. My guess is Jobson cared most about rifles. Same deal with the Big Three--they tried to cover every aspect of hunting, shooting and fishing--including camping.

Mule Deer, I know you've covered a lot of ground professionally, including being published in Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, and teaching a local writing course, but have you ever written a newspaper article? Just curious.

Seeing the original post about John Wooters writing about rifles in a Houston newspaper column seems odd nowadays, but I'm old enough to remember when guns and hunting were mainstream and seeing displays of rifles and shotguns in JC Penney, Sears, and Montgomery Ward was normal. Our local weekly paper has a sports column, and the writer will still publish the fish and game opening dates and will occasionally feature hunting photos of kids with big bucks.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
gaperry59,

No, I have not written for a newspaper. By the time I started started making a good chunk of my living freelance writing for magazines in the late 1970s, newspapers didn't pay freelance writers enough to compete for my time.

Back then, I was writing about fishing as much as hunting--especially flyfishing. The local Missoula newspaper's outdoor editor offered me an assignment to flyfish a local steam of my choice for a day, while a staff photographer took pictures. Then I could write an article for the paper, which would take at least a day--and they'd pay me $75. Even back then the smallest magazines I wrote for paid better--and I was also selling (somewhat erratically, though several times a year) articles for $250 to over $1000.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
That article was in regards to the re-introduction of the 250 Savage cartridge in the model 99A in 1971, which was the first year for that model. In 1975 they added the 99CD model, and it was also available in 250-3000.

Last catalogued in a 99 in 1983. If they'd changed the twist rate back in the 1930's or 1940's before the 243 came out, I still think it'd be popular to this day.

My earlier 99s in 250-3000 have all loved H4895.

My 99-A 250-3000 was built in 1972 and I bought it used.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Different powders have been mentioned for the 250-3000, Wootters cited IMR 3031. I tried it in my 99s, but I had more success with other powders. However, my Dad and one of his brothers used it in theirs with good results. Dad starting using it after reading about it from Harvey Donaldson. Davidson said Dupont had the 250 case in mind when they came out with IMR 3031.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by Calhoun
That article was in regards to the re-introduction of the 250 Savage cartridge in the model 99A in 1971, which was the first year for that model. In 1975 they added the 99CD model, and it was also available in 250-3000.

Last catalogued in a 99 in 1983. If they'd changed the twist rate back in the 1930's or 1940's before the 243 came out, I still think it'd be popular to this day.

My earlier 99s in 250-3000 have all loved H4895.

Always enjoy seeing you Savage 99-A.......remarkable wood on your classic rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Beautiful rifle! Never had a post-1960 99A, but they are slowly growing on me.

I'm a sucker for the older 250's though.

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

[Linked Image from savagefest.net]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Those are some nice 250s.

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My 1946 99 is not tapped for a scope. Should I decide to have that done, what would it do to its value? Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CF member, BullShooter weighed in on the origin of the Wootter's article.

I'd guess that the article is from Gun Week, a tabloid newsprint publication out of Ohio. Neal Knox was the founding editor in 1966, but he left after a couple of years to become editor of Handloder and Rifle magazines in late 1968.

In early issues of Handloader, Wooters is included on the list of Staff with the added credential as "Associate Editor, Gun Week".

I came across an article where Wootters indicated he wrote for Gun Week.

Thursday, February 12, 2004 West Kerr Current Page 9
Currently Outdoors
John Wootters

"For me, at least, reloads
offered one more advantage:
recreation. Assembling my
own loads was and is one of
my favorite pastimes. I enjoy
the process itself, finding it
both relaxing and mentally
challenging. Over the years,
I’ve made much of my livelihood writing about the subject, having published two
books on reloading and
served as handloading editor/columnist for SHOOTING TIMES, THE RIFLE,
HANDLOADER, Petersen’s
HUNTING, GUNS &
AMMO, GUN WEEK newspaper, and other publications."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
My 1946 99 is not tapped for a scope. Should I decide to have that done, what would it do to its value? Happy Trails

Drilling holes would drop the value by a couple hundred dollars.

What I would do instead is get hold of a member here by the handle of Lightfoot. He can hook you up with a modified scope base that doesn't require drilling any new holes. It uses the two existing tang holes, and the rear sight slot (like the old Stith mounts did). It's sturdy and works well.

Like this:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
CF member, BullShooter weighed in on the origin of the Wootter's article. ...

roundoak et al.-
The article entitled "Savage's Revival of .250/3000 Cartridge Best News Of Season", written by John Wootters, appeared in the tabloid publication Gun Week, Volume 6, Issue 231, dated April 16, 1971.

I did guess correctly the name of the magazine.

Then I supplied the staff of the inter-library loan division of the Van Pelt Library with only that probable name, likely year of publication, and the article's title and author . Using that sketchy information they went to work with uncanny swiftness and helpfulness. In less than six hours they were able to locate a collection of back issues of the publication, confirm the article's presence, provide a complete citation for it, and supply me with pdf copies of the two pages on which the article appeared.

--Bob

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,

That is outstanding detective work by you and Van Pelt Library division staff.

Wayne

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
For those of you who have never seen a Gun Week newspaper of yesteryear, here is what BullShooter came up with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,832
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.