Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well, I have made the deposit for the lifelong dream (and belated 40th birthday self-gift). I have secured dates for June '21 in Namibia with Kowas. This has been based on country recommendations by some of you guys here. JGRaider very highly recommended Kowas, nad besides some minor miscommunication (which pushed the dates back to 2021), they have been a pleasure to deal with.
At this point all I have planned are the dates and the fact that my wife will join as a non-hunting observer. We are planning some non hunting sight-seeing and I'm torn between the Erindi reserve or Sossusvlei desert lodge (non-game viewing, but majestic landscapes, from what I gather)

Wished for "trophies" are Kudu, Impala, Gemsbok and warthog, but I may be open to some other ones, if opportunity and budget permit.

Not sure on taxidermy, as I know it increases cost, but I would hate to regret not having some to reminisce, so open to suggestions.

So for you gentlemen versed in African Plains Game.

Any other trophy recommendations or places to see? Budget is not unlimited, and I would rather shoot more animals, than get more expensive trophies, but if it needs some stretching, I'd be ok with tuna and saltines for a bit.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congrats Sponxx, you will have the time of your life. Jacques and Mattheus are hunting and tracking machines, and has to bee seen to be believed actually. They know how to find big kudu bulls too. I drug my buddy and his son with me over there last time I went. My buddy's son killed a 58" kudu with Jacques. They worked for it though, for sure.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would consider a Blue Wildebeest also, they make a gorgeous mount. One more thing to ask is about multiple wart hogs or Impala. When I hunted it was half price after the first trophy was taken. Different ranch though.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Start saving for extras...you'll need a Red Hartebeest and a Springbok at least, both indigenous to Namibia...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hell, start saving for the inevitable next trip!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Definitely add Cape Heartbeast. Namibia has some of the largest. One I shot would have placed #13 in the Safari Club Records at the time, trophy fees are usually reasonable. If free roaming then Springbok they are very pretty antelope and are similar to hunting pronghorn. Some areas have black impala but not sure if you can import them. Add some days if you can and also add more trophy fees. Also inquire if you can take multiples of a species. I always see a bigger one after I have one on the ground, this happened with Kudu in Namibia shot a 60" and then a day later saw one 65" or more, I didn't know I could have taken a second one.

Etosha Pan is incredible especially if there is water in the pans and the thousands of flamingos there. I rented a car and did a DIY tour, saw three of the big five except leopard and buffalo, got chased by a cow elephant. They have some of the largest by body size of all elephant. The Red Desert and Skeleton Coast are also very fantastic places to visit. The Waterbury Plateau or Caprivi if you want to see Buffalo.

Last edited by Tejano; 02/19/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Another vote to add the red hartebeest.

Sousovlei (spelling?) is well worth doing. Add some more touring days of f you can.

My wife and I are hunting with Kowas in the Caprivi strip in June 2021.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We had a great trip to Namibia in 2018 on a fenceless property (16,000 acres) that had elephant, lion, leopard and cheetah wandering through. Our trip was a run through Etosha, a plains game hunt combined with shark fishing the coast and an archaeological ATV ride in the Namibian Desert. A great trip no doubt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, you will have a great time.

Go with your list, but also have an open mind to take advantage of opportunities that present. You may get over there and after hunting for a few days may find an animal you have to have.

Taxidermy is a personal preference. If you want it, and is not a financial burden, go for it. It if is not a big deal, don't. For me, there is something very satisfying about going up into my room and looking mounts, handling skull mounts and admiring skins. Brings back a lot of memories.

My next trip I want to focus on kudu (skull mount), nyala (3/4 mount), bushbuck(shoulder mount), impala(skull mount), and bush pig(skull mount). I will take a bunch of pictures also.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't go to Namibia without harvesting a Hartsmann's Mt. Zebra.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll have a great adventure. I've been to Africa twice & a third trip is on the to do list.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Slider1

Yes this as there is always the chance they may not be importable in the future, but not likely. The Hartman's is native to Namibia and a small portion of SA only. I really like their stripe pattern.

Have we run your budget up enough yet?

RE: Trophies can get really expensive. Decide what you want mounted, which a scull mount will do, and which just the crown is acceptable.
The skins get expensive too. If you just want pillows or something it is far cheaper to buy them there already sewn up, not the same but a quarter or less the price. I would also suggest having some veldshoes or vellies made if your in Windhoek. If your PH will direct you you can send in tracings of your feet and have them ready for pick up when you arrive there. I had a pair of Kudu skin ones that were comfortable from day one with no break in.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slider1

I went on my first trip feeling pretty ambivalent about zebra's. After observing them for a couple of days and going after them with my hunting partner, I decided I want to hunt one. They are fun and challenging to hunt. So much, that I took another on my second trip. Both were challenging and fun stalks. I would like to say that I will not shoot another. But I have such great experience's hunting zebra's, I do not know if I could pass an opportunity for another fantastic hunt. grin

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
CRS; I had a similar experience, I had no interest in shooting a "horse" perhaps growing up in cattle country affected my views. A buddy of mine needed a Hartman's Zebra cape (long story) so asked if I would shoot one for him and he would pay the trophy fee. I agreed.

The hunt was amazing; fun, challenging. exciting. The Hartmans hunt went from doing a favour for a buddy to one the highlights of 10 days of hunting.The Zebra backspin is a treasured trophy.

So Sponxx add on a Hartman's zebra to your wish list smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Hartsmann's Mt. Zebra is excellent table fair!! I shot six the last time I was there.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes! Zebra is excellent table fare. I rate it right up there with Eland.

But the point I have been trying to make is to go over there with a wants and desires and to not be afraid to change. Perceptions change once the African dirt hits the boots.

My second trip I was ambivalent about Roan, Sable is what I wanted! Opportunity came up for a roan so I seized the day. The roan hunt was fantastic, took all of the hunt until the last hours to finally put it all together. Roan are challenging, fun to hunt, and beautiful in their own way. Very different than Sable.

Another animal that was not on my radar was Steenbuck. After drawing a blank and being fooled more than once, I will jump at an opportunity to hunt one again.

Last edited by CRS; 02/21/20.

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Indeed. Certainly the most difficult of my four African hunts and near a couple of Colorado high country elk hunts.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Can't believe it! Seventeen posts and no one has given you the 24hr traditional "You Suck" so...You Suck!! laugh Congrats on taking your firs step into a terrible affliction.!! smile

Not personally familiar with Kowa's but I'm sure you'll have a great time. Their main area is south of Windhoek and the good news is that region of Namibia has gotten some fair amount of rain this year. Still under average and can't really say "the drought is over" but at least that area might have enough to make it through another year. Plus, you've still got the rainy season for the end of this year/early 2021 to look forward to.

Don't over pack. Don't spend money on a bunch of "fancy crapp" and new rifles, clothes and other kit. K.I.S.S (Keep It Stupid Simple). Save money on taxidermy by doing simple European mounts and tanned flat skin rugs and use the savings to take a few more species - blue wildebeest makes terrific rugs/couch covers. Gemsbok flat skins are not so good - the hair is very brittle and won't hold up at all. Zebra - if you're doing a flat skin/rug - if it's going to be a rug that sees even a little bit of foot traffic get the black felt backing. It will help it last MUCH longer. Might be a good idea to ask Kowa's to send you a copy of their taxidermist's price list so you can get your arms around the various costs of different styles of mounts/tanning.

Your fun is just beginning - enjoy the ride!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was thinking the same on the "You Suck" M3 but was afraid it might be out of order for me to say it at all, much less be the FIRST with today being #172 until Botswana Blast Off for us. Now that you have the 1st one out of the way I will go ahead and risk being impertinent with the second, "you suck Sponxx" smile

Kevin

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
273 members (222Sako, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,806
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.