-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My son turns 10 in April and I think it’s time that he had his own first rifle. He hunts and shoot with me a lot, but he’s wanted his own rifle for a long time. I’d like to get him a good bolt action 22 that he’ll be able to use to practice for big game hunting. I’d really like to get one with a wood stock that will age over time with him. He’s a good sized kid so I’m not worried about getting a youth model at this point. I’m also not in the market to spend $1000 on a 22 for a kid. $400-$500 would be my absolute max, and less would be better. I want quality, but I don’t need fancy. Accuracy is also a must.

I’ve looked around and it seems like CZ would be a decent place to start. Outside of that I like the new Tikka, but they don’t come in a wood stock. Am I missing much other than those? I haven’t spent a lot of time digging through every manufacturer.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
CZ is a great option if you want wood stock. Tikka TX1 is stupid accurate and reliable. Ruger 77/22 is classic in design and looks. Marlin, and some used Remington, Browning & others might fall into the mix somewhere.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I’ve looked around and it seems like CZ would be a decent place to start.

Not only to start, but continue.
CZ452 if you find one in good state, or 457 Scout which could have different barrels swapped (and eventually the stock).
Top off with a Burris Fullfield 3-9x40 BP and he would be good to go into adulthood.

That's the one I probably would get for my kids at some point, but so far they shoot my CZ452 just fine off the bench

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What everyone else has said about the CZ Scouts, I have three, a 452 and two 455s, and they shoot with the full-sized guns, if not a bit better. I like the 455s a bit better, the triggers are a fuzz better than the 452s, but all of them can be tinkered with, and made a lot better. They come with a single-shot "adapter", and take the regular magazines. The 455s and 456s are already threaded for suppressors, have iron sights, and are just great little rifles.
I had a 455 American stock laying around, and put one of my Scouts in it, making it a handy gun for anything I might want to use it for. You can do the same with the 457s, but not the 452s, they use a different method of stock attachment. All the 455s and 457s use the same magazines and barrels, so you can mix/match anything anyway you want to, within the model #. Modular is an awfully handy feature, and you can, later on, buy him a .22WMR or .17HMR barrel to plug in, too.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That could be nice to have.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Browning TBolt with a wood stock sure is purty

If I'm not mistaken, they don't make the 77/22 in 22lr anymore

CZ would be a nice choice

Ruger makes the American in a walnut stock

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'd most definitely recommend the cz 455 scout for now and buy him a full size american stock for a few yrs from now. thats what i bought my 9yr old son this past christmas along with a ,gasp, leupold rimfire 3-9ao scope for it sitting in burris signature rimfire medium rings. it'll do its job if he is up to the task. my boy can hit 20ga hulls at 50yds pretty often with his off a rest.
good luck and y'all have fun and learn some stuff together,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A 457 scout has a threaded bbl along with an adjustable trigger.Can be had for under 400.Plus Cz quality.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
A rifle that will provide simplicity and easy to understand "manual of arms" is important for a youths first firearm, in my opinion. As you know CZ 452 and 455's have the safety that operate in the opposite direction than the standard US forward to fire operation. The newest CZ rimfire model 457 has the forward to fire standard safety. While you and I with a lot of experience with firearms can adjust to each individual firearms "manual of operation" someone as young as your son may need as much standardization as possible between his rifle and those you own which he may also use.

A bolt action with a forward to fire safety or a button on the trigger guard that pushes from right to left to fire with most likely match what you use and firearms he may own in the future. A Ruger American Rimfire is a very nice rifle with a tang safety, and the Tikka TX1 is a fine rifle with a big rifle feel from what I read. I am not a fan of autoloading firearms for a first rifle for a youth.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger American. The lop inserts are just too convient. Being able to change the stock for full size later is too just cool of a feature, For a very low budget I just bought a rock island m14y. $130 shipped, But doing it over I would just get a ruger American for 185 instead

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CZ are amazing rimfire rifles. Great looking too. Savage or Marlins are great shooters for the price. I have never warmed up to Ruger Americans . Ruger10/22 for a plinker, but they aren’t as accurate as i like.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Ruger American. The lop inserts are just too convient. Being able to change the stock for full size later is too just cool of a feature, For a very low budget I just bought a rock island m14y. $130 shipped, But doing it over I would just get a ruger American for 185 instead

Solid advice. Additionally, he will develop confidence in his shooting as they are accurate rifles.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The CZ 457 Scout looks like the direction that I’ll probably end up going. It’s got the correct safety, a little shorter length of pull, wood stock, accurate, and has the ability to be modified as he grows. I’ll find him a small scope to put in it and he should be all set up.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sounds like you have a plan. Don't be afraid of looking into the Nikon rimfire scopes. They are on closeout most places and will make a nice 1st scope for your young shooter.
Post photos of him and his rifle so we can cheer him on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a CZ Scout that I bought for ME! And, I'm 67 years old!

I put a 1" pad on it for a longer LOP.

It comes with a single shot adapter which can be changed out for five or ten round mag.

I put a 4X Leupold rimfire scope on mine. GREAT little rifle!

Virgil B.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I've got a CZ Scout that I bought for ME! And, I'm 67 years old!

I put a 1" pad on it for a longer LOP.

It comes with a single shot adapter which can be changed out for five or ten round mag.

I put a 4X Leupold rimfire scope on mine. GREAT little rifle!

Virgil B.

That is why I have three of the little rascals, too much fun😁. Handy as heck, too. I put a Beartooth comb set on two, but I like the short lop, when you have a coat on, for example. The other is in an American stock.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tract Optics also makes a very good Rimfire scope...I have a couple and they are very good quality for the $$.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter
A rifle that will provide simplicity and easy to understand "manual of arms" is important for a youths first firearm, in my opinion. As you know CZ 452 and 455's have the safety that operate in the opposite direction than the standard US forward to fire operation. The newest CZ rimfire model 457 has the forward to fire standard safety. While you and I with a lot of experience with firearms can adjust to each individual firearms "manual of operation" someone as young as your son may need as much standardization as possible between his rifle and those you own which he may also use.

A bolt action with a forward to fire safety or a button on the trigger guard that pushes from right to left to fire with most likely match what you use and firearms he may own in the future. A Ruger American Rimfire is a very nice rifle with a tang safety, and the Tikka TX1 is a fine rifle with a big rifle feel from what I read. I am not a fan of autoloading firearms for a first rifle for a youth.

My first 22 had a half-cock safety and my old Marlin 783 bolt action has the "backwards" safety. Crossbolts, three position wing, three position tang,..and that's just the rifles. All made in U.S.A.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,130 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.