-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had four different ought sixes over the last 40 years, that I can think of right now. Once had a M760 that shot tighter groups than I'd previously thought possible with a pump. That one liked 150gr Speers over 57grs of IMR4350 and accounted for several; deer..

That load also worked pretty well when I got the US Rem. and took about a half dozen whitetails. Although the 150+ pound buck I killed with that rifle, was dropped with a 165gr Btip. A tenant had tried them in his 300 Weatherby and couldn't get them to shoot, so I got the rest of a box. Used the 150gr Speers in another ought six I picked up in a multi gun deal. Zastava "M98"action w/pencil barrel. Very light weight rifle, pounded hell outta my shoulder. Scoped, it barely weighed six pounds and had a very narrow "butt" profile.

Picked up a box of Sierra 125gr Pro Hunter bullets, was gonna work up a milder load for that shoulder killer and put a better butt pad on it, but sold the rifle. Doubt I'll ever be without at least one ought six in the pile?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
I get a kick out of guys who call whatever cartridge "boring". Critters don't know or give a damn what cartridge you use to kill them. Dead critters on the ground ain't boring and the '06 will put them there about as regularly as can be.
..................................Well I am thrilled that ya got a kick from my last post....Well of course critters do not give a damn what cartridge is used to kill them as you say.....My post mentioned nothing about CRITTERS or turning living things into dead things!

Us rifle/cartridge geeks, as you obviously are referring to me, prefer flatter shooting rounds with better downrange velocities and energies. Does that offend you? OH WELL!

As far as the boring, bland, generic and common part? In terms of conversation,,,,, IT IS!

And don't tell me that I care more about making a fashion statement than I do about dead critters.......Any of my preferred (fashion statement) cartridges will work just as good and better than the 'ol 30-06 for taking care of the CRITTERS!!!!........The term "fashion statement" YOU COINED in this case..... NOT ME!

However, you are entitled to your knee jerk and wrong opinions.

Take a bath once in awhile and maybe you won't need to shoot your critters from so far away.
.......lol...lol......That kind of reply the best u can do azz hole?....Well Blackee. My first hunting rifle at 11 years old was a 30-06. Had it for many years...U have a problem idiot?...Cuz your knee jerk made up assumptions were not based on anything I stated. U like pulling crap out of thin air
don't ya?......Now GFY....

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the old '06. 59 grains of reloader 22 and a 180 grain speer hot cor is the load I use.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had two .30-06s. In 2007 I bought a NIB Model 700 SPS at Academy. I bought it because I'd always wanted an 06 in my stable. I put a cheapo Nikon Prostaff 3-9X40 with BDC Reticle on it. It was a great combo. I recently up graded the scope to a Loopy VX-3i 3.5-10X40. Actually, the Nikon served me well but the Loopy seems just a little clearer and brighter but not by much. I ended up putting that Nikon on an AR. It's still a great scope. All I've done with the Remington 06 since changing scopes is sight it in. Not hunted with it yet. But it killed more than a few with the old Nikon Scope on it.

About 10 years back, about three years after I bought the Remington, I bought a 1988 year model tang safety Ruger Model 77 used from my favorite LGS. I think I killed a hog or two with it. It was a nice rifle, but seeing I couldn't use but one .30-06 at a time I had it rebarreled to a 9.3x63 Mauser. When I bought the rifle my idea was to rebarrel it to a .25-06. Then I got the bug for a .35-Whelen. Then just before I pulled the trigger on the deal to build the Whelen a guy who's a member here talked me into making it a 9.3. I'm glad he did. I love that rifle too. My old .270 Winchester is still my go to rifle but like they say, variety is the spice of life and I like the ability to change things up now and then. I just LIKE GUNS!

Last edited by Filaman; 02/19/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My current favorite 06 load is a 200 Grain SGK over 56 grains IMR 4831. This load's pretty accurate for such a boomer and anchors hogs on the spot, DRT! A big soft Game King penetrates well on a hog and puts 'em down in a hurry. The 200 grain SGK is an under estimated overlooked bullet in an 06.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 458Win
And in closing, I will simply say I have tried a lot of the "newer" cartridges , some larger, some shorter, some flatter shooting , many newer and more fashionable but I have yet to find one any " better" for all around hunting than the 30-06.

And when you get really bored, you dump them with a 9mm!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a good shooting 30-06!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by 458Win
And in closing, I will simply say I have tried a lot of the "newer" cartridges , some larger, some shorter, some flatter shooting , many newer and more fashionable but I have yet to find one any " better" for all around hunting than the 30-06.

And when you get really bored, you dump them with a 9mm!

Maybe we could all agree that the 30-06 is the 9mm of rifles 😜

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I get a kick out of guys who call whatever cartridge "boring". Critters don't know or give a damn what cartridge you use to kill them. Dead critters on the ground ain't boring and the '06 will put them there about as regularly as can be.
..................................Well I am thrilled that ya got a kick from my last post....Well of course critters do not give a damn what cartridge is used to kill them as you say.....My post mentioned nothing about CRITTERS or turning living things into dead things!

Us rifle/cartridge geeks, as you obviously are referring to me, prefer flatter shooting rounds with better downrange velocities and energies. Does that offend you? OH WELL!

As far as the boring, bland, generic and common part? In terms of conversation,,,,, IT IS!

And don't tell me that I care more about making a fashion statement than I do about dead critters.......Any of my preferred (fashion statement) cartridges will work just as good and better than the 'ol 30-06 for taking care of the CRITTERS!!!!........The term "fashion statement" YOU COINED in this case..... NOT ME!

Take a bath once in awhile and maybe you won't need to shoot your critters from so far away.
.......lol...lol......That kind of reply the best u can do azz hole?....Well Blackee. My first hunting rifle at 11 years old was a 30-06. Had it for many years...U have a problem idiot?...Cuz your knee jerk made up assumptions were not based on anything I stated. U like pulling crap out of thin air
Nah, just don't feel like arguing with any more ass holes today and you're a big one. I thought you were dead.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Oh Scheit! Does it ever end on here? LOLOLOL!!!

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Nah, just don't feel like arguing with any more ass holes today and you're a big one. I thought you were dead.
......................No Blackfart...I am still around................Big ass hole??? Lol........Look in a mirror idiot and smile. There is the true and "assumptive" ass hole......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
liked my steyr in 06 so much I bought another just in case something hurt the first one. if it came down to just one rifle that would be it. the #2 would be the steyr in 9.3x62. getting old makes things work so much better than it should. yes best cartridge around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For me the 30-06 is unnecessary powerful for deer and the like. I think it comes into its own with elk/moose sized stuff. But that's the nit-pickings of a rifle nut.

I've used the 30-06 on antelope, whitetail deer, mule deer, black bear and elk. Limited to one rifle/chambering for the world, my choice would be the 30-06.

I always find it amusing people don't think of the 30-06 as a "powerful" cartridge. In the post-Weatherby era, perhaps it isn't. But to me it's a very potent round, and perhaps the ideal, all-around, every-man's elk cartridge.

It works:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

......................No Blackfart...I am still around................Big ass hole??? Lol........Look in a mirror idiot and smile. There is the true and "assumptive" ass hole......
I'm not assuming anything. Your posts over the years filled with drama and bullshyt and little of substance confirm it.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Brad
For me the 30-06 is unnecessary powerful for deer and the like. I think it comes into its own with elk/moose sized stuff. But that's the nit-pickings of a rifle nut.

I've used the 30-06 on antelope, whitetail deer, mule deer, black bear and elk. Limited to one rifle/chambering for the world, my choice would be the 30-06.

I always find it amusing people don't think of the 30-06 as a "powerful" cartridge. In the post-Weatherby era, perhaps it isn't. But to me it's a very potent round, and perhaps the ideal, all-around, every-man's elk cartridge.

It works:

If I ever get the chance to take an elk hunt in my lifetime I’m calling you! Lol. Awesome pics brother! I’m jealous we don’t have those animals to hunt here in Illinois.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I'm not assuming anything. Your posts over the years filled with drama and bullshyt and little of substance confirm it.
.....................You lie thru yer teeth there Blackie cuz you did assume things which were not true on this thread....Assumptive? Yeah. You were...To imply otherwise is an outright lie!.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
If I ever get the chance to take an elk hunt in my lifetime I’m calling you! Lol. Awesome pics brother! I’m jealous we don’t have those animals to hunt here in Illinois.

Nice of you to say RB... I married a girl from Illinois so understand where you’re coming from!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

.....................You lie thru yer teeth there Blackie cuz you did assume things which were not true on this thread....Assumptive? Yeah. You were...To imply otherwise is an outright lie!.....
I'm not the one who died and came back to life. You're a poser and that's easy to see. You may be able to fool the fans but you can't fool the players. Maybe you and Safariman should hook up. You might could ass shoot some bears in the next zip code and slap each other on the back, congratulating yourselves for being smart enough to use those big, flat shooting, hard hitting magnums to insure your success.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Brad]

Limited to one rifle/chambering for the world, my choice would be the 30-06.

-----------------------------------

First and foremost let me say........ FANTASTIC bull Brad. You can't know how envious I am. I've been applying for our Ark Elk hunt every year since 1998 or 99 whenever it began. NO luck.

I would not argue about the 06 for 1 rifle for the world IF we were limited.

However in recent years I've decided MY choice would be the 7 RM. Not that far apart and they share ammo availability.
I prefer its flattER trajectory.

Yes indeed the 30-06 is STILL a Great Cartridge.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There ain't much a man can't fix with a pickup truck and a 30-06.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 48 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.